Subject: Users unsubscribed from mailing list

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:53:03 -0400

I'm seeing a bunch of users unsubscribed from one of the WG lists I  
run. Are others seeing this? Any idea what is going on?

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:58:36 -0400

I am not, at least so far.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:25:48 -0400

-- On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:53 AM -0400 Cullen Jennings 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding Users unsubscribed from mailing 
list --

>
> I'm seeing a bunch of users unsubscribed from one of the WG lists
> I run. Are others seeing this? Any idea what is going on?

On the one hand, this is ordinary.  There's an option you can turn 
off so Mailman won't even notify you of the unsubscribe.  Turning 
the option off is a reasonable setting for a public mailing list 
like a working group list, i.e., a list where people can subscribe 
and unsubscribe themselves.

The question is, should they have been unsubscribed?

Mailman manages subscriptions directly.  When a subscriber's score 
exceeds the threshold the email address is removed.  The score 
increases as long as messages fail to be delivered.  The score also 
resets when messages start delivering again.

So, on the other hand, it's only a problem if the subscriber should 
not have dropped off the list.  If that's true, it must be the case 
that email from the IETF server is not getting to the subscriber 
and it might be worth investigating why that is, although even that 
most likely means the subscriber needs to make a change at their 
end.

Jim