Subject: IETF-61 Proceedings Web page

From: Rebecca Bunch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:05:09 -0500

The Proceedings for the IETF-61 have been finalized.  Please go visit 
the site (http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/index.html) and 
review your materials.  Please send any corrections to 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

The deadline for submitting corrections is Friday, January 21 at 17:00 ET.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

The IETF Secretariat
 
Rebecca F. Bunch
Foretec Seminars, Inc.
1895 Preston White Dr.
Suite 100
Reston, VA  20191
703-620-9053, x5365
703-620-9071

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:03:09 -0500

Excuse me but are you sure that this web site is complete?
The contents of

   http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/toc.html

do not match

   http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/toc.html

Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Rebecca Bunch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:16:56 -0500

I will look into it

Thank you for the information.

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:25:32 -0500

Sorry, the second URL should have been:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/proceeding_interim.cgi?meeting_num=61

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:29:37 -0800

At 2:05 PM -0500 1/14/05, Rebecca Bunch wrote:
>The Proceedings for the IETF-61 have been finalized.  Please go 
>visit the site 
>(<http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/index.html>http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/index.html) 
>and review your materials.  Please send any corrections to 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked].

How should we deal with formatting issues? Some of us minutes-takers 
used things like tabs and spaces at the beginning of lines, and they 
appear to be eaten by the conversion process. Should we report that, 
or just assume they're gone?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:51 -0800

> or just assume they're gone?

Paul-

I asked about this a few IETFs ago, as I use a lot of hanging indents
and ASCII bullets and such.  I was told that the secreatariat does
something to plain text files to html-ify them (if you've submitted
plain text, you know what I mean) and if we want to preserve any white
space we should submit HTML files.  So, what I do is bracket my nicely
formatted ASCII with <pre> </pre> and run it through htmltidy, adding
a .html extension.  The results in the procedings are just what I
wanted.  (See the dccp minutes in the procedings if you like.)  

My opinion is that so much of what we do is in ASCII that the
presumption should be that procedings entries are deliberately
formatted ASCII and should not be altered.  However, the effort
involved to get what I want in formatting (once I knew what the
process was) was small, so I don't really care whether the process
changes or not.

--aaron

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:31:12 -0500

At 12:15 AM 01/15/2005, Aaron Falk wrote:
>...  So, what I do is bracket my nicely

Brian's suggestion worked nicely for our minutes.

At 11:08 AM 11/25/2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>To preserve ASCII layout, do this:
>
>Insert a line at the beginning:
><xmp>
>
>Insert a line at the end:
></xmp>
>
>Save the file as whatYouWant.html and submit it as an HTML file.

thanks,
>       Brian

It would seem to improve efficiency if the submission
process accepted both ASCII-formatting and HTML. Otherwise,
there are bound to be many future proceedings corrections
whenever the surprising preference for HTML is overlooked.

Al