Subject: New trend in spam

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:42:35 -0400

In the past few days I've seen a lot of bounces that are notifications from 
other IETF lists -- either that the message is awaiting moderator action or that 
E-mail commands have failed. Looks like some spammer is forging our list names 
as sources in an attempt to evade our controls.

Tom Taylor

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:13:32 +0200

On 2008-6-9, at 16:42, ext Tom Taylor wrote:
> In the past few days I've seen a lot of bounces that are  
> notifications from other IETF lists -- either that the message is  
> awaiting moderator action or that E-mail commands have failed. Looks  
> like some spammer is forging our list names as sources in an attempt  
> to evade our controls.

I saw this, too. I suspect a spammer subscribed to some of our lists  
to harvest valid addresses. I saw a flurry of moderation messages for  
various IETF and non-IETF lists after I sent an email that was CC'ed  
to TSVAREA, P2PRG, P2PSIP and P2PI (as well as the IAB and IESG, but  
if someone is harvesting addresses there, we have larger issues...)

Lars

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:24:03 -0400

I suggested previously that there is no reason to send these bounce /  
backscatter messages - IETF lists should not
join other lists, or send them messages - but the feeling was that  
TDMA issues had to be worked out first,
and might actually fix this anyway.

Regards
Marshall

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

>> awaiting moderator action or that E-mail commands have failed.  
>> Looks like some spammer is forging our list names as sources in an  
>> attempt to evade our controls.
>
> to harvest valid addresses. I saw a flurry of moderation messages  
> for various IETF and non-IETF lists after I sent an email that was  
> CC'ed to TSVAREA, P2PRG, P2PSIP and P2PI (as well as the IAB and  
> IESG, but if someone is harvesting addresses there, we have larger  
> issues...)
>
> Lars