Subject: Re: spam in mailing lists...

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:36:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi JP,

As far as I know there are 2 issues here...

1. spam clean up - the old archives were open to anyone sending them
   (we have closed this hole) and are working to clean the archives
   (web and text) as far back as we are able.  We have a test script
   for the web archives (which removes the spam from mhonarc) and are
   working on the script for the text archives.  If we are lucky the
   spam in the archives should be clean pretty soon.

2. spam getting sent to mailing lists and mailing list admins having
   to weed through them - this is a little tougher, we are using
   spamassassin, and that get's us somewhere.  There was a plan to
   test having per list bayesian configs - this wasn't scrapped but
   put on hold due to other projects.

   After spending some time with spamassassin bayesian filtering and
   crm114, the biggest problem I see is false positives (because there
   will be some) and figuring out to re-insert the mis-marked message
   into the mailing list, etc.

There were some long discussions about spam which I may not be
remembering, I need to refresh my memory and look back at the spam
discussion list.

Cheers,

sb. Scott Blomquist

   Cc: [email-masked]
   From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
   Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:12:27 -0400

   Hi Scott,

   Would you have any news on this front ? Since we keep being  
   "bombarded" by spam (at least 15 a week) on WG mailing lists which  
   requires regular clean-up ...

   Thanks.

   JP.

   On Apr 4, 2005, at 2:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

   >
   > Hi All,
   >
   > I just wanted to let you all know what the status is of the "spam in
   > the archives."
   >
   > What is happening is that the archive lists have been exposed somehow
   > and are being spammed directly without going through the mailman
   > interface.  This is a result of the current mail infrastructure.
   >
   > Right now we are in the middle of re-organizing the entire mail
   > system.  The next step is removing the exposure of archive mailing
   > lists.  I have to finish up a couple more tests then I can complete
   > this part.  This should happen in the next week.  After that we can
   > clean the text archives and look to cleaning the web archives.  At
   > that point I will probably need some more input from you all (should
   > the web archive be regenerated from the cleaned text archives or each
   > message clean individually, etc).
   >
   > If you have any questions please feel free to email them directly to
   > me, since I am not on this list.
   >
   > sb.  Scott Blomquist for [email-masked]
   >
   >