Subject: List Archives

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 23:18:26 +0200

I was about to write a message to the list in a completely different matter,
and noticed that I haven't seen any mail to the list for a week or more.

Wondering if this was a problem with my subscription, I went to check the
list archives, first going to the list info page:

   https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wgchairs

and then following the link which (via a login page) led to
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/private/wgchairs/

There I got this message:

	"The WGChairs Archives

	You can get more information about this list.

	Currently, there are no archives."

Does anybody know where the archives are, or whether this is an old state
of things and we never had any archives, and in that case, why?

	Henrik

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 19:50:32 -0400

The IETF does not use Mailman archive functionality.

You're looking for:

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/wgchairs/

Jim

-- On Sunday, May 04, 2008 11:18 PM +0200 Henrik Levkowetz 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding List Archives --

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 02:41:44 +0200

> The IETF does not use Mailman archive functionality.

Hmm.  First, I'm not sure how relevant that is to what I wrote.  I
followed the link on the list info page, which leads to a page that
says there are no archives.

Secondly, I know of lists which most definitely have Mailman archives,
so this seems to be not quite as absolute as you indicate ...

>     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/wgchairs/

Thanks.

	Henrik

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:07:04 -0400

-- On Monday, May 05, 2008 2:41 AM +0200 Henrik Levkowetz 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re: List Archives --

> followed the link on the list info page, which leads to a page
> that says there are no archives.

Ah, I misunderstood your note.  That link is a default link setup 
my Mailman, which points to default Mailman archives.

The issue is that the wgchairs mailing list does not have anything 
set in its "description" on the General options page, which would 
then eliminate the default on the listinfo page.

I'll put in a suggestion to get that updated.

> Secondly, I know of lists which most definitely have Mailman
> archives, so this seems to be not quite as absolute as you
> indicate ...

Really?  Can you give me an example?

While it is possible to turn on Mailman archives it is not possible 
to access them.  The URLs are all rewritten to something else. 
Thus, enabling Mailman archives is just using up disk space.

Jim

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 20:33:20 +0200

> I'll put in a suggestion to get that updated.

Sounds like an idea.

> Thus, enabling Mailman archives is just using up disk space.

There are several, and they are accessible, and I'm perfetly happy
to have them accessible as there are some characteristics of the
MHonArc archive interface which bugs the hell out of me.

	Henrik

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 15:21:39 -0400

-- On Monday, May 05, 2008 8:33 PM +0200 Henrik Levkowetz 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re: List Archives --

> there are some characteristics of the

MHonArc can be changed.  There are some things I don't find 
particularly "interesting", too.  Are you interested in collecting 
some suggestions for change?

The one thing I don't like about the Mailman archives that is a 
showstopper for me is that they don't do threading properly.  Other 
than that it has a certain simplicity to its design that is very 
appealing.

Jim

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:24:39 +0200

> some suggestions for change?

Not at this time.  Too many other fish to fry.

> than that it has a certain simplicity to its design that is very 

Right.

	Henrik

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 16:00:55 -0700

> some suggestions for change?

I would love to get flat (mbox style) archives of various lists.  Then I can
do searching and threading and re-ordering myself, locally, using my own
tools.

-d

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 19:48:30 -0400

-- On Monday, May 05, 2008 4:00 PM -0700 Dan Wing <[email-masked]> 
wrote regarding RE: List Archives --

> I would love to get flat (mbox style) archives of various lists.
> Then I can do searching and threading and re-ordering myself,
> locally, using my own tools.

These are available here:

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/text/LISTNAME

Jim

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:53:24 -0700

>     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/text/LISTNAME

Awesome.  Thanks!

-d