Subject: RE: Call for Corrections

From: "Bunch, Rebecca" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:59:41 -0500

Yes, the Secretariat has fixed the two files in question (saag and
kitten minutes).  Once I saw the tell that says there are non-ASCII
characters present, I started going though all the minutes manually to
determine if any other minutes have non-ASCII characters as well.

Rebecca Bunch
NeuStar Secretariat Services
46000 Center Oak Plaza
Sterling, VA 20166
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:55 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Working Group
Chairs; Bunch, Rebecca; BOF Chairs
Subject: Re: Call for Corrections

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Reported by what? A .txt file doesn't contain headers. The referring
> file simply contains <a href="minutes/saag.txt" target="_blank">

HTTP has headers, including a content-type.  For these files, the server
reports:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

> Also, both of them look right in UTF-8 to me, and both
> look wrong in 8859-1. (using Mozilla 1.6)

The SAAG minutes are indeed UTF-8, but the only non-ASCII character is a
byte-order mark at the beginning of the file (which seems silly in a
file
which uses an 8-bit encoding).

The KITTEN minutes are also UTF-8, and includes byte-order marks plus
the
correct spelling of the name of a certain Swede, which I can't type just
at the moment because of the lack of UTF-8 support in my old version of
pine.

So, both files look correct.  However, the server also reports
last-modified times for both files around 1700 UTC today, so perhaps
someone is reading this thread and has already fixed the problem.  It
certainly wouldn't be the first time the Secretariat had quietly fixed a
problem while people were still whining about it...

-- Jeff