Subject: search engine for IETF mailing list archives

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:04:04 +0300

Hi,

I used the Google Coop system to hack together a custom search engine  
IETF WG list archives and some other IETF/IRTF lists: http:// 
tinyurl.com/2f79lm

I'd be interested in feedback whether this is useful or not, and how  
it could be improved.

Thanks,
Lars

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:58:33 -0700

At 4:04 PM +0300 4/17/07, Lars Eggert wrote:
>I'd be interested in feedback whether this is useful or not,

Yes!

>  and how it could be improved.

- It could include WG mailing lists not hosted by ietf.org (a lot of 
up-front manual work, but well worth it)

- I doubt this is possible, but a tag indicating which list the 
returned messages are in (for topics that spread across lists, 
particularly between a WG list and ietf-general)

- Have it deployed on the main IETF web site (a lot of unnecessary 
work dealing with the Secretariat, but well worth it)

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:31:12 +0300

On 2007-4-17, at 16:58, ext Paul Hoffman wrote:
> - It could include WG mailing lists not hosted by ietf.org (a lot  
> of up-front manual work, but well worth it)

That should already work. If I'm missing a list, please send me a URL  
to the archive.

> particularly between a WG list and ietf-general)

I don't know if the Google API can do this. (An approximation is that  
often the list name is included in the subject.)

> work dealing with the Secretariat, but well worth it)

Integrating it with the tools-team work may be easier (and more useful).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lars

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:08:53 +0200

> >I'd be interested in feedback whether this is

+1

> - It could include WG mailing lists not hosted by
> ietf.org (a lot of up-front manual work, but well
> worth it)

+1

> - I doubt this is possible, but a tag indicating
> which list the returned messages are in (for topics
> that spread across lists, particularly between a WG
> list and ietf-general)
>
> - Have it deployed on the main IETF web site (a lot
> of unnecessary work dealing with the Secretariat,
> but well worth it)

+1

> --VPN Consortium

--julien

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:04:35 -0400

At 11:31 AM 4/17/2007, Lars Eggert wrote:
>Paul H. wrote:

A link on the tools page would do it for me.

I spent some productive time with your search engine today, very nice!

Something I've wished-for occasionally is the ability to retrieve
previous search strings, say the last 10 or so, to repeat a search.
I noticed a version of Firefox approximating this on its own, I think.
Does the API have any hooks for this sort of thing?

Al

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:56:17 +0300

> Does the API have any hooks for this sort of thing?

I don't think so.

Lars

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:17:13 +0200

Hi Lars,

on 2007-04-17 17:31 Lars Eggert said the following:
...
> Integrating it with the tools-team work may be easier (and more useful).

I'll work up a page about it and add appropriate links next week.  I'm
way behind on everything due to the blasted server disk replacement which
has been dragging on and on because of unmentionable bah!s and gah!s, but
should have that completed shortly.

	Henrik