Subject: what w3c does with junk to archives

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:32:25 -0500

fwiw.  one of my older addresses was apparently used in a bunch
of messages, and this is what the W3C list manager sent back.

--Matt

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:32 AM +0000
From: W3C List Manager <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IMPORTANT: your message to www-archive

This is a response to a message apparently sent from your address to
[email-masked]:

    Subject: EXTRA INCOME MAKE MONEY WITH PAYPAL!!!
    From:    <[email-masked]>
    Date:    Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:53:02 -0500

Your message has NOT been distributed to the list; before we distribute it,
we need your permission to include your message in our Web archive of all
messages distributed to this list.

Please visit:

    http://www.w3.org/Mail/review?id=<real id elided--mjz>

and follow the simple procedure listed to give us permission to include
your message in our Web archives. It should take less than one minute
of your time, and only needs to be done once.

If you do not give us this permission by Tue Feb 15 04:32:40 UTC 2005,
your message will be deleted from our systems without being distributed
to the list.

Please do not reply to this message; for more information on this system,
including information on how to provide feedback, please see:

    http://www.w3.org/2002/09/aa/

Note: W3C's mailing lists may not be used for unsolicited bulk email
of any kind!

-- 
W3C Postmaster, http://www.w3.org/Mail/

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:41:58 -0500

> of messages, and this is what the W3C list manager sent back.

For what it's worth these sorts of challenge/backscatter messages 
are widely regarded as and reported as spam.

I don't think it would be wise for our archiver to send them.

						- Bill