Subject: Re: 73rd IETF - Registration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:04:59 +0000

I tried to get a room at the Hilton, through the link on the IETF Registration page. They say, "No rooms are available at that rate." 

Since I guessed and tried this two hours ago, I doubt we sold out before we started....
 
------Original Message------
From: IETF Secretariat
Sender: [email-masked]
To: IETF Announcement list
Cc: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: 73rd IETF - Registration
Sent: Aug 21, 2008 5:52 PM

73rd IETF Meeting
Minneapolis, MN, USA
November 16-21, 2008
Host: Google

Registration is now open for the 73rd IETF Meeting!

You can register on line at: 
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/73/

REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
Early-Bird Registration - USD 635.00

If you register and pay for your attendance to the IETF-73 before Friday,
7 November 2008 at 17:00 PDT (01:00 Saturday, November 8 UTC/GMT), you
will pay the early-bird price of USD 635.00. 
 
After Early-Bird cutoff - USD 785.00
 
You can still register and pay online at USD 785.00 until Friday, November
14, 2008 at 17:00 PDT (01:00 Saturday, November 15 UTC/GMT).

Full-time Student Registrations - USD 150.00

Full-time students with proper ID are eligible to receive a special USD
150.00 student rate. Student rate is not subject to any late-fees.
Students will also be able to register on-site at the special student
rate. Failure to provide valid student ID on-site will revoke the special
student status. 

CANCELLATION:

The cut-off for registration cancellation is Monday, 10 November at 17:00
PDT (01:00 Tuesday, November 11 UTC/GMT).  Cancellations are subject to a
10% (ten percent) cancellation fee if requested by that date and time.

ON-SITE REGISTRATION:

You can register onsite at the meeting in Minneapolis, MN starting
Sunday, 16 November at 12:00 noon (local Minneapolis Time).

The IETF meetings start Monday morning and run through Friday lunchtime,
with late scheduling changes.  Most training session take place on Sunday
afternoon 16 November.  Participants should plan their travel accordingly.

The IETF Secretariat

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

---

From: Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:42:02 -0500

Eric,

Let me see what is happening, we should not be sold out already!

Marcia

On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> I tried to get a room at the Hilton, through the link on the IETF  
> Registration page. They say, "No rooms are available at that rate."
>

---

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:04:34 -0400

One check to do is to make sure the right dates are set for the
reservation.
I initially tried to make a reservation without checking, and the dates
of stay were set for Nov. 6 through 27.  I then got the "No rooms"
response. When the correct dates were inserted I was able to reserve a
room.

Lyndon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Marcia Beaulieu
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 73rd IETF - Registration

Eric,

Marcia

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:27:30 -0400

Precisely my problem.

In this case, a good thing it failed.

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:17:19 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

[Attempted to reply on Friday but ran into a hiccup at the core3.amsl.com 
server.  That was fixed, but my end seems to have interpreted it as a 
permanent failure, i.e., no retransmission.  Apologies if this turns out 
to be a duplicate.  All facts below re-verified today.]

The hotel online reservation page that you get to from the IETF page 
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/MSPMHHH-IET-20081106/index.jhtml 
specifically says "A block of rooms have been reserved for November 6, 
2008 - November 27, 2008".  But after experimenting with different 
reservation dates, it appears to me that the rate is only good for Nov 14 
through Nov 24 (Fri before the meeting to Mon after, which is a not 
ungenerous overlap, actually).

Then when you get to the "select your room rate" page, the page mentions 
the "IETF FALL CONFERENCE DATES: 11/06/2008 - 11/28/2008" and clicking on 
"more" gets a pop up window that says:

    Rate Type Details

    Rate Type:
    INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE CONFERENCE
    DATES: 11/06/2008 - 11/28/2008 CUTOFF: 10/24/2008

The hotel seems to be confused.

Hopefully, they are only confused about the date the rate is effective, 
not the dates of the meeting.  :-)

--Sandy