Subject: NETLeMMings I-D

From: Tom Bombadil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:36:42 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to call your attention to the following I-D.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bombadil-netlemmings-00.txt

It celebrates the oft forgotten wonder of the end-to-end principle, and satirically comments on current happenings in the Internet Area concerning Mobility which contradict some of the very principles that make the Internet what we know and, in my case, greatly care for.

Regards,

Tom

---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:07:08 +0200

on 2006-04-20 16:36 an anonymous writer said:
> It celebrates the oft forgotten wonder of the end-to-end principle,
> and satirically comments on current happenings in the Internet Area
> concerning Mobility which contradict some of the very principles that
> make the Internet what we know and, in my case, greatly care for.

Sigh.  I'd applaud the effort if the writer hadn't gotten his facts
so fundamentally wrong.

The presence of satire doesn't excuse a failure to get the underlying
facts right - actually, since the satire disguises the facts, it's a
bloody crime to base satire on incorrect facts and missing understanding.

Sending this work of fantasy to the NetLMM list during IETF-65 was maybe
only a distraction.  Sending it to this wider distribution list is at
best spam, at worst a deliberate attempt at spreading FUD.  In my
opinion, that is.

I'd offer the author a chance to walk through the NetLMM work in detail
and see how it won't break the end-to-end principle, just as the
existence of BGP routing updates doesn't break it, but the tone of the
draft makes it likely that such an offer would just be taken as an
attempt to lure him into a false religion, rather than an offer to
inspect the actual facts of the matter.

Which makes me sad.

	Henrik

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:44:42 +0300

Dear anonymous,

I had fun reading your submission -- thanks!

I do hope that if you have architectural
issues or other input regarding the direction
of some of the mobility related working groups,
you take the time to construct a non-April 1
draft and/or engage Henrik and others in
a technical discussion. Such input would
be highly appreciated and I'm sure all
of us would learn something. And we DO care
very much about the end-to-end principle,
the Internet, and making the Internet
work well with wireless and moving hosts.

(By the way, I have already seen the same
post once in i-d-announce, in wgchairs
and iesg lists, and several times earlier in
NETLMM where the chairs told you
to stop repeated postings -- and I can't
really blame them because you said, among
other things, that they have cranial implants.
Time to stop and work on that other draft?)

Jari