Subject: q: [email-masked] subscribing to multiple lists?

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:10:25 -0400

I just had an email address, [email-masked], sub to
both of the lists I manage.  I wonder if it's subscribed to a
bunch more...  possibly for a little bulk email or address
harvesting.

I suppose it could be some new archiver (or otherwise legit),
but when it subscribes quickly, with a odd yahoo address, and
with two different real names ("robert moore" and "dfsdsdf dfsdfd")
I get a bit suspicious...

Did anyone else just get a subscription?  Reply to me directly so
we don't storm the list, and I'll summarize the replies.

--Matt

(lists were ippm and pmtud for what it's worth)

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:42:23 -0400

In message <FB700A48C921C9BA4247ABC2@DCFF15AFC1F6764BA3927E50>, Matthew J Zekau
>(lists were ippm and pmtud for what it's worth)

Hmmm....

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:51:34 -0400

...

dfsdsdf dfsdfd <[email-masked]> has been successfully
subscribed to Ipr-wg.

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:55:13 -0400

Chiming in from the dhcwg mailing list:

                              From: 
[email-masked]
                                To: 
[email-masked]
                           Subject: 
dhcwg subscription notification
                              Date: 
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:50:50 -0400

robert moore <[email-masked]> has been successfully
subscribed to dhcwg.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:55:53 -0400

BTW - thanks for the heads up, Matt...

- Ralph

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:29:14 -0700 (PDT)

> (lists were ippm and pmtud for what it's worth)
Maybe getting them all - I have him on IPoIB

subscribed to IPoverIB.

I know there is nothing to do - but if this does turn out to be a spam
attack - how long will it take to get  him banned from all lists ?

For now I am assuming it is someone signing up for a LOT of lists