Subject: RE: New idea for early cross-area review

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:28:49 +0300

> So in principle [email-masked] is a filtered version of IETF- 
> Announce? I think that cross-area review is important but I am a bit  
> worried that just mailing out the I-D announcement is not going to  
> give enough information on which areas are/could be touched 
> upon. But  I think it's a good start that might be worth trying.

It might be nice to have some way of tracking the reviews, somewhat along
the lines of what GenART has done.  Also, it might help to have WG chairs
draft some text to properly introduce the draft, or to at least specify
any special requests for cross-area review (security, mobility, morality, etc.).

John

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:21:45 +0200

>>upon. But  I think it's a good start that might be worth trying.

Kurtis, it not triggered by an I-D announcement, but by a WG adoption
of a draft. That is not always the same thing as publication of a
draft-ietf-*-00 document. But indeed, we probably need to include
the title and abstract so that people can decide what's interesting
to review.

> any special requests for cross-area review (security, mobility, morality, etc.).

Well, the idea is to make it automagic, so that Secretariat has little or
no work to do, and the WG Chairs have nothing to do except handle
any reviews that are sent.

    Brian

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:15:56 -0400

> the title and abstract so that people can decide what's interesting

Well, the problem with this is that WG's often take on work for which no 
draft has yet been published.  In some cases, there may be a considerable 
amount of design work that happens on the WG mailing list or in a design 
team before any draft is published.  So, "when the WG adopts a work item" 
will frequently be _too_ early for meaningful review.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:08:55 +0200

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> draft has yet been published.  In some cases, there may be a 
> considerable amount of design work that happens on the WG mailing list 
> or in a design team before any draft is published.  So, "when the WG 
> adopts a work item" will frequently be _too_ early for meaningful review.

And that is not the proposal. The proposal is to do it at the moment
the WG formally adopts a draft. Physically, that would be at the same
instant as the draft is added to the WG charter page by the Secretariat.

    Brian