Subject: Jabber service for IETF meetings

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:26:27 -0500

Dear IETF WG Chairs,

The Secretariat is pleased to announce a new Instant Messaging service.  This
service will provide jabber chat rooms to all IETF working groups for their text
conferencing at IETF 65 and future meetings.

The new jabber server is located at jabber.ietf.org and is currently
accessible.  For those who are interested, please visit the above location to
join any of the available chat rooms.

Over the next few days, please take the time to test this new service and
provide us with all questions, comments, and suggestions.  Your feedback is key
to our success!

Please note:

All traffic within the defined rooms (except "noc") is being logged and updated
every 5 minutes to the ietf.org website.

To view the log directories, point your browser to
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/ietf-logs/.

If you click on a room directory, you will see one or more files named
"YYYY-MM-DD.html", e.g. 2006-03-14.html.  If you click on one of those files,
you will see all logged traffic for that day.
 
Please visit the IETF Text Conferencing Web page
(http://www.ietf.org/meetings/text_conf.html) for more information.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:23:58 +0100

Hi,

  I'm happy to see this service now being provided by the secretariat.
I have some questions and requests, though:

> join any of the available chat rooms.

You say here that the service is located at "jabber.ietf.org" but the instructions
at http://www.ietf.org/meetings/text_conf.html indicate that the rooms are at
"rooms.jabber.ietf.org".  Why this extra subdomain level?  I'd find it easier
to remember just "[email-masked]" than having to add in the "room." part
too, without understanding why it's there.

> you will see all logged traffic for that day.

Three requests:  

  1. Could we have the old logs at http://www.xmpp.org/ietf-logs/ transferred
     to the new log archive, so we have old and new logs available in the
     same place?

  2. As an alternative to the directory listing, could we get a web-page which
     filters out the empty logs and only shows the days and logs which contain
     jabber traffic?

  3. Could we have the individual log directories named simply with the WG
     tag, e.g., "mip4", rather than the current "[email-masked]"?

> (http://www.ietf.org/meetings/text_conf.html) for more information.

I've updated the links and pages at tools.ietf.org with the new locations, and
will adjust as needed to match any further changes.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:40:29 -0800

Interesting. [email-masked] works, but not  
[email-masked]

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:33:07 -0600

> conferencing at IETF 65 and future meetings.

Is the server going to be available in general or only during the course
of a meeting?  Would like to know if it is a resource that the WG could
depend on for impromptu discussions.

Spencer

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:56:36 -0500

I think that they should be too, NeuStar told me privately that
they would be available from set up to tear down of the
network, but I have cc:ed our IAD to make it so.

Regards
Marshall