Subject: RE: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:22:48 -0400

Ray,
 
Let me check that I understand your answer - it sounds like you're keeping
a 1-week buffer clear on both sides of IEEE 802, so that a November IEEE
802 meeting makes it impossible for IETF to meet in November as the
IEEE week plus the 1-week before and after buffers take out the entire
available portion of November (the US Thanksgiving holiday weekend takes
out the rest of the month).  Did I understand that correctly?  It strikes
me as excessive.
 
I can understand October being sufficiently early as to cause other
problems.
 
Thanks for taking another look,
--David
---------------------------------------------------- 
David L. Black, Senior Technologist 
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748 
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786 
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754 
---------------------------------------------------- 

  _____  

From: Ray Pelletier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:50 PM
To: Black, David
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  wrote:

Ray,

Looking at the 2007 and 2008 dates on events.cal, it looks

like ANSI T10 (SCSI) is the primary conflict for the first week

of November, and ANSI T11 (Fibre Channel) is the primary conflict

for the first week of December.  The currently proposed schedule

is first week of December for the 3rd IETF meeting each year, and

hence hits T11 every year.  Would it be possible to alternate

between the first week of November and the first week of December

in successive years so that each of T10 and T11 only gets hit

every other year, or are there other considerations that favor

December over November?

David, I'll take a fresh look at it, but it's kind of hard to avoid
conflicts with T10 and T11 "Should Avoid" meetings when there are 6 of each
scheduled in 2008.  The greatest pressure on December meetings is our need
to avoid conflicts by one week with "Must Avoids" like IEEE in November,
forcing us into December or October meeting considerations.  December is not
my first choice.  October puts spacing pressure back to the beginning of the
year.
Again, I'll look at it, but unless we relax the one week conflict avoidance
with "Must Avoids" I'm not optimistic.
Ray

Thanks,

--David (ips, imss, rddp WG chair)

----------------------------------------------------

David L. Black, Senior Technologist

EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748

+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>         Mobile: +1 (978)
394-7754

----------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----

From: Ray Pelletier [mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
] 

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:59 AM

To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

Subject: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

All;

This is a 1 week Last Call for feedback on Version 01 proposed 2008 - 

1010 IETF Meeting dates.  The IAOC anticipates taking action to formally 

adopt dates on 25 May 2006.  These dates differ from the originally 

proposed dates based upon community feedback, a review of meeting dates 

of those organizations on the Clash List and maintenance of a reasonably 

similar period between meetings.  While every effort was made to avoid 

conflicts where known, it was not always possible with those 

organizations in the "should avoid" category.  Your feedback to 

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  on conflicts with these dates would be
appreciated.

Proposed 2008 - 2010 meeting dates:

2008

IETF 71  Mar 30 - Apr 4

IETF 72  Jul 27 - Aug 1

IETF 73  Dec 7 - 12

2009

IETF 74  Mar 22 - 27

IETF 75  Aug 2 - 7

IETF 76  Dec 6 - 11

2010

IETF 77  Mar 28 - Apr 2

IETF 78  Jul 25 - 30

IETF 79  Dec 5 - 10

Our findings of the schedule of other organization's meetings can be 

found at: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/events.cal.html
<http://www.ietf.org/meetings/events.cal.html>  .

Thanks for your assistance.

Ray Pelletier

IAD

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:38:42 -0400

> out the rest of the month).  Did I understand that correctly?  It strikes

The recommendations to the IAOC when it adopted its Clash List policy 
was to maintain a 1 week break between a Must Avoid organization and the 
IETF meetings whenver possible as it would create back-to-back meeting 
weeks for many who attend both.  
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/clash_list.html
Ray

>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     [email-masked] wrote:
>
>>Ray,
>>
>     David, I'll take a fresh look at it, but it's kind of hard to
>     avoid conflicts with T10 and T11 "Should Avoid" meetings when
>     there are 6 of each scheduled in 2008.  The greatest pressure on
>     December meetings is our need to avoid conflicts by one week with
>     "Must Avoids" like IEEE in November, forcing us into December or
>     October meeting considerations.  December is not my first choice. 
>     October puts spacing pressure back to the beginning of the year.
>     Again, I'll look at it, but unless we relax the one week conflict
>     avoidance with "Must Avoids" I'm not optimistic.
>     Ray
>
>>Thanks,
>>>To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>>>[email-masked] on conflicts with these dates would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>found at: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/events.cal.html .
>>>