Subject: RE: IETF 67 Location Announcement - small comment

From: "Tobias Gondrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:03:30 +0200

Dear Ray,

just a small comment, and please don't take it wrong:
I am not so happy about the fact that we will have with this the 4th
IETF meeting in a row on the US/CA continent. (64 Vancouver, 65 Dallas,
66 Montreal, 67 San Diego) 
And I really enjoyed my stay in San Diego at the 60th. 

I had hoped that about every third conference would at least be in the
Asia or European region. For the European participants in the IETF it is
a lot easier (and cheaper) to join the European conferences and I can
imagine the others are having similar budget problems like myself with
trips to US. 
For European or Asian participants this split (2 in US/CA, 1 in Asia, 2
in US/CA, 1 in EU) makes it possible to attend the meetings without 4
(or more) transatlantic flights in a row or e.g. about half of the
meetings with only two transatlantic flights in about two years - which
is the main cost problem.

Anyway as I see from the "future meetings" page
(http://www.ietf.org/meetings/0mtg-sites.txt) we aim to get more Europe
and Asia meeting sites in the near future, which I really appreciate and
fully support.

Thank you for your time and see you in five weeks in Montreal,

Tobias

> -----Original Message-----
> From: IETF Administrative Director [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:53 PM
> To: Working Group Chairs
> Subject: IETF 67 Location Announcement
> 
> The IETF is pleased to announce its selection of San Diego,
California,
> USA and
> the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina as the site of IETF 67 being
held
> November
> 5 - 10, 2006.
> 
> As we celebrate IETF's 20th year we return to the city where IETF 01
(with
> 21
> attendees) was held, as well as IETFs' 9, 23, 49, and 60. The Sheraton
has
> added
> another 18,000 sq ft of meeting space for us to use.
> 
> There are other conferences being held in San Diego so we encourage
you to
> reserve your hotel rooms right away.
> 
> We have arrangements on Harbor Island with:
> 
> Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina for 770 rooms at different prices
> starting at
> $179 and 50 rooms at the Hilton San Diego Airport/Marina at $189, both
> properties with free Internet in the rooms.  More information can be
found
> at:
> http://www.ietf.org/meetings/hotels_67.html
> 
> Registration for San Diego will open July 12th.
> 
> We are looking forward to San Diego in November, but until then we
will
> see you
> in Montreal in 31 days!
> 
> And speaking of Montreal, Early Bird registration with its $550
> registration
> fee expires at 1600 GMT on 30 June!  If you have not registered yet,
delay
> no
> longer!  http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-66.html
> 
> Ray Pelletier
> IETF Administrative Director

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:08:43 -0500

I believe this was supposed to be in Europe, but something about it crashed 
at the last minute.  I think they'll already committed to IETF68 will be in 
Europe or Asia - something the schedulers do not normally admit this far in 
advance.

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:52:51 -0400

> Europe or Asia - something the schedulers do not normally admit this far in 
Correct; see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg02468.html

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:03:47 -0700

> And I really enjoyed my stay in San Diego at the 60th. 

I don't blame you -- and I live relatively near to San Diego.
I hope meeting planning goes smoother in the future,
and we get plenty of advance notice of the location,
and the locations balance out the way they are intended.

But even if Danvers is available, it doesn't mean we
should have another meeting there :-)

A sponsor, and adequate meeting, lodging, and eating facilities,
are more important than which continent the meeting is held.

Andy

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:05:44 +0200

I second the concern, but I'm more concerned with the hotel location
than San Diego itself. Didn't we say several times that the lack of
restaurants around the hotel + the lack of public transportation was a
problem for dining out or to access the meeting site for those staying
downtown ? 

I think this concern was not taken into account once again.

Thierry.

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:08:43 -0500

-- 
Thierry ERNST, PhD
INRIA Rocquencourt Project-Team IMARA
+33 1 39 63 59 30 (office)

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:55:42 -0400

If I may speak up for Ray (our IAD), I think he has been doing a  
really good job here
in trying circumstances. He has been very constrained this year because
we (the IETF) only gained the power to determine meeting locations in  
December of last year.

Despite this, he has worked hard to meet our needs and improve the  
meetings.
One of the new things is opening meeting registrations early, which  
is a big
benefit for people who need invitation letters to get visas. I know  
that the IAD pays
close attention to the email traffic sent to him, and I am sure that  
as we
move forward the concerns here will be addressed.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:23:00 +0200

Hi,

On Jun 9, 2006, at 16:55, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> really good job here in trying circumstances. He has been very  
> constrained this year because we (the IETF) only gained the power  
> to determine meeting locations in December of last year.

let me second this! Things must not have been easy in the planning of  
IETF-67, due to the last-minute scramble to find a replacement after  
the original location fell through very late in the game.

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:36:48 +0200

Thierry,

Every site has its disadvantages, and you are correct in identifying
this as a disadvantage of the San Diego hotel. But in the end we
always have to choose the least bad option by a certain date.

I fully agree about the geographical rotation, and we want to get back
to that as soon as possible.

     Brian