Subject: TMDA on the meeting-trouble-desk mailbox

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:35:35 -0500

I found out the hard way, on Tuesday, that TMDA is enabled on [email-masked], the 
meeting-trouble-desk mailbox.  I tried to report a problem with the audio stream, 
and, as I was in the middle of the DKIM session, I did it the easiest way I 
could: I used my gmail address, from my web browser.  That address has never been 
used in an IETF context before.  I sent the message, then went back to the jabber 
room and the meeting slides.

Some while later -- maybe 20 minutes -- I went back to my browser and found a 
TMDA challenge.  My trouble report had not yet gotten to the MTD. 
Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!  Of course, I responded to it, and my message then got through. 
But....

Look: we just can't have anything blocking access to the trouble desk during the 
meeting.  I understand the need here, but it'd be rather like having 
anonymous-call-blocking enabled on 9-1-1, you know?

Bad Idea.

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, DKIM working group chair  ([email-masked])
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/leiba