Subject: Spam misdirected through IETF system?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:35:37 -0500

I just got an E-mail spam sent to [email-masked]. I do not 
administer the bmwg mailing list, nor am I a subscriber. I'm a touch 
mystified on how the E-mail got to me.

Here is an extract from the headers:

...
Received:  from [127.0.0.1] (helo=stiedprmman1.va.neustar.com)	by 
megatron.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)	id 1Gg3Mb-0007bA-9M	for 
[email-masked]; Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:01:57 -0500
Received:  from [10.91.34.44] (helo=ietf-mx.ietf.org)	by 
megatron.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)	id 1Gg3MZ-0007C6-Ed; Fri, 03 
Nov 2006 13:01:55 -0500
Received:  from 088156096069.stk.vectranet.pl ([88.156.96.69])	by 
ietf-mx.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)	id 1Gg3MS-000227-QY; Fri, 03 Nov 
2006 13:01:53 -0500
Received:  from 216.219.254.203 (HELO mailhost.urbanapothecary.com)	by 
ietf.org with esmtp (:X@2>1G* 5P(D) id .*A08--ZX.<DL-Y1	for 
[email-masked]; Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:01:57 -0060
Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
...
To: <[email-masked]>
...

Obviously the Received: at the bottom of the stack is a forgery, but 
maybe it worked some kind of magic?

Tom Taylor

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:17:59 -0500

>mystified on how the E-mail got to me.

I do administer bmwg-list and didn't get the message.
But I did get a message from one of "your aliases", Tom:

>     List:    [email-masked]
>     From:    [email-masked]
>     Subject: HELP ME OUT, PLEASE AM RIGHT NOW IN IRAQ
>     Reason:  Post by non-member to a members-only list

Hope you make it back in time for the meeting, :-)
Al

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:01:26 +0100

A lot of spam is bcc'ed so I've given up worrying about such mysteries.

     Brian