Subject: WG notifications of new IDs is causing problems

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:37:34 -0600

Secretariat

It appears the ID submission tool (or poster) started a practice 
that's becoming a real pain in the behind in late September.  This 
involves sending a notification to a WG that a new version of a WG 
level document has been submitted.  For example, take a message with 
the Subject line of

	"[Geopriv] New Version Notification for (draft-X)"

Unfortunately, on several lists I'm part of, individuals reply or 
even start threads based on these messages. Most folks mailers, but 
not all I imagine, do not show the (draft-X) part of the above 
subject lines (hitting a line length limitation), making sorting and 
even identifying messages real tough, if not impossible (short of 
opening each and every one).  This is especially troublesome when 
sorting threads on active lists.

Further, these messages are essentially identical to your postings 
with a Subject line of

	"[Geopriv] I-D Action:draft-ietf-..."

So I'm also confused why 2 messages are necessary.

AS a specific example, look at the Geopriv archives. Of the last 20 
messages on that list (from the last 3 days), half have the 
"[Geopriv] New Version Notification for (draft-X)" Subject line, yet 
there are several different threads among those messages.  This is 
becoming increasingly noticeable as we go through the ID version 
deadlines. I imagine next week this will be worse than this week.

As chair (of TSVWG) and as an active individual participant of more 
than 50 IETF lists, can I ask that you stop sending out WG 
notification messages that have a Subject line starting with 
"[<wg-name>] New Version Notification for (draft-X)".

Thanks
James
TSVWG co-chair

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:22:57 +0100

Hi James,

On 2007-11-15 19:37 James M. Polk said the following:
<snip good description of bothersome 2-notification situation>

> "[<wg-name>] New Version Notification for (draft-X)".

I agree.

And what's more, I registered a bug regarding this with ietf-action
2 days ago (RT issue #97935).

The notifications from the draft submission tool should continue to
go to all the authors, but not to the WG lists which already receive
a notification through a different mechanism.

	Henrik