Subject: [Fwd: dhcwg subscription notification]

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:23:55 -0500

[email-masked] is quite likely a bogus subscription.

Interestingly, [email-masked] also tried to subscribe to
[email-masked].  I would have thought nonmcom05, because delivery is
limited to the 15 of us on the nomcom, would have been pretty well
obscured from spam subscriptions.  Any chance there's a way to harvest
all the mailing lists at ietf.org for these spam subscriptions?

- Ralph

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: dhcwg subscription notification
> Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:25:05 -0500
> [email-masked] has been successfully subscribed to dhcwg.

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:22:07 -0800

> all the mailing lists at ietf.org for these spam subscriptions?

Yes.  The lists at ietf.org are managed using mailman, which allows
users to get a list of lists, excluding those explicitly configured to
be hidden.  Yours is not so configured, and from what I see, I'll bet
that very few are, if any.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:55:23 -0800

> [email-masked] is quite likely a bogus subscription.

nabble.com seems to be hosting discussion groups, and searching for  
"ietf" brings up some IETF mailing list content. No idea whether they  
do anything else with the harvested email, but on first glance it  
looks legit.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:29:05 -0500

I asked, and the default for mailing lists maintained at ietf.org seems
to be to advertise the list at http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo

- Ralph