Subject: missing page breaks in IDs

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:14:42 -0800

Is anybody else noticing that an unusually large number of IDs are
missing ^L's?  

Based on a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence, I suspect that there is a
mailer somewhere in the secretariat that is stripping the page-breaks
out of text-file enclosures.

--aaron

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:53:30 -0800

For each I-D I submitted, the Secretariat added an extra blank line
for every blank line in the original, stripped out the page breaks,
and eat leading blank lines (before the I-D header).  These problems
appear to have plagued a large number of submissions.

I reported the first problem (not noticing the second two right away)
and got them to fix that item for my submissions.  I have not yet
dealt with the remaining two issues.

Kurt

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:56:36 +0200 (EET)

> dealt with the remaining two issues.

I've noticed the same when sending off attachments from a Unix system, 
and it has been discussed e.g. at the tools list.  This has been going 
on for at least a year or so..

If the secretariat fetches the I-D themselves using HTTP, the message 
appears to be fine.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:19:29 +0100

> out of text-file enclosures.

That's possible, but also when you generate an I-D from a well-known,
widely-used proprietary document preparation tool, it is pretty flaky
about generating ^L.

My suggestion is to not worry about it. Since the RFC Editor always has
to repaginate I-D's anyway, the headers, footers and pagination serve
no purpose, and waste paper if you happen to print the draft.

    Brian

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:22:52 -0500

Brian,

> no purpose, and waste paper if you happen to print the draft.

I often find mispagination wastes far more paper than proper pagination.
It also leads to paper copies having important diagrams and text
broken in inappropriate places.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:23:02 -0800

> no purpose, and waste paper if you happen to print the draft.

My complaint is that now that we have this nifty ID generation tool,
xml2rfc, most *IDs* have headers and footers on every page.  Which is
very pretty.  Except it is annoying when it is in the middle of most
pages.

--aaron