Subject: Re: massive numbers of unsubscribes on ietf.org lists

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:50:32 -0800

James,

  The second MIME part of the notification should contain the bounce
triggering the action - were there any commonalities between them?

  Bill

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:05:34 -0500

Bill Fenner writes:
> triggering the action

Yep; I looked at them.

> - were there any commonalities between them?

There seemed to be quite a few that claimed "no such user."  Several
just plain said "failed."  Since I've used the "no such user" return
value myself when rejecting unwanted mail, my wild guess was that
somehow the remailer was elected into a spam hall-of-shame somewhere.

They weren't all from the same company, nor from companies in the same
area that might have gone out of business.  (In fact, _many_ of them
were from cisco.com and ericsson.se -- I'm pretty sure I would have
heard the news on the drive into work had either of those gone down.)

I'll try contacting some of the folks who lost out and see what
happens.

-- 
James Carlson, IP Systems Group?               <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:54:02 +0200

> heard the news on the drive into work had either of those gone down.)

Ericsson has changed into an @ericsson.com -only model from
an earlier @xxx.ericsson.{se,fi,com,...} model over the last
18 months or so. You might be seeing the results of the .se
addresses finally being taken out of service, although I
thought it had occurred already earlier.

If you send me names of the Ericsson folks I can check
their status.

--Jari

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:29:14 -0500

Send me the addresses and I will do what I can from over here to figure out the 
cisco.com side of the problem (if there is one beyond simple coincidence).

Thanks,

- Mark