Subject: Scheduling for Minneapolis - a proposal (fwd)

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:11:13 +0100

Marcia,

the proposal below seemed to make the WG chairs very happy.
If you don't see severe problems - please make it so!

                      Harald

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 15. desember 2004 17:01 +0100
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Scheduling for Minneapolis - a proposal

Based on many months' discussion about earlier schedule fixing, earlier
scheduling, premature scheduling, last-minute changes and so on.... I
looked at the (not yet announced) schedule for Minneapolis, and tried to
look at an alternative.

The scheduling-important dates are:

December 22, Wednesday - Working Group and BOF scheduling begins
February 21, Monday - Working Group and BOF scheduling closes by 17:00 ET
February 28, Monday - Working Group agendas due date by 12:00 ET (17:00 GMT)
March 6-11, 2005 ? 62nd IETF Meeting in Minneapolis, MN

This gives us exactly 2 weeks from last scheduling request to start of
meeting.

What if we added a few more dates?

December 22, Wednesday - Working Group and BOF scheduling begins
February 7, Monday - Working Group and BOF initial scheduling closes 17:00
February 14, Monday - Cutoff date for requests to reschedule meetings 08:00
February 21, Monday - Final WG and BOF scheduling closes by 17:00 ET
February 28, Monday - Working Group agendas due date by 12:00 ET (17:00 GMT)
March 6-11, 2005 ? 62nd IETF Meeting in Minneapolis, MN

The theory would be (not making promises, but what we'd try):

- Before February 7, all goes as normal.
- On February 8, the provisional agenda shows ALL WGs and BOFs, except for
those that for some weird reason *have* to be scheduled at the last minute
- We spend Feb 8-14 in the usual flurry of "but you can't make a conflict
over this" messages and having WGs jump all over the week
- On Feb 15, the provisional agenda will have a sticker on it saying "THE
GROUPS CURRENTLY LISTED WILL ONLY BE MOVED IN CASE OF INTERNATIONAL CRISES"
or equivalent strong language
- We ALLOW scheduling of WGs and BOFs who request scheduling after February
7. But we do NOT move other groups around to make room for them - they are
"second class requests" when it comes to resolving conflicts.

Does this make sense?

And the hundred-dollar question: Would YOU be willing to cooperate in this
by sending ALL routine requests for WG scheduling before February 7?

                           Harald

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------