Subject: ietf.org pointing to iesg page..

From: "Mukesh Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:58:33 -0800

Anyone noticed that http://ietf.org is opening
http://www.ietf.org/iesg.html

http://www.ietf.org works fine.

Regards
Mukesh

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:23:05 +0100

The address for operational issues is [email-masked] please.

No need to tell the list.

Since ietf.org isn't an announced URL, I'm not sure why it's
an issue. (Actually, it doesn't resolve for me, and why should it?

    Brian

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:40:39 -0800

> why should it?
Does someone need to go write a draft entitled "www prefix considered 
harmful" to make this obvious?

The www really should be superfluous.  Please just email ietf-action 
and make it so.  This isn't worth arguing about.

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:43:58 -0500

The www is superfluous, and "ietf.org" used to work.  (Well, I think it used
to work; guess I'm not sure if resolution "ietf.org" was in the DNS or an
artifact of a helpful browser"; in any event, *something* is different now.)
So changing it now, while perhaps technically correct, would fly in the face
of previous practice.

And "http://iab.org" seems to lead to www.ietf.org, while
Http://www.iab.org" leads to the expected IAB home page.  I've reported this
observation to [email-masked]

- Ralph