Subject: Call for Corrections

From: "Bunch, Rebecca" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:37:17 -0500

Dear Working Group and BOF Chairs:
 
The deadline for submission of minutes and presentation slides for
inclusion in the proceedings of the 67th IETF meeting was Friday,
December 8, 2006 at 17:00 ET (21:00 GMT).  
 
Status of Submissions:
 
One Hundred Seven (107) Working Groups, BoFs and AG's met at IETF 67
(This number includes the training sessions, Plenary sessions, the IRTF
groups and interim meetings held prior to the 67th IETF). 
 
I am happy to announce that ALL groups have submitted their materials.
The Final Proceedings for the IETF-67 Meeting can be found here:
 
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06nov/index.html

Everybody, please go to the above link and review your submissions on
line and send any corrections to [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>  . The deadline for submitting corrections
is Wednesday December 27, 2006 at 17:00 ET (21:00 GMT).

The IETF Secretariat
 
Rebecca Bunch 
Proceedings Editor 
NeuStar Secretariat Services 
46000 Center Oak Plaza 
Sterling, VA 20166

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:29:42 +0100

Bunch, Rebecca wrote:
...
> I am happy to announce that ALL groups have submitted their materials.

Thanks everybody!

     Brian

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:07:36 -0800

At 8:37 AM -0500 12/18/06, Bunch, Rebecca wrote:
>Everybody, please go to the above link and review your submissions 
>on line and send any corrections to 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] . The deadline for 
>submitting corrections is Wednesday December 27, 2006 at 17:00 ET 
>(21:00 GMT).

It would be great if the IETF ate its own dogfood and used HTTP 
correctly. On the site, there are some text files that are clearly 
not in UTF-8, but the HTTP Content-Type headers say that the text is 
UTF-8. One example is the minutes to the SAAG WG, which is probably 
in 8859-1.

Maybe the Secretariat could do a run through the text files and 
convert them to real UTF-8. Even better, the Secretariat could do a 
run through all the HTML files and make sure they are proper HTML.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:17:56 -0500

Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> line and send any corrections to
> correctly. On the site, there are some text files that are clearly not
> in UTF-8, but the HTTP Content-Type headers say that the text is UTF-8.
> One example is the minutes to the SAAG WG, which is probably in 8859-1.

The minutes for KITTEN have the same problem.  They are 8859-1 text but
are reported as UTF8.

Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:16:17 -0500 (EST)

> The minutes for KITTEN have the same problem.  They are 8859-1 text but

Note that at present, the tools have no way to know what charset you
intended when you uploaded your minutes.  I'd suggest that if you're going
to use non-ascii characters in your minutes, you should (1) use UTF-8, and
(2) upload the minutes as HTML with an appropriate meta tag:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

-- Jeff

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:18:41 +0100

> The minutes for KITTEN have the same problem.  They are 8859-1 text but

Reported by what? A .txt file doesn't contain headers. The referring
file simply contains <a href="minutes/saag.txt" target="_blank">

Also, both of them look right in UTF-8 to me, and both
look wrong in 8859-1. (using Mozilla 1.6)

    Brian

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:55:11 -0500 (EST)

> file simply contains <a href="minutes/saag.txt" target="_blank">

HTTP has headers, including a content-type.  For these files, the server
reports:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

> look wrong in 8859-1. (using Mozilla 1.6)

The SAAG minutes are indeed UTF-8, but the only non-ASCII character is a
byte-order mark at the beginning of the file (which seems silly in a file
which uses an 8-bit encoding).

The KITTEN minutes are also UTF-8, and includes byte-order marks plus the
correct spelling of the name of a certain Swede, which I can't type just
at the moment because of the lack of UTF-8 support in my old version of
pine.

So, both files look correct.  However, the server also reports
last-modified times for both files around 1700 UTC today, so perhaps
someone is reading this thread and has already fixed the problem.  It
certainly wouldn't be the first time the Secretariat had quietly fixed a
problem while people were still whining about it...

-- Jeff

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:10:46 +0900

>file simply contains <a href="minutes/saag.txt" target="_blank">

Which is itself a problem. Web pages should not open new windows
unless at the user's request, for accessibility reasons. So the
above should simply be <a href="minutes/saag.txt">

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:49:01 +0100

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Yeah, my eyes were crossed and I read "HTML headers".

    Brian