Subject: Spam list using Mailman

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:45:22 -0800 (PST)

In my monthly reminders of my subscription to Mailman lists, I found
one called "123" which didn't look familiar and found that it had WG
chairs and IETF mailing lists subscribed to it.  The only message in
the archive was an solicitation to use web design services.

I'm generally used to getting tons of spam on most of my accounts and
just getting good at identifying and trashing it quickly.  Most of you
are probably in a similar mode.

Just FYI as a lot of you are probably subscribed also.

http://web-sk.com/mailman/listinfo/123_web-sk.com

Tony

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:02:05 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Tony Tauber write
>http://web-sk.com/mailman/listinfo/123_web-sk.com

Yup, I got it, too.  I was amused at the idiocy of a spammer who uses 
mailman to send out the spam....

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:02:10 -0500

yeah, each of my lists had a "password reminder" message from
them.  I've unsubscribed.

--Matt

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:04:42 -0500

> the archive was an solicitation to use web design services.

I caught that this morning and went to their (fairly standard looking)
mailman list to unsubscribe pppext from it.  It looks like it could
have been a somewhat "innocent" mistake by someone who doesn't quite
realize how rude it would be to subscribe a bunch of mailing lists to
another list.

At least, he didn't make much of an effort to hide himself.

Maybe someone needs to have a talk with this miscreant ...

-- 
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:34:28 +0100

They may be naive, but the list has 623 members including many
of us and a bunch of IETF WG lists.

Their web site says the company was formed in January 2006.

I have sent them a pretty strong instruction to take down
the list. If they don't, they will get some attention from
our lawyer.

     Brian