Subject: Prototype WG status pages

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:34:41 +0100

Hi,

A set of prototype WG status pages is now available at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ and should include all now active workgroups.
It turns out that a few hours more is needed to add the meeting minutes,
so I release the pages for comments now, rather than wait for that to
be completed.

If you find the pages useful as-is, you're welcome to mention them
on your WG mailing lists.  I intend to submit an announcement to
IETF-announce after any necessary corrections and additions indicated
by your comments have been made.

The pages are updated once per hour with the following information:

	* Any new workgroups are added
	* Any closed workgroups are removed
	  (these two are based on the information in 1id-index)

	* Any new WG drafts are added to the appropriate page,
	  and diff and nits files generated

	* Any new or updated agenda page from ietf.org/ietf/mar05/
	  is added as an ietf-62 agenda
	  (The agenda pages are rendered with html links for URLs,
	  RFCs and drafts)

	* Status for each draft is updated based on the information
	  in all_id.txt

Known bugs:

	- The pages currently display links to charter, mailing list
	  subscription web page and archives.  All these are generated
	  based on a template, which makes the mailing list information
	  plain wrong for WGs which don't have lists on the ietf.org
	  servers.

Next in turn (as I see it now) are the following enhancements:

	+ Import and display the names and obfuscated email addresses
	  of the WG chairs

	+ Make ietf-62 agendas editable by the chairs. (Requires a
	  password which is simply any the current official email
	  addresses of the chairs.)

	+ As soon as there is an IETF-62 agenda page, produce a massaged
	  version of this which points to the editable agenda pages and
	  otherwise fulfils Thomas' requirements for a
	  one-stop-shopping version of the IETF agenda, with html-links
	  to drafts etc.

	+ Import the correct mailing list information from the charter
	  pages and correct the bug mentioned above

	+ Import meeting minutes from earlier IETFs, and display them
	  in the same manner as the agenda pages

	+ Add a scan for drafts related to a workgroup based on the
	  filename (should contain -<wgname>- but not be a wg draft)
	  and add these to the WG pages as 'related individual drafts'

	+ Add prototype RSS feeds to the draft pages once specified
	  in Stas' draft

Comments?

	Henrik

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:13:17 -0500

Report of a small bug - the "agenda-62" link in the dhc WG pages seems to be
a copy of the agenda from IETF 61.  We haven't submitted a draft agenda to
the IETF for the dhc WG meeting at IETf 62, as yet.

- Ralph

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:30:38 -0500

This looks reasonably nifty.  It might be desirable to have a better
description of the states.  For example making it clear that
rfc-editor queue documents are approved would be nice.

These pages don't seem to list published RFCs for working groups, or
at least I could not find them.
That's probably a bug.

--Sam

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:55:15 +0100

Henrik,

this is good - also in the current state.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:16:52 +0200

Hi,

looks great! At least for v6ops it also lists the published RFCs.

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:34:15 -0800

Hi,

I think the tool looks great.  I would love to add the ability to 
record WGLCs directly on this page, and possibly short notes as well.  
For WGs with a large number of work items, it becomes a real hassle to 
have to keep a separate tracking mechanism for WG documents for WGLCs 
and other key decisions.

It doesn't seem like WG documents which do not follow the WG draft 
naming convention are included in the list (they are included in draft 
tracker).

Also,  I noticed that one of the documents listed as a draft on the SIP 
WG page (compression) has been RFC 3486 for quite a while.  It would be 
nice if the tools page had a link to email corrections like these.

many thanks,
-rohan

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:06:20 +0100

Hi Rohan,

    Thanks for comments!  Inline:

> have to keep a separate tracking mechanism for WG documents for WGLCs 

Makes sense.  In the precursor to the current pages which I have been
running for MIP4 I actually have one feature which extracts mails from
the MIP4 mailing list which mentions e.g. 'last call' and a draft name,
and adds those mails as notes to the page for that draft.

I'll have to check the bandwidth and effort it would take to do the same
for all 120+ active workgroups, though - it would mean a substantial
increase of the mail flow to the server which is handling these pages
currently.

With these pages served from the secretariat servers, I'd say this
feature would be quite attractive.

Till then I think I could add the ability to add WGLC notes by hand -
I'll be adding the ability for the chairs to edit the agenda pages, so
extending this to WGLC notes should not be too hard.

> naming convention are included in the list (they are included in draft 

That's correct.  I've worked out how to handle those automatically now,
and I'm adding an action to my TO-DO list to fix this.

> nice if the tools page had a link to email corrections like these.

In this case, it's the metadata which the secretariat provides in the
all_id.txt file which is erroneous, so the best place to correct this
is by sending the secretariat a note.  If all_id.txt is corrected, this
will automatically propagate to these pages.

	Henrik

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:18:30 -0800

Henrik,

These pages are super!

> Till then I think I could add the ability to add WGLC notes by hand -

I like the idea of adding the WGLC mail as a document resource, but I'd
second a simple request to flag within the Active documents which
ones of them are in WGLC (and what the date of WGLC expiration is).
Perhaps this is what you mean by the WGLC notes added by hand?
This data would be massively useful to me as both a chair and an AD,
and I bet it would improve the flow for folks in a lot of working
groups.

Allison

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:04:12 -0800

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> on 2005-02-23 2:41 am Aaron Falk said the following:
> > 
> > Wishful thinking: It would be nice to have a tarball of the site so
> > that I can take it with me on the plane.
> 
> Mmm.  I'd have to convert the pages which are now script-generated
> to be static pages - not a problem, I think, but there's some work
> to be done, so it won't happen at once :-)  - and the size - the
> content is 2.8 G; I just tested tarballing it and it comes out as
> 77 Meg...  That would be 10+ minutes at full blast through my
> current pipe.  I think that's a bit too much, but if I put static
> pages in place, it might be feasible to provide tarballs of individual
> WGs.
> 

It's nice having the hyperlinks to the drafts & rfcs but I already
keep a mirror of the draft and rfc repositories, so (at least) I
wouldn't need those links.  I assume that is where most of the volume
is going...

--aaron

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:45:13 +0100

on 2005-02-23 2:41 am Aaron Falk said the following:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/
> 
> very nice!  very useful.
> 
>> 
>> 
>> Comments?
>> 
> 

	Henrik

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:41:05 -0800

very nice!  very useful.

--aaron

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:14:24 -0800

>> These pages are super!

	Definitely! These are great!

>> and I bet it would improve the flow for folks in a lot of working

	Also a very good idea.

	Dave

---

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:38:50 +0100

On Feb 23, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> That would be 10+ minutes at full blast through my

Hmm. Could you provide some sort or mirroring? rsync ftp, 
whatever...now THAT I would like :-)

- - kurtis -

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:31:59 +0100

> whatever...now THAT I would like :-)

Ok, I'll add rsync mirroring when the underlying structure is
stable - I have some structural changes I want to do which
would cause a lot of churn if they're done after people have
started rsyncing.

	Henrik