Subject: Problem with email submission of IDs

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:14:11 -0600

For as long as I can remember, and I've submitted more than 180 IDs 
in the last 10 years, I've received an email notification just after 
submitting an ID to the Secretariat, effectively saying

	"we got your submission. If it's right, and before the deadline,
	  we'll post it"

This response, verifying that the IETF did in fact receive my 
submission, usually occurs within about 15 minutes.

Well, I've submitted one ID twice early this morning and received no 
such notification. The second submission was because I didn't get 
this response within 3 hours. This has me thinking all sorts of things, from

'I sent it to the wrong address',
to
'it didn't really get there',
to
' the receiving server isn't functioning'
to
something else...

so yeah, I'm panicking a bit -- and I don't like it

What's up with this?

Is it a purposeful change in Secretariat behavior (that some of us 
have relied on for years)? Or something else that's broken?