Subject: RE: Topic for WG chairs luncheon

From: "Jari Arkko (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:54:47 +0100

> The Edu-team is looking into scheduling the Wednesday WG chair's 
> luncheon for IETF, and wanted to solicit this group for suggestions on 
> what you would find useful.

Yet more ideas :-)

- What's on the roadmap of bodies like IEEE or 3GPP, what
  they expect the IETF to provide and/or how they use IETF
  protocols, how the relationships are organized, and who
  to talk to in these matters.

- An overview presentation on a technical topic that crosses
  several WGs or areas. What are the issues, what work is
  happening where, what hasn't been done yet, etc. The topic
  could be, say, voice over IP or IPv6 or IP layer mobility or
  ... The idea would be to increase awareness of how work
  in individual WGs contributes to an overall solution.

--Jari

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:05:36 +0000

If this happens to be useful (which I think it could be), I'd add that it 
would be useful to see one or two slides on the process behind generating 
these standards - because it differs significantly from that of the IETF in 
for example:

who says a docmument goes ahead;
timing of submissions;
approval;
and maintaining the final publication

Gorry Fairhurst

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:35:18 -0500

I wonder if these are WG Chair luncheon topics, or whether it would
be useful to have them in a general (GEN?) session?

Leslie.

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
> 
> If this happens to be useful (which I think it could be), I'd add that 
> it would be useful to see one or two slides on the process behind 
> generating these standards - because it differs significantly from that 
> of the IETF in for example:
> 
>>> luncheon for IETF, and wanted to solicit this group for suggestions 
>>> on what you would find useful.
>>
>>
>>
>> Yet more ideas :-)
>>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:53:15 -0500

> be useful to have them in a general (GEN?) session?

I know at this point, I was looking for WG Chair Luncheon topics.  I 
think for the most part any of them could evolve into general Sunday 
class.  The Edu team is looking at the possibility of more classes as 
time goes on.  Especially given the new focus on liaisons/relationship 
with other groups, I think this is an interesting idea.

Or did you mean something other then the Sunday class session?

thanks
a.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:11:38 +0100

On Jan 19 2005, at 19:35 Uhr, Leslie Daigle wrote:

> whether it would

Yes, please.  A session is (er, can be) less hurried than a lunch, and 
there are probably non-chairs that need to be there.
(But then, the chairs in the parallel sessions are a bit 
inconvenienced.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:33:09 -0500

Howdy,

Well, my thought was that the topic was broader than
WG chairs, and hence not a WG Chair luncheon topic.
I think the topic (or at least parts of it) is also
more about ongoing technical work than education,
so I'm not sure it's Sunday meat, either.

So, my question was to whether folks planning/participating
in other sessions (like Harald, planning GENeral ones) whether
it would be better taken there.  As Carsten Bormann
observed, more than just WG chairs should be interested
(and it is a challenge to schedule these general topics
so all interested can attend).

Leslie.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:39:31 -0500

Hi Leslie,

We had an excellent plenary presentation from Stephen Hayes about 
3GPP a while back.  Maybe you and Harald could plan a plenary 
presentation by the head of the ITU-NGN effort and/or IEEE 802?  I 
think that either would be very interesting.

I agree that these are not ideal WG lunch topics -- I was thinking 
that we might want to talk about the new PROTO process and/or discuss 
other topics that are directly related to chairing WGs.

Margaret

At 6:33 PM -0500 1/19/05, Leslie Daigle wrote:
>>  I know at this point, I was looking for WG Chair Luncheon topics. 
>>I think for the most part any of them could evolve into general 
>>Sunday class.  The Edu team is looking at the possibility of more 
>>classes as time goes on.  Especially given the new focus on 
>>liaisons/relationship with other groups, I think this is an 
>>interesting idea.