Subject: please post draft-meyer-agendas-and-minutes-00.txt

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:46:58 -0800

internet-drafts: Thanks

	wgchairs:	 This is the document that we discussed
			 at the last wgchairs meeting. Looking
			 forward to your comments.

	Thanks,

	Dave
---

Network Working Group                                           D. Meyer
Internet-Draft                        University of Oregon/Cisco Systems
Expires: June 23, 2006                                        O. Kolkman
                                                              NLnet Labs
                                                       December 20, 2005

On the Formatting and Content of IETF  Working Group Agendas and Minutes
                   draft-meyer-agendas-and-minutes-00

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on June 23, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).

Abstract

   RFC 2418 outlines the procedures for IETF Session operation.
   However, it contains little information about post-IETF meeting
   working group chair responsibilities.  In particular, it provides
   little guidance with respect to either form or submission deadlines
   for the artifacts of the meeting, namely, session minutes and
   presentation materials.  This document addresses the form and content
   of Working Group agendas and minutes.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 1]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Agendas  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     2.1.  Agenda Content and Formatting Considerations . . . . . . .  3
       2.1.1.  The Header . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
       2.1.2.  The Body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Minutes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.1.  The Purpose of Session Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.2.  Minutes Content Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     3.3.  Minutes Formatting Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       3.3.1.  The Header . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       3.3.2.  The Body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
       3.3.3.  Length of Submitted Minutes  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     3.4.  The Body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     3.5.  Length of Submitted Minutes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   4.  Encoding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   5.  Submission Procedure and Deadlines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   6.  Minutes Errata -- Correcting Mistakes  . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   7.  Format: General Layout Guidelines  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   8.  Encoding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   9.  Submission Procedure and Deadlines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   10. Presentation Errata -- Correcting Mistakes . . . . . . . . . . 15
   11. Recommendations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   12. Acknowledgments  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   13. Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   14. IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   15. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
     15.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
     15.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
   Appendix A.  Templates . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
     A.1.  Agenda Template  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
     A.2.  Minutes Template . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 22

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 2]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

1.  Introduction

   Section 3.1 of RFC 2418 [RFC2418] outlines the procedures for IETF
   Working Group operation.  However, it contains little information
   about post-IETF meeting working group chair responsibilities.  In
   particular, it gives little guidance with respect to either form or
   submission deadlines for the artifacts of the session, namely,
   working group minutes and presentation slides.  The remainder of this
   document focus on the format, submission procedure, and deadlines for
   both session (e.g., Working Group) minutes and presentation
   materials.

2.  Agendas

   RFC 2418 section 3.1 defines a clear role for the agenda as part of
   the session planning.  It states:

      For coordinated, structured WG interactions, the Chair(s) MUST
      publish a draft agenda well in advance of the actual session. The
      agenda should contain at least:

      - The items for discussion;
      - The estimated time necessary per item; and
      - A clear indication of what documents the participants will need
        to read before the session in order to be well prepared.

   This mandate serves a number of needs.  It allows working group
   chairs to carefully optimize the meeting time.  Presenters know well
   in advance how to tailor their presentations to the allocated time
   and participants know what material to read in order to come
   prepared.  In addition, a good agenda can act as a checklist for the
   for the chairs during the meeting.

2.1.  Agenda Content and Formatting Considerations

   There are a couple of considerations that can help one to produce an
   agenda that serves everybody's needs.  One will always have to try to
   make trade-offs between the size of the formatted document and the
   amount of detail to add.  This document suggests some content and
   some hints to present this content in a uniform way.

   According to [MEETINGTOOL], agendas can be submitted in HTML and TXT
   encoding.  Since a clearly formatted agenda can be used as a template
   for the construction of the minutes one should clearly structure the
   source text.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

2.1.1.  The Header

   To unambiguously identify the agenda the header should at least
   contain the name of the working group and its acronym and the IETF
   meeting to which this meeting relates.

   By adding some standard information to your header the agenda can be
   used as a 'one-stop-shop' for all information regarding the meeting.
   Consider adding the location and time of the meeting, pointers to the
   jabber room, pointers to audio- or web-cast and a pointer to the
   working groups web pages.  Versioning the agenda is also a
   recommended practice.  Finally, don't forget to add the contact
   information of the chairs.

   Try to separate the header from the rest of the agenda with a
   "graphical" element such as a line of "="-signs when the agenda is
   encoded in TXT or the <hl> when the agenda is encoded in HTML.

   Figure 1 provides an example Agenda Section Header.

        Formatting of IETF Workflow Documents Group (FIWD) AGENDA

        Meeting : IETF202, Monday 34 November 2032.
        Location: Fargo Hilton, Coens room, 12:30-14:00.
        Chairs  : Brian De Palma <[email-masked]>,
                  Fernando Meirell <[email-masked]>
        Jabber  : [email-masked]
        URL     : http://tools.ietf.org/wg/FIWD/
        Agenda  : version 1.4 (draft)
        ==============================================================

   Figure 1: Agenda Section Header

2.1.2.  The Body

   The body of the agenda presents the structure of the meeting.  In our
   experience the meeting can usually be split in 'topics'.  The
   meeting-administrivia is one 'topic', the administrivia concerning
   the working group documents is another 'topic'.  By trying to
   structure the agenda by 'topic' a chair brings structure to the
   meeting.  Stated from a meeting-centric point of view: The structure
   of a meeting should be represented in the agenda.

   For each topic there will be a number of sub-topics.  All subtopics
   have a title, and in the most common case, somebody to speak for
   them.  If there is reading material such as an internet-draft a
   reference should be supplied.  For each subtopic you should indicate
   how much time is allocated.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   Note that it often happens that people want to be in the room for a
   particular topic.  By also indicating the total time allocated to a
   topic one can allow participants to selectively join rooms.

   Try to format topics and subtopics so that they can be clearly
   distinguished.  Indentation and or 'section numbers' are handy
   formatting tools.  Introducing a topic with one or two lines may help
   to identify what the intended goal of the discussion is.

   We suggest that you always include "Meeting Administrivia" as a
   topic.  By explicitly sub-topics like "Previous Minutes", "Scribe"
   and "Blue Sheets" a chair can be sure those topics are addressed.

   When using HTML to encode the agenda we suggest you put in links to
   the document and use a short notation.  When using text, consider
   that you have to trade off writing out complete URLs (in order to
   facilitate cutting and pasting) versus the conciseness of using only
   draft names.  Figure 2 provides an example Agenda Body.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 5]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   --------------------    Example Agenda Body     --------------------
       A. Meeting Administrivia              chairs      (total: 5 min)
           - Mailing list and URL
           - Minutes Scribe
           - Jabber Scribe
           - Blue Sheets
           - Agenda Bashing
           - Previous Minutes
           - Action Items

       B. Stalled Work                       chairs      (total:10 min)
          Documents that have not seen anything happen. Status update
          and proposed way forward.
           - draft-ietf-fiwd-handwritten-minutes-12.txt
           - draft-ietf-fiwd-agenda-over-sms-02.txt
           - discussion

       C. Page Numbers                                 (total:  30 min)
          Several proposals on page numbering have been put forward.
          We will have to make a choice based on requirements.
          (draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-requirements-5.txt)

          - Page numbers at the center       Gilliam           (10 min)
            draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-centr-02.txt
          - Page numbers at the right        Coppola           (10 min)
            draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-right-06.txt
          - Page number strawman and         chairs            (10 min)
            discussion

       D. Possible Work Items                           (total: 15 min)

          D.1 XML based agendas and minutes.  Coens            (10 min)
              Work on development of a DTD for minutes
              and agendas.

             - draft-coens-fiwd-pnum-xml-workflow-docs-02.txt
             - Discussion                                       (5 min)

          D.2 (...)

       G. Working Group Administrivia                   (total: 10 min)
          G.1 Conclusion WGLC minutes translation  chairs       (3 min)
             - draft-ietf-fiwd-translation-05.txt
              Chair summarizes WGLC.

   ---------------------------------------------------------------------

   Figure 2: Example Agenda Body

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 6]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

3.  Minutes

   Section 3.1 of RFC 2418 mandates that "All working group sessions
   (including those held outside of the IETF meetings) shall be reported
   by making minutes available".  And while there a brief discussion of
   the desired content (note that this is not required content),
   including the session agenda, an account of the discussion including
   any decisions made, and the list of attendees, it gives little other
   guidance.  Further, while the IETF secretariat maintains
   "instructions" web pages [MINUTES], they provide only vague
   guidelines, and note that the format and content of the minutes is to
   be "is defined by the chair and minute-taker".  As a result, IETF
   session minutes are of widely varying content and quality.  In the
   following sections we outline a standard format for IETF session
   minutes, and a process for their submission.

3.1.  The Purpose of Session Minutes

   RFC 2418 states that "It is also good practice to note important
   decisions/consensus reached by email in the minutes of the next
   'live' session, and to summarize briefly the decision-making history
   in the final documents the WG produces."  Note that decisions reached
   during a face-to-face meeting about topics or issues which have not
   been discussed on the mailing list, or are significantly different
   from previously arrived mailing list consensus must be reviewed on
   the mailing list.  This suggests the importance of the working
   group's minutes: while the working group minutes just reporting and
   critical record-keeping, there are times when a working group's
   minutes play an important role in signaling the subsequent
   confirmation process (post working group meeting) on the mailing
   list.

   The suggestion here is that the purpose of the minutes is to
   summarize and document the history and activity (and in particular,
   any decision making activity) of the live meeting, both for those who
   could not attend, and for archival purposes.  Thus timely submission
   of minutes, along with standardized format and quality, are essential
   to the operation of the IETF process.

   The guiding principle behind the minutes, then, is that they must
   convey enough information to a non-attending reader to be able to
   review the meeting activity and understand the meeting outcome.  In
   general, the minutes must be of sufficient detail and accuracy such
   that if an event cannot be understood to have happened from the
   minutes, then the event in question "did not happen" at the meeting.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 7]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

3.2.  Minutes Content Considerations

   In general, session minutes serve two main functions.  First, they
   provide a record of the issues discussed during the meeting, and
   those participating in the discussions for those who weren't in
   attendance.  Second, they provide a record that can be used to review
   decisions that were made (such as those items on which the WG has
   reached consensus, etc).  As such, standardized format, as well as
   quality and completeness, are essential to the operation of the IETF
   process.  In particular, as noted in [MINUTES], "Minutes should
   provide a thorough summary of the issues discussed during the working
   group/BOF sessions".

   Note that it is important to record each draft which is discussed at
   the meeting, including its revision number, since the discussion
   needs to be placed in context.  This includes drafts that have not
   yet been accepted as working group documents, and late revisions of
   working group documents.  This is important as working group minutes
   are frequently used as a resource answering questions relating to
   prior art, as well questions about the state of the technical
   development of a protocol.  We recommend that a list of all drafts
   mentioned during the discussion is added just before each topic is
   summarized

   The main body of the Minutes section must be a prose description of
   the issues discussed at the meeting and any apparent conclusions
   reached in the room.  Other material may be included as supporting
   documentation from the meeting -- for example, transcript-style notes
   ("A said," then "B said," then "C said"), or a detailed list of
   changes to a document.  These should be included as attachments to,
   and not replacements for, the Minutes.

   Action items are a good way to document commitments of participants.
   We recommend action items to be explicitly mentioned at the end of
   each topic or at the end of the minutes.

   Finally, the minutes may include any other additional information
   that the working group chair deems appropriate as as appendices or
   attachments.

3.3.  Minutes Formatting Considerations

3.3.1.  The Header

   In order to unambiguously identify the minutes they should, just like
   agendas, have a clear and unambiguous header.  The content should at
   least contain the name of the working group, the IETF number, the
   date and time of the meeting and the name of the scribes.  A version

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 8]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   number is recommended.  Figure 3 provides an example Agenda Header.

        Formatting of IETF Workflow Documents Group (FIWD) Minutes

        Meeting : IETF202, Monday 34 Noctember 2032.
        Location: Fargo Hilton, Coens room, 12:30-14:00.
        Chairs  : Brian De Palma <[email-masked]>,
                  Fernando Meirell <[email-masked]>
        Minutes : Martin Scorsese <[email-masked]>
                  Version 2
        ==============================================================

   Figure 3: Example Minutes Header

3.3.2.  The Body

   The Agenda Body should occur just below the agenda header.  To
   improve readability, we suggest that details are skipped and only the
   main topics are listed.  We suggest that the sub-topic structure is
   maintained in the minutes.

   Try to format the text in such a way that topics and subtopics are
   clearly grouped.  Start each (sub)topic with adding the names of
   document that have been discussed.  A properly formatted agenda can
   easily be used as a template.  Working group chairs could suggest
   minute takers to construct such a template from the agenda before the
   meeting.

   Enumeration room consensus or actions for each topic is helpful.

   Figure 4 contains an example of the formatting of a the body of a set
   of minutes for our imaginary working group.  We try to present an
   example for a style that captures the gist of the meeting and a
   formatting that represents the structure of the meeting.

3.3.3.  Length of Submitted Minutes

   Minutes should provide a thorough summary of the issues discussed
   during the working group/BOF sessions, and should BE limited to a
   maximum of six pages of text.

3.4.  The Body

   The Agenda Body should occur just below the agenda header.  To
   improve readability, we suggest that details are skipped and only the
   main topics are listed.  We suggest that the sub-topic structure is
   maintained in the minutes.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                 [Page 9]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   Try to format the text in such a way that topics and subtopics are
   clearly grouped.  Start each (sub)topic with adding the names of
   document that have been discussed.  A properly formatted agenda can
   easily be used as a template.  Working group chairs could suggest
   minute takers to construct such a template from the agenda before the
   meeting.

   Enumeration room consensus or actions for each topic is helpful.

   Figure 4 contains an example of the formatting of a the body of a set
   of minutes for our imaginary working group.  We try to present an
   example for a style that captures the gist of the meeting and a
   formatting that represents the structure of the meeting.

3.5.  Length of Submitted Minutes

   Minutes should provide a thorough summary of the issues discussed
   during the working group/BOF sessions, and should BE limited to a
   maximum of six pages of text.

   --------------------    Example Minutes Body     -------------------

     =======================================================
     AGENDA
       A. Meeting Administrivia
       B. Stalled Work
       C. Page Numbers
       D. Possible Work Items
          D.1 XML based agendas and minutes.
          D.2 (...)
       G. Working Group Administrivia
          G.1 Conclusion WGLC minute translation

     =======================================================

     MEETING Report
       A. Meeting Administrivia

          Martin Scorsese volunteered as scribe.
          Luc Besson volunteered as jabber scribe.

          Minutes of the IETF201 where posted and finalized within 2
          weeks after IETF201. The minute takes is acknowledged.  The
          room unanimously approved the minutes.

          There was one action item from IETF201, this is dealt with in
          item B of this meeting.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 10]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

       B. Stalled Work
          Documents that have not seen anything happen. Status update
          and proposed way forward.
           - draft-ietf-fiwd-handwritten-minutes-12.txt
           - draft-ietf-fiwd-agenda-over-sms-02.txt

          The chairs explained that the document editors for these
          draft have changed their jobs and have requested to be
          resigned as editors. Volunteers have been called for on the
          list but nobody stepped forward. The chairs suggest that this
          work is dropped from the charter.

          Quint Tarantino notes that this work has seen little activity
          except from the editors he wonders how this work ever made it
          on the charter. The discussion drifted into how handwriting
          can effectively be scanned. It was concluded by requesting
          the chairs to remove this work from the charter.

          Action on chairs: Have these drafts removed from the charter.

       C. Page Numbers

            * draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-requirements-5.txt)
            * draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-centr-02.txt
            * draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-right-06.txt
            * draft-verhoeven-two-pnums-per-page-02.txt

          Several proposals on page numbering have been put forward.
          We will have to make a choice based on requirements.
          (draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-requirements-5.txt)

          - Page numbers at the center
            draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-centr-02.txt

            Gilliam presented his slides (see proceedings).

            During his presentation he stressed that that printing page
            numbers in the center of the page eases double sided
            printing.

          - Page numbers at the right
            draft-ietf-fiwd-pnum-right-06.txt

            Coppola explained that during Gilliam presentation that
            there are economic and environmental considerations in
            addition to the aesthetic principles on which the
            'pnum-right' draft is based. The room hummed in consensus
            when the chairs suggested to document the economical issues

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 11]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

            in the 'pnum-centr' draft and the original requirements
            draft and then move to last call.

          - Page number strawman and discussion

            The strawman was not discussed. See above.

          During the meeting Steve Spielberg noted that his company had
          IPR on printing page numbers on both the left and the right
          hand side of the paper in order to ease double sided
          printing.  This bears relevance to a personal submission to
          this group; draft-verhoeven-two-pnums-per-page-02.txt The
          chair asked him to file the IPR claim via the IPR pages on
          the IETF website.

          Action on Gilliam: update pnum-centr to document the
                           economical and environmental considerations
                           of two-side printing

       D. Possible Work Items
        (...)
   --------------------------------------------------------------------

   Figure 4: Example Minutes Body

4.  Encoding

   [MEETINGTOOL] allows HTML encoded minutes.  We suggest that txt
   encoding is used except for those cases in which the working group
   chair wants to emphasize flow or other formatting.

   In summary, the minutes for the IETF proceedings must be submitted in
   ASCII form, and formatted either in either plain text format or in
   HTML.  That is, non-ASCII binary formats such as JPEG [JPEG] or
   executable code such as Java [JAVA] must not be included in submitted
   minutes.

5.  Submission Procedure and Deadlines

   There are at least three places in IETF literature where the
   disposition of session minutes are discussed:

      Section 3.1 of RFC 2418 states that "The minutes shall be
      submitted in printable ASCII text for publication in the IETF
      Proceedings, and for posting in the IETF Directories and are to be

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 12]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

      sent to: [email-masked]".

      The IETF Secretariat "minutes page" [MINUTES], which states that
      "Minutes for the IETF proceedings must be submitted in ASCII form
      by the end of two weeks following the meeting".

      The IETF Secretariat "proceedings page" [PROCEEDINGS], which
      states that "The deadline for submission of minutes and
      presentation slides for inclusion in the IETF meeting proceedings
      is four weeks from the Friday of the meeting week."

   While RFC 2418 is silent on deadlines, and there is a discrepancy
   between the minutes page and the proceedings page.  To resolve this
   ambiguity, the proceedings page takes precedent and the final form of
   meeting minutes must be submitted in ASCII form by the forth Friday
   following the meeting week.  For example, in the case of the 59th
   IETF Meeting (March 01, 2004 - March 05, 2004), minutes are required
   to be received by the IETF Secretariat ([email-masked]) by April
   02, 2004 (i.e., the forth Friday following the meeting week).

   Finally, note that draft minutes must not be submitted to
   [email-masked], and only final versions of session minutes will be
   accepted.

6.  Minutes Errata -- Correcting Mistakes

   Corrections to minutes will be accepted until the Friday six weeks
   from the Friday of the meeting week.  Such corrections should be sent
   to [email-masked].  In general, the rule can be stated as follows:

     The Working Group Chair can make changes to submitted minutes
     or presentation materials for six weeks from the Friday of
     meeting week; However, the chair must have submitted some form
     of the materials to the IETF Secretariat by the forth Friday
     following the meeting week.

   IETF secretariat also maintains a "slides" web page [SLIDES] which
   outlines acceptable encodings (outlined below), and layout guidelines
   for session presentation materials.  However, these guidelines are
   (possibly necessarily) vague, and provide no procedures for working
   group chairs to ensure consistent cross-working group presentation
   quality.  As a result, IETF session presentation materials are of
   widely varying content and quality.  In the following sections we
   outline a standard format for IETF session materials, and a process
   for their submission.

   In general, in order to have presentation materials included in the

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 13]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   meeting proceedings, an on-line copy set of the slides in an approved
   format, must be submitted within two weeks following the meeting (see
   discussion of formats and deadlines below).  Presentation slides
   covering information reported in the minutes need not be submitted.

7.  Format: General Layout Guidelines

   [SLIDES] outlines the general layout guidelines for presentation
   materials to be included in IETF proceedings.  In particular:

      Paper size: 215.9x279.4mm (Letter), all other sizes will be
      modified to fit.

      Avoid unnecessary detail in slides, they will be difficult to read
      in the reduced hard copy version

      Avoid using color schemes which wash out information when printed
      in black-and-white

      Landscape layout will be printed 6 horizontal frames per page -
      use at least an 16-point font

      Portrait layout will be printed 4 vertical frames per page - use
      at least an 14-point font

8.  Encoding

   [SLIDES] lays out the accepted presentation formats.  In particular,
   the presentation materials must be provided one following encodings
   in order to be accepted for publication in the meeting proceedings:

      File Name                    Encoding
      =============================================
      * .txt       Plain Text (Win/*nix/Dos/Mac/Be)
      * .doc       Microsoft Word Document
      * .pdf       Adobe Portable Document Format
      * .ps        Adobe PostScript
      * .ppt       Microsoft PowerPoint
      * .html      HTML

   Many presenters are currently use MagicPoint [MGP] as a presentation
   tool, MagicPoint format documents must be converted to one of the
   above formats for submission to [email-masked].

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 14]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

9.  Submission Procedure and Deadlines

   While submission of minutes is mandatory, submission of slides is
   optional.  Again, there is a discrepancy between the IETF secretariat
   "slides" page [SLIDES] and the proceedings page [PROCEEDINGS].  To
   resolve this ambiguity, the proceedings page takes precedent and the
   final form of meeting presentation set must be submitted in an
   approved form by the forth Friday following the meeting week.  For
   example, in the case of the 59th IETF Meeting (March 01, 2004 - March
   05, 2004), presentation materials are required to be received by the
   IETF Secretariat ([email-masked]) by April 02, 2004 (i.e., the
   forth Friday following the meeting week).

   Presenters must provide presentation materials in one of the
   acceptable formats described above to the working group chair by the
   first Friday following the meeting.  This gives the chair or chairs
   time to organize their submission to [email-masked].  If a
   presenter fails to to provide the working group chair with
   presentation materials in a timely fashion or in standard format, the
   materials may not appear in the meeting proceedings.

   Once the working group chair has received presentation materials, the
   chair must fill out the form on [PROCSUB], and submit it with the
   presentation materials.  Hard copies must not be submitted, as they
   will not be used.  Finally, slides should not be submitted for the
   proceedings if they contain information included in the minutes.

   Note: The materials must be in electronic form, but the form is pdf
   (not amenable to editing, etc).

10.  Presentation Errata -- Correcting Mistakes

   Corrections to minutes will be accepted until the Friday six weeks
   from the Friday of the meeting week.  Such corrections should be sent
   to [email-masked].  In general, the rule can be stated as
   follows:

     The Working Group Chair can make changes to submitted minutes
     or presentation materials for six weeks from the Friday of
     meeting week; However, the chair must have submitted some form
     of the materials to the IETF Secretariat by the forth Friday
     following the meeting week.

11.  Recommendations

   As outlined in Section 1.1 above, minutes serve to "note important

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 15]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   decisions/consensus reached by email in the minutes of the next
   \'live\' session, and to summarize briefly the decision-making
   history in the final documents the WG produces."  However, the highly
   variable format, quality and content of the minutes makes this goal
   difficult if not impossible to achieve.

   Since the purpose of the minutes is to summarize and document the
   history and activity (and in particular, any decision making
   activity) of the live meeting, both for those who could not attend,
   and for archival purposes, they are of critical importance.  One
   relatively straight forward way to address this problem is described
   in the next section.

   Finally, it is worth noting that the IETF already has this mechanism
   in place.  However, it is only used for those sessions that are also
   have video recording.

12.  Acknowledgments

   Rebecca Bunch, Leslie Daigle and Allison Mankin made several helpful
   and clarifying comments on earlier versions of this document.  [IMDB]
   is acknowledged for the inspiring pool of names in the examples.

13.  Security Considerations

   This document specifies neither a protocol nor an operational
   practice, and as such, it creates no new security considerations.

14.  IANA Considerations

   This document creates a no new requirements on IANA namespaces
   [RFC2434].

15.  References

15.1.  Normative References

   [RFC2418]  Bradner, S., "IETF Working Group Guidelines and
              Procedures", BCP 25, RFC 2418, September 1998.

   [RFC2434]  Narten, T. and H. Alvestrand, "Guidelines for Writing an
              IANA Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 2434,
              October 1998.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 16]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

15.2.  Informative References

   [MEETINGTOOL]
              "The IETF Meeting Materials Management Tool", Web Page:
               http://www.ietf.org/instructions/
              meeting_materials_tool.html, 2005.

   [MINUTES]  "Minutes for the IETF Proceedings", Web
              Page: http://www.ietf.org/instructions/minutes.html, 2005.

   [PROCEEDINGS]
              "Submitting Input to IETF Meeting Proceedings", Web
              Page: http://www.ietf.org/instructions/proceedings.html,
              2005.

   [PROCSUB]  "Proceedings Submission Form", Web
              Page: http://www.ietf.org/instructions/proxform.pdf, 2005.

   [SLIDES]   "Presentation Slides for the IETF Proceedings", Web
              Page: http://www.ietf.org/instructions/slides.html, 2005.

   [JAVA]     "The JAVA Programming Language", Web
              Page: http://java.sun.com, 2005.

   [JPEG]     "The JPEG Image Format", Web Page: http://www.jpeg.org,
              2005.

   [MGP]      "MagicPoint", Web Page: http://member.wide.ad.jp/wg/mgp,
              2005.

   [IMDB]     "The Internet Movie Database", Web
              Page: http://www.imdb.com/, 1990-2005.

Appendix A.  Templates

A.1.  Agenda Template

   [ED note: In the final document we would want to have this on a
   separate page]

   <Working Group Name> (<working group abbreviation>) AGENDA

   Meeting : IETF<Number>  <Scheduled Date of Meeting>
   Location: <Hotel and room information>, <timeslot>
   Chairs  : <chair name> <chair email address>
             <co-chair1 name> <co-chair1 email address>
   Jabber  : <jabber room URL>

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 17]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

   URL     : <Working Group or URL>
   Agenda  : version: <Agenda Version>
   =========================================================

   AGENDA

    o Meeting Administriva     <allocated time (minutes)>

      - Mailing list: <subscription info>
      - Scribe(s)
      - Blue Sheets
      - Agenda Bashing
      - Previous minutes
      - Action Items

    o Review and status of work items

      Active Drafts
      -------------
      <Draft Name>        <allocated time (minutes)>
      <draft file name>
      <author>
      ...
      <drafts>            <allocated time (minutes)>

      Potential New Work
      ------------------
      + Work Item1
        <Draft Name>       <allocated time (minutes)>
        <draft file name>
        <author>
        <Discussion>       <allocated time (minutes)>

      + Work Item2
        <Draft Name>       <allocated time (minutes)>
        <draft file name>
        <author>
        <Discussion>       <allocated time (minutes)>

      Other
      -----
      <misc stuff>

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 18]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

A.2.  Minutes Template

   [ED note: In the final document we would want to have this on a
   separate page] It is probably easiest to use the published agenda to
   derive the actual minutes template

   <Working Group Name> (<working group abbreviation>) MINUTES

   Meeting : IETF<Number>  <Scheduled Date of Meeting>
   Location: <Hotel and room information>, <timeslot>
   Chairs  : <chair name> <chair email address>
             <co-chair1 name> <co-chair1 email address>
   Minutes :  <minute taker name> <minute taker email address>
             version: <Agenda Version>
   =========================================================
   AGENDA
     A. Meeting Administrivia
     B.
     C.
     D.
        D.1
        D.2
   ==========================================================

   Meeting Report
     A. Meeting Administrivia

         <Minute Scribe> volunteered as minutes scribe.
         <Jabber Scribe> volunteered as jabber scribe.

         < status previous minutes >

      B. < topic title >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-1 >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-2 >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-3 >

         < Meeting prose >

         < Action Items >

      C. < topic title >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-1 >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-2 >
          * < draft-foo-discussed-draft-3 >

         < Meeting prose >

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 19]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

         < Action Items >

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 20]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

Authors' Addresses

   David Meyer
   University of Oregon/Cisco Systems
   1225 Kincaid St.
   Eugene  OR 97403
   USA

   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.1-4-5.net/~dmm

   Olaf M. Kolkman
   NLnet Labs
   Kruislaan 419
   Amsterdam  1098 VA
   The Netherlands

   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.nlnetlabs.nl

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 21]

Internet-Draft             Agendas and Minutes             December 2005

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Disclaimer of Validity

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).  This document is subject
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Meyer & Kolkman           Expires June 23, 2006                [Page 22]

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:57:59 -0500

>From the document:

Some of this information such as the meeting, location, chair, jabber,
URL, and version number would be better off filled in automatically
by a database than by the author of the document.

Every meeting I always have to go searching for the Jabber, Audio,
Proceedings information and the time/location of the meeting changes
with each update of the IETF Agenda.

I think the ability to edit the minutes as part of the Proceedings
Tool and gain this header information would be a good next step.

Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:24:04 +0900

200% agree.

I would also add to this list the WG agenda and presentation titles,
provided this was entered in the tool before the meeting (as one would
expect).

Thierry

 On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:57:59 -0500

-- 
Thierry ERNST, PhD
WIDE, Jun Murai Lab., Keio University, Japan
Nautilus6 Chair: http://www.nautilus6.org
Web: http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~ernst/
T:+81-44-580-1600 F:+81-44-580-1437
--

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:31:54 -0800

>			 forward to your comments.

Although this draft is very well written, and provides a thorough
template for agendas and minutes, I have to chime in with those
concerned we are spending a bit too much energy on boilerplate and
procedures vs. work our customers can benefit from.
There needs to be a balance and I hope the pendulum swings back
pretty soon.

That said -- I think the templates should get published and used,
now that you did all this work to document the details.

Can we tone down the precision though?
I've been doing almost everything in the document in
my agendas and minutes for years, but I've never recorded
the version number of the final agenda, or which meeting room
and hotel the meeting occurred.  And are we suggesting or mandating
specific section headers and numbering schemes? (I hope neither!)

Andy