Subject: Everything a Chair Needs to Know but Was Afraid to Ask

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:38:20 +0200

Hi,

I believe that the IESG wiki is quite a success and helped enormously
in bridging from the old to the new ADs this year. If you aren't familiar
with it, please spend a few minutes at
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/WikiStart

Now, I find myself wondering whether a similar wiki for and by WG Chairs
and Secretaries would be useful.

"WG Chair Guide - Everything a Chair Needs to Know but Was Afraid  to Ask"

It would mean finding a few activist volunteers to take the lead in generating
a structure and initial content, and some simple wikipedia-like rules to
keep things under control. I assume that with 200 WG chairs around, there
would be no shortage of text. We certainly have material from past WG training
lunches that could help create the initial content.

Everyone I've tested this idea on likes it, and tools.ietf.org could host
such a wiki.

However, to get started we'd need three or four people to form an ad hoc
steering committee, draft the initial table of contents, and hand out initial
writing assignments. After that the wiki would live or die according
to its value to the WG chairs community.

So I'm asking for volunteers to form that steering committee and to get
started.

     Brian