Subject: Re: Working Group web page spam

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:24:02 +0200

on 2005-08-31 22:16 James Carlson said the following:
> Henrik Levkowetz writes:
>> There are many ways of doing this, of course.  One way which I've now
>> put in place for the WG status pages at tools.ietf.org is to have the
>> email address generated by a java script snippet.  The page presented
>> to a user who has Javascript running is unchanged, but the html visible
>> to a harvester is (for http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/pim):
> 
> This has the benefit that the link is no longer conveniently clickable
> for legitimate users,

Ehh??  Then you're making the assumption that the generalisation
"legitimate users" don't use browsers with Javascript enabled.  Do you
really mean that?

> and the detraction that it won't slow down a
> real harvester for more than a few microseconds.

I'm personally doubtful about including the <noscript> portion, for
this reason.  However, if you genuinely mean that harvesters now
interpret javascript, I'd be interested in the data indicating or
supporting this.

> Not much of a trade-off, if you ask me.  I'd rather just use good spam
> filters and hit 'd' when necessary.

That's what I do - but that doesn't mean everybody else are necessarily
happy going the same path...

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:59:44 +0200

On Aug 31, 2005, at 21:29, Nelson, David wrote:
> Once you post an e-mail message to any public forum, including an IETF
> mailing list, you're a target.  The IETF mailing lists are archived on
> the web, and the e-mail address "data miners" have figured out how to
> web-crawl those archives looking for fresh addresses.

Subscribing a simple bot to the mailing list is much simpler.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories