Subject: About the General Area review team

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:04:45 +0200

WG Chairs,

Many of you are aware from experience that most drafts that reach
IETF Last Call or IESG review are reviewed by the General Area
review team. This isn't part of the formal RFC 2026 process but
the reviews do help the General Area Director to evaluate drafts.
Quite often, they also generate constructive discussion with
the document authors and/or WG.

draft-doria-genart-experience-00.txt is a summary of experience
so far - comments welcome.

You might also want to look at
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/review-guidelines.html

     Brian

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:08:59 +0100

PWE3 has had two drafts go through this process and I think
that it has been valuable.

However I think that it would be a useful addition to the
process if the WG chairs were CCed on the review comments
rather needing to poll the review archive.

- Stewart

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:14:21 +0200

I agree; it's just that we don't have a tool that builds the
address lists, so the reviewers have to remember to do this
by hand. [to reduce cross-posting, I have bcc'ed this to the
gen-art list]

     Brian

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:11:03 -0700

If it's a tools issue, then lets get the tools in place. Anything  
that depends on me to poll random URLs with no trigger to do so has a  
high probability of failure.

At minimum, we could have any update to the review archive initiate a  
"read me" tickler to the relevant parties, which I would expect  
include the authors, the working group list, and the ADs.