Subject: issue tracker...

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:56:46 +0100

Dear chairs,

I've been asked to assist a hopefully soon to be chartered group in 
setting up an issue tracker for them.  Do you have a favorite tool for 
this?  If so, would you mind dropping me a line off-list?

Thanks,

Eliot

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:30:44 -0500

Hi Eliot,

https://rt.psg.com/ is available for use by IETF chairs. I have used
it for Bridge WG and 802.1 MIB Doctor work. I know other chairs have
used the system as well.

While it does the job, I did not find it very easy to work with. YMMV.

I found that it required lots of cut and paste from emails. Since the
queues cannot be easily configured with personnel, the change requests
could not be created/added by others, so you end up owning everything.
When you cut and paste somebody else's comments on a topic, they
appear to be your comments, as a result.

Since IETF work is done on mailing lists, and all status changes must
be posted to the mailing list, the RT system becomes a duplicate
system for tracking issues. Since mailing list posters often do not
keep their subject lines accurate and mix multiple topics in an email,
it becomes a lot of extra cut-and-paste work for a chair to track
issues in RT. 

RT is a reasonable system, but I just didn't find the interface very
compatible with the way a WG chair must work (or at least the way I
worked as a WG chair). I find it easier to simply keep a text file (or
a web page) with the issues and their status.

You  might like RT better than I did. To create a queue, send email to
rob austein, and he can set up a queue for you.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eliot Lear
> Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:57 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: issue tracker...
> 
> Dear chairs,
>