Subject: 63rd IETF - Changes in Scheduling

From: IETF Agenda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:29:39 -0400

The following changes have been made for the Paris Meeting (detailed
explanation below):
 A - timing of sessions
 B - room set of two rooms

If you prefer your working group to meet in the room with the new
set up, please indicate that under e. Special requests: when you
submit your request for scheduling.

A - TIMING OF SESSIONS:
Monday and Tuesday
09:00-10:00 session (1 hour session)
10:00-10:30 break
10:30-12:30 session (2 hour session)
12:30-14:00 lunch
14:00-16:00 session (2 hour session)
16:00-16:30 break
16:30-18:00 session (1.5 hour session)
18:00-18:15 changeover
18:15-19:45 session (1.5 hour session)

Wednesday and Thursday
09:00-10:00 session (1hour session)
10:00-10:30 break
10:30-12:30 session (2 hour session)
12:30-14:00 lunch
14:00-16:30 session (2.5 hour session)
16:30-17:00 break 
17:00-19:30 plenary (2.5 hour)

Friday
09:00-11:30 session (2.5 hour session)

B - ROOM SET CHANGE
 At the request of the IESG, the secretariat has arranged for two meeting
 rooms with a setup that is different from that normally used at the IETF
 meetings. The differences are as follows:

   1. Chair arrangement: unlike the regular theater-style arrangement,
      chairs in these two rooms will be setup using the herring-bone ("V"
      shape) style, allowing for easier interaction among the participants
      within the audience.

   2. Radio microphones: in addition to the wired microphones, the new-type
      rooms will have three radio mikes--one for the speaker, and two for
      the audience. The latter should allow for easier audience participation
      without the need to go to the stationary microphone in the aisle.
      
   3. Whiteboards: in addition to the data projector and a screen, the two
      rooms will also have a white-board and markers that can be used for
      real-time technical discussions.

 The two rooms with the new setup are mid-size with a capacity of 75
 people. It will be possible to request these rooms when scheduling a WG
 meeting, subject to availability and capacity limitations. Also note that
 your WG may be assigned to one of these rooms even without a request on
 your side if the WGs that sent a request earlier preferred the regular
 setup and the only remaining rooms are those with the new setup.

 The idea behind the new arrangements is to conduct an experiment in an
 attempt to improve operation of the WGs. After the meeting, the IETF
 secretariat will collect feedback from the WG chairs and analyze whether
 it was successful and whether we should use the new setup more often.

 The WG chairs are encouraged to analyze past meetings of their WGs and
 think whether using the modified room setup would help make the
 face-to-face meetings of their WGs more productive. When considering this,
 please keep in mind that using the extra two radio microphones for the
 audience will require a dedicated individual (a WG chair or a volunteer)
 to move them around the room.