Subject: can we stop this nonsense about dublin please?

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:04:22 +1000

folks, as WG chairs we have two roles. one, is to help run WG. the  
other, is that we are
given free beer and nuts, in return for not being gratuitously nasty  
to the secretariat or the IAB. (the IESG on the other hand, we are  
actually encouraged to throw rocks at. the ironies..)

so, absent a sergeant at arms for the wgchairs list, can I BEG you, in  
the bowels of christ (as oliver cromwell said) to consider you might  
be wrong,

wrong wrong wrong. to buy into this crap about the hotel, the food,  
the cost, the process, the
interminable, mind-boggling stupidities of people who believe rough  
consensus over a documentation series translates to rough consensus  
over every single decision ever, in the world.

please. stop. my brain hurts.

can somebody who is in the IEEE or USENIX, or even the federated  
clamshell and kiwanis tell me that they don't do this to themselves  
when they pick hotels to meet in. It is just us, isn't it?

because I need that faith in the human race. I need to believe that  
out there, there are people

WHO ARE LESS STUPID THAN WE ARE

enough.

-George

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:59:32 -0800

George Michaelson wrote:
> given free beer and nuts, in return for not being gratuitously nasty to 
> the secretariat or the IAB. (the IESG on the other hand, we are actually 
> encouraged to throw rocks at. the ironies..)
> 
> the bowels of christ (as oliver cromwell said) to consider you might be 
> wrong,
> 
> wrong wrong wrong. to buy into this crap about the hotel, the food, the 
> cost, the process, the
> consensus over a documentation series translates to rough consensus over 
> every single decision ever, in the world.
> 

The nattering appears inevitable with this crowd.

The solution set for planning an IETF meeting is more complicated than a 
lot of large scale meetings I've worked on, but less complicated than 
say launching a war. A given solution may not please everyone, or indeed 
anyone, but, all entail compromise.

> clamshell and kiwanis tell me that they don't do this to themselves when 
> they pick hotels to meet in. It is just us, isn't it?

Not really, but there are degrees, in organizations where it's 
politically important to meet in a particular location the participants 
are expected to cope.

> because I need that faith in the human race. I need to believe that out 
> there, there are people
> 

There are people who are less free with their opinions.

> enough.

indeed.