Subject: Converting existing text to XML

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:22:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to give some advice to some I-D authors and I'm not sure if
there's any tutorial out there.

First, how to get started with using the XML2RFC templates.  I know
how to use the converter on the web page no problem but was fortunate
enough to inherit a draft which had already started this way and I use
vi to edit the XML, which I know isn't what some people would choose.
How would one get started from a blank slate?  What are good,
preferably free, XML authoring tools and how would one import the
necessary templates?

Further, if one had an existing draft with only text (or some other
source, perhaps) is there any good way to get them into XML form other
than cutting and pasting the body of one section at a time?
I'm guessing that the latter answer is "no", but thought I'd ask.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:38:20 +0100

I wrote a tutorial given at the last IETF.

The slides and a couple of templates can be found at 
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/xml2rfc.html

Depending on your inclinations and normal operating environment there 
are a number of good and free tools.
My preference is xmlMind with Bill Fenner's xml2rfc plug-in - see the 
slides for refs or http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/xml2rfc-xxe/
This is good for various Os's being written in Java.

Alternatives include jEdit, emacs (with XML package), XMLSpy, 
TextWrangler (see slides - towards the end).

/Elwyn

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:18:19 -0700

On Jun 9, 2006, at 3:38 AM, Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Alternatives include jEdit, emacs (with XML package),

In particular, Emacs with the wonderful NXML emacs-mode -Tim