Subject: Changes of URLs related to Meeting Materials.

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:00:52 -0500

Dear IETF WG chairs and BOF chairs:

During the IETF 64 meeting, we will move some web pages related to meeting 
materials to a server located in the meeting place, so that people can upload 
and download files faster.

They are:
Meeting Materials Management (MMM) tool
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/cgi-bin/wg/wg_proceedings.cgi), and
Meeting Materials Page
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=64).

At 11 PM, PT, we will shut down the MMM tool for about 10 minutes so no 
materials get missed out during the migration process.

The new URLs for those Web sites are:
https://onsite.ietf.org/cgi-bin/wg/wg_proceedings.cgi and
https://onsite.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=64 .

After 11:15 pm, any accessing to the 'datatracker.ietf.org' on those two pages will automatically redirected to those pages in 'onsite.ietf.org'.

Also, sometimes before Noon, Friday, the last day of the meeting, we will shut down those Web pages from onsite.ietf.org and move them back to 
datatracker.ietf.org.

Please let me know if you have any concern on this process.

Regards,
Michael Lee,
IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:24:55 +0900

Hello Michael,

I don't know why you need a new domain (onsite.ietf.org)
to make some of the data accessible faster. This can easily
be done with some careful configuration on the DNS or HTTP
level. Users then don't have to remember to choose a
different site during the meeting (most won't, anyway),
and much more people get the fast access. Maybe something
to think about for next time?

Regards,   Martin.

At 12:00 05/11/06, IETF Secretariat wrote:
 >After 11:15 pm, any accessing to the 'datatracker.ietf.org' on those two
 >pages will automatically redirected to those pages in 'onsite.ietf.org'.
 >
 >Also, sometimes before Noon, Friday, the last day of the meeting, we will
 >shut down those Web pages from onsite.ietf.org and move them back to
 >datatracker.ietf.org.
 >

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:16:41 -0800

On Sunday, November 06, 2005 02:24:55 PM +0900 Martin Duerst 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> be done with some careful configuration on the DNS

Because datatracker.ietf.org provides more content than the few
tools that are being moved to the onsite server.  So, making that
name point somewhere else would not be helpful, as it would break
all the other tools.

> or HTTP

They don't.  If you read Michael's message carefully, you'll note
that requests to datatracker for the resources that have been moved
will result in redirects.

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:32:47 +0900

>name point somewhere else would not be helpful, as it would break

True.

 >will result in redirects.

Then why do they have to talk about onsite.ietf.org at all,
give new (temporary) URIs, and so on? Why can't they just
say that some of the stuff will temporarily be inaccessible?

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:41:28 -0800

> say that some of the stuff will temporarily be inaccessible?

Transparency?

An expectation that some of the people using those services would
want to know what is going on?

An expectation that, if they're not told about it, some users will
see this unexpected name and refuse to type their passwords at it?

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:30:53 +0200

Dear secretariat,

the SIPPING WG organized two ad-hoc meetings during the last IETF. We 
would like to include the minutes of those ad-hoc meetings in the 
proceedings. However, the tool only allows uploading a single file with 
minutes per WG.

We will go ahead paste the minutes of the main WG sessions and of the 
ad-hoc meetings in the same file. Please, let us know if you want us to 
proceed in a different way (e.g., keep different files).

Thanks,

Gonzalo

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:14:54 +0100

Gonzalo,

Please make sure it's clear in the minutes that these were not WG meetings,
to be respectful of our process.

Thanks

     Brian

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>> During the IETF 64 meeting, we will move some web pages related to 
>> meeting materials to a server located in the meeting place, so that 
>> people can upload and download files faster.
>>
>> They are:
>> At 11 PM, PT, we will shut down the MMM tool for about 10 minutes so 
>> no materials get missed out during the migration process.
>>
>> After 11:15 pm, any accessing to the 'datatracker.ietf.org' on those 
>> two pages will automatically redirected to those pages in 
>> 'onsite.ietf.org'.
>>
>> Also, sometimes before Noon, Friday, the last day of the meeting, we 
>> will shut down those Web pages from onsite.ietf.org and move them back 
>> to datatracker.ietf.org.
>>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:07:38 +0100

By the way, I'm assuming that you made it clear that the IETF
Intellectual Property rules applied to these ad hoc meetings,
by reading out the Note Well or equivalent.

       Brian

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> proceedings. However, the tool only allows uploading a single file 
>> with minutes per WG.
>>
>> ad-hoc meetings in the same file. Please, let us know if you want us 
>> to proceed in a different way (e.g., keep different files).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>
>>
>> IETF Secretariat wrote:
>>
>>> will shut down those Web pages from onsite.ietf.org and move them 
>>> back to datatracker.ietf.org.
>>>

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:11:30 +0200

Hi Brian,

yes, we always state at the beginning of the ad-hocs that the ad-hoc 
meetings are governed by the same rules as the regular WG sessions.

Thanks,

Gonzalo