Subject: Re: draft-meyer-agendas-and-minutes-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:55:24 +0100

Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'd like to second the idea that specific templates is going too far.
> 
> Providing optional templates is a great idea.  We've seen that with
> xml2rfc.  But only require the requirements.
> 
> Also templates are far better when accompanied by quality tools.

I'd say that this draft is very useful as a guidelines draft, and Dave's
clearly got the message that it shouldn't be a rulebook. Ditto for
templates, as Sam says.

As far as tools go, that amounts to specific additions to the proceedings
submission tool I think. They would need to be framed as precisely as
possible, and routed to the IAD for prioritization. The natural home for
that preparatory work is in the TOOLS team.

While I'm here, a couple of specific comments on the draft.

Section 5 is quite out of date as it doesn't point to the new tool, but
to the obsolete (email) way of submitting proceedings.

Also, in that section and possibly elsewhere you refer to minor
discrepancies on the ietf.org web site. Dave, could you please turn
those references into a set of suggested corrections, and send
them to [email-masked]? That way they will get fixed, which is
better than documenting them.

Section 8 should make it clear that the two very proprietary formats
accepted as input are converted to PDF before publication.

     Brian