Subject: Re: missing replaced-by information

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:09:05 -0700

FYI, here is the latest run:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
APP Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
LEMONADE Working Group, APP Area
    draft-cook-lemonade-streaming REPLACED BY draft-ietf-lemonade- 
streaming
    draft-maes-lemonade-vfolder REPLACED BY draft-ietf-lemonade-vfolder

USEFOR Working Group, APP Area
    draft-allbery-usefor-usepro REPLACED BY draft-ietf-usefor-usepro

VCARDDAV Working Group, APP Area
    draft-resnick-vcarddav-vcardrev REPLACED BY draft-ietf-vcarddav- 
vcardrev

-----------------------------------------------------------------
GEN Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
INT Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
6MAN Working Group, INT Area
    draft-arifumi-6man-addr-select-sol REPLACED BY draft-ietf-6man- 
addr-select-sol

AUTOCONF Working Group, INT Area
    draft-baccelli-autoconf-statement REPLACED BY draft-ietf-autoconf- 
statement

DHC Working Group, INT Area
    draft-droms-dhc-container-opt REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dhc-container- 
opt
    draft-stapp-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dhc- 
dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery
    draft-joshi-dhc-l2ra REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra

HIP Working Group, INT Area
    draft-schmitt-hip-nat-traversal REPLACED BY draft-ietf-hip-nat- 
traversal

L2TPEXT Working Group, INT Area
    draft-ieft-l2tpext-tdm REPLACED BY draft-ietf-l2tpext-tdm

L2VPN Working Group, INT Area
    draft-sajassi-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop
    draft-nadeau-l2vpn-vpls-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mib
    draft-aissaoui-l2vpn-vpws-iw-oam REPLACED BY draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpws- 
iw-oam

L3VPN Working Group, INT Area
    draft-raggarwa-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp

PWE3 Working Group, INT Area
    draft-bryant-pwe3-mpls-transport REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls- 
transport
    draft-muley-pwe3-redundancy REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy

SOFTWIRE Working Group, INT Area
    draft-wu-softwire-mesh-framework REPLACED BY draft-ietf-softwire- 
mesh-framework

TRILL Working Group, INT Area
    draft-touch-trill-rbridge-arch REPLACED BY draft-ietf-trill- 
rbridge-arch
    draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-protocol REPLACED BY draft-ietf-trill- 
rbridge-protocol

-----------------------------------------------------------------
OPS Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CAPWAP Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-kelly-capwap-threat-analysis REPLACED BY draft-ietf-capwap- 
threat-analysis

DIME Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-fajardo-dime-app-design-guide REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime- 
app-design-guide
    draft-tschofenig-dime-diameter-qos REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime- 
diameter-qos
    draft-tschofenig-dime-mip6-integrated REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime- 
mip6-integrated
    draft-tschofenig-dime-mip6-split REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime-mip6- 
split
    draft-korhonen-dime-qos-attributes REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime-qos- 
attributes
    draft-korhonen-dime-qos-parameters REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dime-qos- 
parameters

DNSOP Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-koch-dnsop-resolver-priming REPLACED BY draft-ietf-dnsop- 
resolver-priming

IPFIX Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-boschi-ipfix-biflow REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix-biflow
    draft-trammell-ipfix-biflow REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix-biflow
    draft-boschi-ipfix-exporting-type REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix- 
exporting-type
    draft-trammell-ipfix-file REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix-file
    draft-boschi-ipfix-implementation-guidelines REPLACED BY draft- 
ietf-ipfix-implementation-guidelines
    draft-dietz-ipfix-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix-mib
    draft-boschi-ipfix-reducing-redundancy REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ipfix-reducing-redundancy
    draft-schmoll-ipfix-testing REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ipfix-testing

MBONED Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-koch-mboned-mcast-arpa REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mboned-mcast- 
arpa
    draft-asaeda-mboned-mtrace-v2 REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace- 
v2
    draft-venaas-mboned-ssmping REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping

NETCONF Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-chisholm-netconf-monitoring REPLACED BY draft-ietf-netconf- 
monitoring
    draft-scott-netconf-monitoring REPLACED BY draft-ietf-netconf- 
monitoring

OPSEC Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-bonica-opsec-nmasc REPLACED BY draft-ietf-opsec-nmasc

RADEXT Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-aboba-radext-fixes REPLACED BY draft-ietf-radext-fixes
    draft-chiba-radext-rfc3576bis REPLACED BY draft-ietf-radext- 
rfc3576bis

V6OPS Working Group, OPS Area
    draft-shin-v6ops-802-16-deployment-scenarios REPLACED BY draft- 
ietf-v6ops-802-16-deployment-scenarios
    draft-vandevelde-v6ops-addcon REPLACED BY draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RAI Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
AVT Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-xie-avt-forward-shifted-red REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt- 
forward-shifted-red
    draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-hc- 
over-mpls-protocol
    draft-sollaud-avt-rfc4749-dtx-update REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt- 
rfc4749-dtx-update
    draft-clark-avt-rtcphr REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtcphr
    draft-clark-avt-rtcpxr-video REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtcpxr-video
    draft-perkins-avt-rtp-and-rtcp-mux REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtp- 
and-rtcp-mux
    draft-link-avt-rtp-eac3 REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtp-eac3
    draft-hdesinen-avt-rtp-evrc-wb REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtp-evrc- 
wb
    draft-wenger-avt-rtp-svc REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc
    draft-hiwasaki-avt-rtp-uemclip REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-rtp- 
uemclip
    draft-seokung-avt-seed-srtp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-seed-srtp
    draft-wenger-avt-topologies REPLACED BY draft-ietf-avt-topologies

BLISS Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-elwell-bliss-ach-analysis REPLACED BY draft-ietf-bliss-ach- 
analysis
    draft-poetzl-bliss-call-completion REPLACED BY draft-ietf-bliss- 
call-completion
    draft-rosenberg-bliss-problem-statement REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
bliss-problem-statement

ECRIT Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-polk-ecrit-dhc-lost-discovery REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ecrit- 
dhc-lost-discovery
    draft-rosen-ecrit-framework REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ecrit-framework
    draft-hardie-ecrit-lost REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ecrit-lost
    draft-taylor-ecrit-security-threats REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ecrit- 
security-threats

ENUM Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-lendl-enum-branch-location-record REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
enum-branch-location-record
    draft-mahy-enum-calendar-service REPLACED BY draft-ietf-enum- 
calendar-service
    draft-conroy-enum-edns0 REPLACED BY draft-ietf-enum-edns0
    draft-mahy-enum-im-service REPLACED BY draft-ietf-enum-im-service
    draft-hoeneisen-enum-x-service-regs REPLACED BY draft-ietf-enum-x- 
service-regs

GEOPRIV Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-schnizlein-geopriv-binary-lci REPLACED BY draft-ietf-geopriv- 
binary-lci
    draft-polk-geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option
    draft-tschofenig-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps REPLACED BY draft-ietf-geopriv- 
l7-lcp-ps
    draft-marshall-geopriv-lbyr-requirements REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
geopriv-lbyr-requirements
    draft-thomson-geopriv-lis-discovery REPLACED BY draft-ietf-geopriv- 
lis-discovery
    draft-mahy-geopriv-loc-filters REPLACED BY draft-ietf-geopriv-loc- 
filters

MEDIACTRL Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-dolly-mediactrl-requirements REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
mediactrl-requirements

MMUSIC Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-garcia-mmusic-file-transfer-mech REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
mmusic-file-transfer-mech
    draft-andreasen-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation REPLACED BY  
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation
    draft-andreasen-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-reqts REPLACED  
BY draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-reqts
    draft-fischl-mmusic-sdp-dtls REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-dtls
    draft-andreasen-mmusic-securityprecondition REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
mmusic-securityprecondition

SIGTRAN Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-tuexen-sigtran-rfc4233update REPLACED BY draft-ietf-sigtran- 
rfc4233update

SIMPLE Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-niemi-simple-chat REPLACED BY draft-ietf-simple-chat
    draft-burger-simple-imdn REPLACED BY draft-ietf-simple-imdn
    draft-rosenberg-simple-simple REPLACED BY draft-ietf-simple-simple

SIPPING Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-camarillo-sipping-consent-format REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-consent-format
    draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-overload-reqs
    draft-camarillo-sipping-pending-additions REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-pending-additions
    draft-houri-sipping-presence-scaling-requirements REPLACED BY  
draft-ietf-sipping-presence-scaling-requirements
    draft-petrie-sipping-profile-datasets REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-profile-datasets
    draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs REPLACED BY draft-ietf-sipping- 
sbc-funcs
    draft-drage-sipping-service-identification REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-service-identification
    draft-rosenberg-sipping-service-identification REPLACED BY draft- 
ietf-sipping-service-identification
    draft-sawada-sipping-sip-offeranswer REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
sipping-sip-offeranswer
    draft-elwell-sipping-update-pai REPLACED BY draft-ietf-sipping- 
update-pai

SPEERMINT Working Group, RAI Area
    draft-meyer-speermint-reqs-and-terminology REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
speermint-reqs-and-terminology

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RTG Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CCAMP Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-berger-ccamp-asymm-bw-bidir-lsps REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-asymm-bw-bidir-lsps
    draft-li-ccamp-confirm-data-channel-status REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-confirm-data-channel-status
    draft-berger-ccamp-gmpls-alarm-spec REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ccamp- 
gmpls-alarm-spec
    draft-dimitri-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-ospf REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-ospf
    draft-nadeau-ccamp-gmpls-oam-requirements REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-gmpls-oam-requirements
    draft-ayyangar-ccamp-inter-domain-rsvp-te REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-inter-domain-rsvp-te
    draft-chen-ccamp-isis-interas-te-extension REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
ccamp-isis-interas-te-extension
    draft-xie-ccamp-lsp-dppm REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm
    draft-ayyangar-ccamp-lsp-stitching REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ccamp- 
lsp-stitching
    draft-bradford-ccamp-path-key-ero REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ccamp- 
path-key-ero
    draft-aruns-ccamp-rsvp-restart-ext REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ccamp- 
rsvp-restart-ext

FORCES Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-ansari-forces-discovery REPLACED BY draft-ietf-forces- 
discovery
    draft-anderson-forces-model REPLACED BY draft-ietf-forces-model
    draft-hadi-forces-sctptml REPLACED BY draft-ietf-forces-sctptml
    draft-hadi-forces-tmlsp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-forces-tmlsp
    draft-jhs-forces-tmlsp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-forces-tmlsp

IDR Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-marques-idr-flow-spec REPLACED BY draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec
    draft-lefaucheur-idr-v4nlri-v6nh REPLACED BY draft-ietf-idr-v4nlri- 
v6nh

ISIS Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-chopps-isis-bfd-tlv REPLACED BY draft-ietf-isis-bfd-tlv
    draft-ginsberg-isis-genapp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-isis-genapp
    draft-previdi-isis-mi REPLACED BY draft-ietf-isis-mi

L1VPN Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-basic-mode REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
l1vpn-applicability-basic-mode
    draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-enhanced-mode REPLACED BY draft- 
ietf-l1vpn-applicability-enhanced-mode
    draft-fedyk-l1vpn-basic-mode REPLACED BY draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode
    draft-ouldbrahim-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery
    draft-bryskin-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery

MPLS Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-vasseur-mpls-3209-patherr REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-3209- 
patherr
    draft-farrel-mpls-iana-rsvp-session-flags REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
mpls-iana-rsvp-session-flags
    draft-thomas-mpls-ldp-capabilities REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-ldp- 
capabilities
    draft-decraene-mpls-ldp-interarea REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-ldp- 
interarea
    draft-thomas-mpls-ldp-typed-wildcard REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls- 
ldp-typed-wildcard
    draft-swallow-mpls-mcast-cv REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-mcast-cv
    draft-leroux-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp- 
reqs
    draft-vasseur-mpls-number-0-bw-te-lsps REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls- 
number-0-bw-te-lsps
    draft-leroux-mpls-p2mp-te-bypass REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp- 
te-bypass
    draft-swallow-mpls-remote-lsp-ping REPLACED BY draft-ietf-mpls- 
remote-lsp-ping
    draft-ali-mpls-rsvp-te-no-php-oob-mapping REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
mpls-rsvp-te-no-php-oob-mapping

OSPF Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-ogier-ospf-dbex-opt REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ospf-dbex-opt
    draft-nguyen-ospf-lls REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ospf-lls
    draft-rawat-ospf-mt-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ospf-mt-mib
    draft-berger-ospf-rfc2370bis REPLACED BY draft-ietf-ospf-rfc2370bis

PCE Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-ash-pce-architecture REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-architecture
    draft-vasseur-pce-brpc REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-brpc
    draft-ash-pce-comm-protocol-gen-reqs REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce- 
comm-protocol-gen-reqs
    draft-stephan-pce-disc-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-disc-mib
    draft-sivabalan-pce-dste REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-dste
    draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-ext REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-inter- 
layer-ext
    draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-frwk REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-inter- 
layer-frwk
    draft-vasseur-pce-monitoring REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-monitoring
    draft-leroux-pce-of REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-of
    draft-bradford-pce-path-key REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-path-key
    draft-bryskin-pce-policy-enabled-path-comp REPLACED BY draft-ietf- 
pce-policy-enabled-path-comp
    draft-stephan-pce-tc-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pce-tc-mib

PIM Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-mcwalter-pim-bsr-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib
    draft-savola-pim-lasthop-threats REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pim- 
lasthop-threats
    draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pim-sm- 
linklocal

RPSEC Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-beard-rpsec-routing-threats REPLACED BY draft-ietf-rpsec- 
routing-threats

RTGWG Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-atlas-rtgwg-ipfrr-ip-mib REPLACED BY draft-ietf-rtgwg-ipfrr- 
ip-mib

SIDR Working Group, RTG Area
    draft-huston-sidr-res-certs REPLACED BY draft-ietf-sidr-res-certs

-----------------------------------------------------------------
SEC Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HOKEY Working Group, SEC Area
    draft-clancy-hokey-reauth-ps REPLACED BY draft-ietf-hokey-reauth-ps

KEYPROV Working Group, SEC Area
    draft-doherty-keyprov-dskpp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp
    draft-hoyer-keyprov-portable-symmetric-key-container REPLACED BY  
draft-ietf-keyprov-portable-symmetric-key-container

MSEC Working Group, SEC Area
    draft-baugher-msec-gdoi-srtp REPLACED BY draft-ietf-msec-gdoi-srtp
    draft-gross-msec-ipsec-composite-group REPLACED BY draft-ietf-msec- 
ipsec-composite-group
    draft-dondeti-msec-ipsec-tesla REPLACED BY draft-ietf-msec-ipsec- 
tesla

PKIX Working Group, SEC Area
    draft-hoffman-pkix-new-asn1 REPLACED BY draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1

TLS Working Group, SEC Area
    draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb REPLACED BY draft-ietf-tls-suiteb

-----------------------------------------------------------------
TSV Area
-----------------------------------------------------------------
draft-ietf-forces-tmlsp may replace one or more of 2 individual IDs -  
check this
draft-ietf-ipfix-biflow may replace one or more of 2 individual IDs -  
check this
draft-ietf-netconf-monitoring may replace one or more of 2 individual  
IDs - check this
draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification may replace one or more of 2  
individual IDs - check this
draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-arch may replace one or more of 2 individual  
IDs - check this

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:28:47 +0300

> FYI, here is the latest run:

Just a small comment/question: how useful it is to add replaced-by
information for drafts that have already expired?

(For almost all SEC area drafts in this list, the individual
drafts became WG items a long time ago, and have expired since.)

>     draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb REPLACED BY draft-ietf-tls-suiteb

Or actually two bug reports: First, draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb 
already has "replaced-by" information in the tracker (but the draft 
that replaced it is not actually the one suggested here). Probably
the script shouldn't report cases where the replaced-by information
already exists?

Second, draft-ietf-tls-suiteb is in "Withdrawn by IETF" state
(there was some administrative hassle, never mind the specifics);
probably the script should suggest only active drafts as replacements?

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:14:45 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:29 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: missing replaced-by information
> 
> Lars Eggert wrote:
> 
> Just a small comment/question: how useful it is to add 
> replaced-by information for drafts that have already expired?
> 

I personally believe that is important in some cases to be able to read
easily the DNA track and reconstitute the decision process that lead to
the current configuration of a document. 

Dan

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:04:28 +0200

Pasi,

> information for drafts that have already expired?

This is mostly a question of the general history correctness; sometimes
it may be useful to look at datatracker and figure out what happened
years ago. Not a very high priority to get this right, but its also
relatively painless to fix it.

There is at least one tool that uses this information, my document
lifecycle visualization tool. (See
http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-radext-fixes-timing.html
for an example.)

Note: when Lars sent out his list, I simply checked the ones that I
belong to my WGs and sent the secretary a batch of replaced-by additions
to the database. Worked well.

Jari

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:07:44 +0300

> information for drafts that have already expired?

Not very. If I have a minute, I'll tech the script to mark those.

> probably the script should suggest only active drafts as replacements?

Right, the script needs to grow a few checks. So far, I'm counting on  
the WG chairs to sanity-check the output before they submit tickets  
based on it.

Lars

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:26:04 +0200

Lars,

> the WG chairs to sanity-check the output before they submit tickets  

I have a Python version which seems to produce the same output as the
bash script you sent me earlier.  I wrote it in order to add the relative
dates check I included in my pseudocode last time we talked about this,
but haven't had time to do so yet.  Still, it might be easier to extend
the Python version to cover the proposed fixes/enhancements.  Do you want
the code?

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:00:23 +0300

Hi,

> the Python version to cover the proposed fixes/enhancements.  Do you  

sure, your version might be less ugly than mine :-)

Is there a tools team svn where this and other software could live?

Lars

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:18:10 -0500

Hi, Pasi/Jari/Lars,

I would have thought that anything that helps people identify pre-existing 
work when doing prior art searches would be helpful. I'm surprised that no 
one else pointed this out, so I could be wrong, but that was my first 
thought.

As a Gen-ART reviewer, I've seen some really tortured document histories 
(expired, even expired multiple times) for drafts I'm reviewing at IETF Last 
Call, and even at IESG telechat agenda time, so for at least some drafts, 
expiring doesn't seem to be that significant. :-)

This does seem to differ between areas, IIRC, so YMMV.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:08:54 +0200

Hi Lars,

> sure, your version might be less ugly than mine :-)

Enclosed.  Take a look.  The path.py file is a library module; if you
don't like the dependency it's easy to change the code to do os.path.xxxx()
calls directly.  path.py can live in the same directory as the main
script, or in one of the pythonX.X library direcories.

> Is there a tools team svn where this and other software could live?

Yes.  Using the same username as for other stuff on tools.ietf.org,
check out svn.tools.ietf.org/group/tools, create a subdirectory for
your stuff, and commit.  You'll need your tools server password when
committing:

   svn co --username=<[email-masked]> http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/group/tools
   cd tools
   mkdir idreplacements
   (save stuff)
   svn commit -m "Commit message"
	(you should be queried for your password here)

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 00:42:45 -0500

On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:18 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Hi, Pasi/Jari/Lars,
>
> I would have thought that anything that helps people identify pre- 
> existing work when doing prior art searches would be helpful. I'm  
> surprised that no one else pointed this out, so I could be wrong,  
> but that was my first thought.

Good catch, Spencer.

This sort of thing seriously makes my patent-busting life easier! I'm  
frequently digging through stuff trying to find the individual drafts  
that led to wg drafts that led to RFCs.

--
Dean