Subject: RFC queue documents stuck on a normative reference

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:47:02 -0400

I happened to be looking at the RFC queue recently, and noticed that
there are a number of documents currently blocked, pending the
availability of a normative reference.

I'd encourage you to look for documents that you are responsible for
(i.e., those in your WG!)  and determine what can be done to get the
normative references satisfied. Your options are:

  - remove the normative reference, i.e., by tweaking the text to
    ensure that the way the reference is used, it is informational
    rather than normative. (note: this usually means more than just
    moving the reference to the "informative references" section; the
    wording surrounding the use of the reference needs to be of an
    informational nature.) Also, folk really should look at this
    option carefully. In my experience reviewing documents, I've seen
    plenty of "normative" references that IMO didn't need to be
    normative. See section 1.1 of RFC 3967 for some additional wording
    on the topic of normative vs. informative.

  - followup with the stuck document and help to get it completed and
    published.

There's some 65 documents here. And some of been waiting many many
_months_.

To figure out what is going on for document X, go to
www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html, and see what document X is waiting
on. Then go see its status, etc. (You may need to do this
recursively.)

You might also find http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/iesg/rfc-deps.pdf
useful, as it shows the normative reference relationships graphically.

Thomas

Days	ID name
====    =======
2	draft-ietf-enum-msg
16	draft-zeilenga-ldap-assert
16	draft-zeilenga-ldap-readentry
17	draft-zeilenga-ldap-t-f
26	draft-rescorla-dtls
27	draft-ietf-sipping-cc-conferencing
32	draft-ietf-mip6-mipv6-mib
32	draft-ietf-simple-xcap
34	draft-ietf-ipcdn-docsisevent-mib
34	draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-label
47	draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines
66	draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-sec
69	draft-ietf-l3vpn-mpls-vpn-mib
74	draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cc
102	draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2401bis
110	draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3
110	draft-ietf-msec-mikey-dhhmac
110	draft-ietf-sipping-kpml
115	draft-ietf-simple-event-filter-funct
115	draft-ietf-simple-filter-format
117	draft-burmeister-avt-rtcp-feedback-sim
117	draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-feedback
117	draft-ietf-nsis-rsvp-sec-properties
126	draft-ietf-sasl-anon
131	draft-ietf-sip-guidelines
136	draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework
136	draft-ietf-simple-xcap-pidf-manipulation-usage
145	draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn
145	draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter
145	draft-ietf-ldapbis-models
151	draft-ietf-simple-xcap-list-usage
152	draft-zeilenga-ldup-sync
165	draft-ietf-ldapbis-url
185	draft-melnikov-imap-disc
191	draft-ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband
194	draft-ietf-ipsec-esn-addendum
194	draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2402bis
202	draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms
202	draft-zeilenga-ldap-authzid
236	draft-ietf-grow-collection-communities
237	draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis
243	draft-behringer-mpls-security
243	draft-ietf-mboned-mroutesec
272	draft-ietf-l3vpn-as2547
272	draft-ietf-l3vpn-rfc2547bis
286	draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm
293	draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2
297	draft-ietf-isis-igp-p2p-over-lan
303	draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-algorithms
303	draft-ietf-ipsec-ui-suites
332	draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements
332	draft-ietf-mboned-msdp-deploy
332	draft-ietf-mboned-ssm232
411	draft-ietf-ospf-graceful-impl-report
419	draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy
433	draft-ietf-ipoib-architecture
474	draft-ietf-imapext-condstore
495	draft-ietf-ospf-2547-dnbit
503	draft-ietf-magma-igmpv3-and-routing
516	draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-ccm
559	draft-ietf-magma-snoop
684	draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans
838	draft-ietf-idwg-beep-idxp
838	draft-ietf-idwg-requirements
853	draft-ietf-smime-symkeydist