Subject: Fake Conferences

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:37:31 -0800 (PST)

On the topic of self-promoting for-profit conferences, I received a
suspect piece of mail from a "Prof. Nagib Callaos" which appeared to
be asking my opinion about academic conferences or some such but had
the whiff of an address-validation scam.  A Google search for this
person yielded a suprising number of conferences which he chaired as
well as http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Misc/FakeConferences
which seemed to tell the tale.

Be careful out there,

Tony
----
Dear Tony Tauber,

Based on your participation in conferences, we would like to consult
your opinion and your possible contribution regarding the idea of
collecting, in a multiple-author book or symposium proceedings,
reflections and knowledge regarding Peer Reviewing and its
relationships with Knowledge Communication. It will only take you
about 30 seconds to give us your opinion and your potential support as
a reviewer and/or paper contributor.  To do so please visit the web
page: www.iiis.org/kcpr/h.asp?t=a13&e= [My email address]

As you know, an increasing number of books and papers have been
written regarding the weaknesses of peer reviewing in journals, but
very few have been written regarding the weaknesses and strenghts of
peer reviewing in conferences, symposia, etc.; and regarding the
possible solutions to the weaknesses of peer reviewing in both:
journals and conferences/symposia/etc. Consequently, we would like to
invite you to share your ideas/research in this area by participating
in KCPR 2006 to be held in Orlando, FL on July 20-23, 2006. Please
visit KCPR's web site for further information:
www.info-cybernetics.org/KCPR2006

Organizers of the invited sessions with the best performance will be
co-editors of the proceedings volume where their sessions' papers are
to be included and of the CD electronic proceedings. You can find
information about the suggested steps to organize an invited session
in the Call for Participation and in the conference web page.

If the deadlines are tight and you need more time, let me know about a
suitable time for you and I will inform you if it is feasible for us.

Best Regards,

Prof.Nagib Callaos