Subject: Fw: How the WG mail list archives are getting spammed

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:12:47 -0800

Hi -

I'm *really* getting tired of spam that has never hit the mailing list
accumulating in my WGs' archives.  We know that the archive software
supports a spam deletion feature.  Can we at least get a streamlined
procedure for giving the URLs to the secretariat so they can delete it,
since WG chairs and list admins apparently aren't to be trusted?

Randy

> From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 9:49 PM
> Subject: How the WG mail list archives are getting spammed
>
> Folks --
>
> It is possible to put spam directly into certain IETF-hosted WG
> mail list archives.  I have personally tested the following
> addresses;  many others are probably vulnerable.
>
> This REALLY needs to be fixed.
>
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
>
> Mike Heard
>

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:34:40 -0500

The dhcwg mailing list archive has been accepting inbound spam since at
least as long ago as August, 2003.  I've asked at least twice in the last
year that this problem be fixed.  I'm asking again that this problem be
fixed as soon as possible.

- Ralph

At 10:12 PM 4/1/2005 -0800, Randy Presuhn wrote:
> > Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
> <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
><[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
><[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:50:42 -0800 (PST)

I would suggest that chairs who have a problem with their mailing lists
should make their feelings known to the IAOC who are looking at
negotiating contracts for IETF services, including web, mailing list and
anti-spam services.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:10:35 +0200

I will raise this with the Secretariat.

     Brian

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 06:48:13 +1000

Thats an extremely indirect solution Bernard - surely there's a more direct 
method to solve this?

---

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:24:42 -0700

Sorry, joining in this discussion late, but I might as well join the
chorus.

Either a lot of spam gets by SpamAssassin, or is getting into the
archive directly as Mike Heard says.  I won't swear to it (since I made
only a few cursory checks and most of the spam I get has been deleted),
but I'm pretty sure the l2vpn archive has spam that I'm didn't receive
through the mailing list itself.  That makes the archive pretty much a
waste.

-Vach 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Geoff Huston
> Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:48 PM
> To: Bernard Aboba; Ralph Droms
> Cc: Working Group Chairs
> Subject: Re: Fw: How the WG mail list archives are getting spammed
> 
> 
> >negotiating contracts for IETF services, including web, mailing list 
> >and anti-spam services.
> >
> > > The dhcwg mailing list archive has been accepting inbound 
> spam since 
> > > at least as long ago as August, 2003.  I've asked at 
> least twice in 
> > > the last year that this problem be fixed.  I'm asking again that 
> > > this problem be fixed as soon as possible.
> > >
> > > - Ralph
> 
> 
>

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:32:35 -0400

My experience is that the spam in the archive has not gone through the
mail admin filter, but is going straight to the archive.  Not meaning to
try to reverse engineer and fix the problem - but the archive is created
by forwarding copies to a special e-mail address, so it might be the
case that the archive addresses have gotten out into the spam lists.

- Ralph

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:36:46 +0200

That's correct - the spam in the archives is generally there because
it's gone straight to the separate archive address.

Several tickets were posted regarding this a few weeks ago, and the
fellow who is administering the mail servers for the secretariat came
back with a plan for handling both the blocking of non-list mail and
cleaning up the archives.  

He hoped to have it all fixed within a time frame of 6-8 weeks, counting
from March 22nd.  The comparatively long time is due to this being queued
behind a migration task where mail and web services are going to be
split and placed on separate servers, if I have understood this
correctly.

	Henrik