Subject: Re: WGLCs & Draft Submission Deadlines

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 03:13:58 -0600

On Mar 7, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

> Speaking as a former and maybe future WG chair, I believe that I am
> close to Andy's position on this. Let us face realities, it is during
> the weeks prior and during the IETF meeting that much of the  
> reading of
> I-Ds happens. Why should we not use this for channeling the reviews in
> WGLC comments, that can be discussed during the face-to-face meetings,
> or in the bar at the IETF venue?
>
> The only amendment I would make as WG chair is to automatically add  
> one
> more week to what I would have counted as the usual WGLC period. This
> would allow folks who are busy with other tasks during the IETF  
> meeting
> week recover and have an opportunity to draft their review.
>

This is precisely what we've done in PWE3.  I.e., stimulate wider WG
review with WG LC and then end LC after the meetings (typically 3
weeks), that way issues that exist can be discussed at the meeting
if need be.

However, we don't do this for I-Ds with outstanding issues or even
drafts on the WG meeting agenda (else they're not ready for LC), but
LC is issued before the meetings when folks give a review to all the  
work
within the WG.  The extra nudge we believe gets a few more reviewers
than would perhaps otherwise have contributed.

-danny