Subject: where we are on TMDA

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:31:52 -0500

There have not been very many people who spoke but those who did 
speak clearly want the TMDA functionality.  If there is anyone who 
disagrees with this I'd still like to hear about it.

We will put TMDA back in front of the lists, but I can not say 
exactly when yet.  Unfortunately we are still working through some 
datatracker tool and secretariat tool issues, both of which take 
precedence right now.

I've also been keeping a list of activities and suggestions for the 
future, post transition, and I've added to the list having a 
challenge-response system for non-subscriber submissions to mailing 
lists.

I will keep you informed of the schedule as soon as I have 
something more definitive to say.

Thanks for your patience!

Jim

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:51:04 +0100

James,

I haven't caught up on the thread, so apologies if I repeat what others 
have said.
I think the things we want to keep from TMDA are:

- that automatic whitelist of 39.000 or so addresses
- an easy way for new posters (or new posting addresses) to get added to it.

It's entirely possible that a solution different from TMDA is a far better 
long-term solution (after all, such a small set as 39.000 addresses should 
be easily digestible into a Bloom filter that takes next-to-no time to 
check, but I doubt TMDA uses that).

Thanks for getting the old solution running again so that we have time to 
think about a better one!

               Harald

--On 6. februar 2008 15:31 -0500 James M Galvin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There have not been very many people who spoke but those who did speak
> clearly want the TMDA functionality.  If there is anyone who disagrees
> with this I'd still like to hear about it.
>
> We will put TMDA back in front of the lists, but I can not say exactly
> when yet.  Unfortunately we are still working through some datatracker
> tool and secretariat tool issues, both of which take precedence right now.
>
> challenge-response system for non-subscriber submissions to mailing lists.
>
> I will keep you informed of the schedule as soon as I have something more
> definitive to say.
>