Subject: RE: Multiple E-mail Addresses for IETF Participants

From: "Mani, Mahalingam \(Mani\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:53:12 -0600

I use multiple email addresses - but stick to one per WG.

-mani
-----Original Message-----
From: Fuller, Barbara [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 6:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ray Pelletier; Brian E Carpenter; Lindberg, Jon; Lee,Michael
Subject: Multiple E-mail Addresses for IETF Participants

Dear IETF Working Group Chairs:

While most IETF participants use one e-mail address for all of their
IETF-related activities, several that we know of use multiple e-mail
addresses.  For example, they might use one e-mail address for
submitting Internet-Drafts, and another e-mail address for subscribing
to the IETF Announcement List.

The current model in our system is: "one e-mail address per
participant."  As a result, if someone submits an Internet-Draft, and
his or her e-mail address is different from the address listed in our
Rolodex, then we update the Rolodex with the latest address.

Changing the model from "one e-mail address per participant" to
"multiple e-mail addresses per participant" is not difficult to do.
However, it will take some effort by the Secretariat to implement and
maintain the system.

While the current Secretariat system can store multiple e-mail addresses
for each participant, we will need to enhance the existing tool that we
use to manage the profiles of IETF participants to associate a given
e-mail address with a specific activity.  We will also need to update
some Web-page generating scripts so that each Web page displays the
proper e-mail address.  For example, if a working group chair would like
one e-mail address associated with the working group charter and another
e-mail address associated with the Internet-Drafts-Database-Interface
(for documents that he or she has authored), then that would
automatically happen.  Finally, once the system and Web scripts have
been updated, then we will need to revise several operational procedures
for obtaining and recording addresses so that people can tell us which
address is associated with each activity.

In order to decide whether or not to proceed, it would be useful to know
how widespread the practice is for using multiple e-mail addresses.
Would investing in these updates affect 10 people? 100 people? 1,000
people?

We would appreciate your thoughts on, and experience with, this issue.
If you would like to weigh in, then please hit "reply all" on this
message.

Cheers!!

Barbara

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:44:07 -0700

Hi -

Some of the participants in WGs I've (co-)chaired use multiple email
addresses for discussions within the group.  I've also seen the case
where participants want to ensure that their work addresses do
NOT get published, even though they may find it necessary to send
in an i-d from such an address.

Randy