Subject: Plea to WG Chairs about agendas

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:49:54 -0800

The deadline for  draft agenda is this wednesday  - please, please  
have enough of an agenda in by that point that people can at least  
figure out 95% of the drafts that they need to read. For people that  
participate in many working groups, it is really hard to read all the  
material between the time the agenda's come out and the time of the  
meeting. We all know the effectiveness of people reading drafts in  
the meeting or just commenting without reading drafts. Getting the  
agenda in on time (or -gasp- even early) really helps. I do  
understand that events unfold and agendas do change but please, don't  
leave it till the last minute.

Thanks, Cullen

(And double thanks to all the WG that already have send in an agenda)

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:00:31 +0100

If Cullen hadn't said this, I would have.

WG meetings with no agendas are in fact candidates
for cancellation.

    Brian

On 2007-03-03 23:49, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> 
> The deadline for  draft agenda is this wednesday  - please, please have 
> enough of an agenda in by that point that people can at least figure out 
> 95% of the drafts that they need to read. For people that participate in 
> many working groups, it is really hard to read all the material between 
> the time the agenda's come out and the time of the meeting. We all know 
> the effectiveness of people reading drafts in the meeting or just 
> commenting without reading drafts. Getting the agenda in on time (or 
> -gasp- even early) really helps. I do understand that events unfold and 
> agendas do change but please, don't leave it till the last minute.
> 
> Thanks, Cullen
>

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:08:21 -0600

Please, please, cancel every meeting I might possibly show up at!  
yay! I'm done!

--
Dean

On Mar 4, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> figure out 95% of the drafts that they need to read. For people  
>> that participate in many working groups, it is really hard to read  
>> all the material between the time the agenda's come out and the  
>> time of the meeting. We all know the effectiveness of people  
>> reading drafts in the meeting or just commenting without reading  
>> drafts. Getting the agenda in on time (or -gasp- even early)  
>> really helps. I do understand that events unfold and agendas do  
>> change but please, don't leave it till the last minute.
>> Thanks, Cullen

---

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:01:45 +0900

Hi all, 

I am so curious if IETF has its own Antitrust Guideline.

Any comments ?

Daniel

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:57:08 +0100

> I am so curious if IETF has its own Antitrust Guideline.

Daniel,

Thankyou for asking! Just last week, I suggested this to the
EDU team as a possible topic for a future WG Chairs lunch
training. Now I know I was right ;-)

The answer is no, we do not have such written guidelines.
However, many aspects of our process rules (especially RFC 2026,
2418, 3978, 3979) were defined with legal advice to avoid
anti-trust issues. And obviously, it is not OK to discuss prices
or market shares in any way. But we need legal advice to develop
complete guidelines.

For an IEEE version referring to US law, see
http://www.ieee802.org/16/antitrust/guidelines.html

      Brian

---

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:07:11 +0900

Brian, 
 
> training. Now I know I was right ;-)

Cool. 
 
> However, many aspects of our process rules (especially RFC 
> 2026, 2418, 3978, 3979) were defined with legal advice to 
> avoid anti-trust issues. And obviously, it is not OK to 
> discuss prices or market shares in any way. But we need legal 
> advice to develop complete guidelines.
> 

As you may know, all IEEE 802 WG has to let attendees 
know about antitrust guideline at the begining of its sessin
officially via WG chair. Hence, all 802 participants are well 
aware of that. This procedure can be applied for IETF WG.

My 0.02 cents, 

Daniel