Subject: Re: Multiple E-mail Addresses for IETF Participants

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

brian sez:
> the real question is what model should we use?

all the more reason to know what the intended uses are

a use of 'have an email address for scott in case the secretariat needs
to send him email' is very different than "posting permisison on
IETF mailing lists" or "keep charter page email addresses up to date"

Scott

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:42:12 -0700

> all the more reason to know what the intended uses are

Yes -- our SOP is to have some common understanding and agreement
on the problem space before talking about solutions.

> IETF mailing lists" or "keep charter page email addresses up to date"

 From a tools POV, it's probably all of these and more.

Here's one more multiple email data point to complicate matters.
I use multiple email addresses of the form [email-masked].

If I ever use an address other than [email-masked] in an IETF
email, then it's a mistake on my part.  No tool or human should ever
assume I want any mailing list or other database entry "updated"
when this error occurs.  I should always have to manually initiate
such DB update requests myself, because only I know when they should
be changed.

> Scott

Andy