Subject: Request to forward the Nomcom 2007-8 Announcement to lists you manage

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:55:05 -0700

Folks,

We have around 50 volunteers so far for Nomcom 2007-8 voting member 
selection.  We need a lot more!  Not everyone subscribes to the 
IETF-Announce list.  Could you please forward the announcement 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/show_nomcom_message.cgi?id=1234 to 
WG, RG, BoF, Area lists that you manage?

Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Lakshminath

---

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:15:38 -0400

No, we don't. In its early years, the nomcom worked fine with volunteer
pools of a little over 40. I've never understood the mania for bigger
and bigger volunteer pools. It seems to me that trying harder and harder
to push people to volunteer just guarantees that you will get people who
are, on average, less and less interested in the IETF as a whole and in
doing the work required on the nomcom.

Donald (a past nomcom chair)

-----Original Message-----
From: Lakshminath Dondeti [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:55 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Request to forward the Nomcom 2007-8 Announcement to lists
youmanage

Folks,

Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Lakshminath

---

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:46:29 -0700

Thanks Donald.  Perhaps your observation might be true if we drag people 
into volunteering.  I am simply attempting to get everyone to see the 
announcement and consider volunteering if they are willing to serve the 
IETF this way.  I am also somewhat concerned too, considering we are 
starting earlier than usual, that people may be thinking of volunteering 
for nomcom after the 2nd IETF meeting (i.e., Chicago meeting).

Several folks already forwarded the announcement to their lists.  Thank 
you.  Others please forward the note at your earliest convenience.

thanks,
Lakshminath

PS:  We don't need to actually try to convince anyone to volunteer; that 
goes to what Donald is getting at.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:57:39 +0300

Donald,

I would hope we have more than 50 people interested in
the IETF -- so I don't think Laksminath is in danger of
running out of the pool of people motivated IETF folks.

Personally, I would also like to see an increase in the
volunteer pool, though. Better circulation of folks
from year to year, make sure the regular IETFers
voice is heard and not just the usual suspects', etc.

(But I have never been in a Nomcom so its possible that
I don't know what I am talking about.)

Jari

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:02:07 +0200

> doing the work required on the nomcom.

Occasonally people complain to me about an IETF decision, and I will ask 
them if they volunteered for NOMCOM.  You can imagine where the 
conversation goes from there.

Eliot