Subject: IETF Meeting Network Services RFP

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:09:53 -0400

Network Services RFP for IETF and Large Interim Meetings

The Internet Society and the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee  
(IAOC) are seeking a vendor to perform network services for Internet  
Engineering Task Force (IETF) meetings and Large Interim Meetings, if  
and when held, beginning in 2009 for a three (3) year period, with an  
opportunity for two (2) one year extensions. Generally, the services  
would include: performing a pre-meeting site survey; developing a  
detailed network design; installing all equipment; conducting tests;  
and providing operations, systems management; user support functions  
during the meeting; and storage of IETF equipment. This is an  
indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract.

The Meeting Network Services RFPRFP can be found at this location:  http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html/

The IETF conducts three, one-week meetings a year throughout the  
world.  Attendance is in the range of 1,100 to 1,300 per meeting.   
These meetings are in furtherance of the IETF’s mission of standards  
development for the Internet.  Attendees include engineers, computer  
scientists, and academicians who are always connected with one or more  
devices.  The meetings are typically conducted in March, July and  
November.  Meeting venues include hotels with conference space (the  
preference), as well as standalone conference centers.  Meeting space  
requirements are typically 40,000 square feet, comprised of 8 meeting  
rooms for simultaneous sessions, holding between 100 – 500 people; one  
Plenary room holding 1,000 people; a 120 seat terminal room; 5  
offices; and a registration area.

The IETF is experimenting with Large Interim Meetings beginning in  
2009.  If shown to be successful, Large Interim Meetings will likely  
be held twice per year.  These are expected to be three-day meetings  
with four simultaneous sessions and an anticipated attendance of 300 –  
500 people.

Generally, the wireless network must service all meeting rooms,  
terminal room, offices, the registration area, and public spaces.   
Limited wired services are required in the meeting rooms and  
registration area, however the terminal room requires upwards of 150  
drops.  Audio streaming and Jabber conference rooms are provided in  
addition to the wired and wireless network services for the meeting.

Connecting the IETF meeting to the Internet is done through a pair of  
redundant circuits. These circuits historically consist of a high  
speed primary link and a lower speed backup link.  These links are  
generally brought in specifically for the event, though existing venue  
links can sometimes be utilized for backup purposes.  The circuits are  
often donated from ISPs and PTTs that are friendly with the IETF, but  
must be ordered and purchased if no donations can be arranged.

The IETF maintains a team of volunteer network engineers and  
architects, drawn from within the ranks of IETF attendees.  This team  
has been involved in every IETF event network for many years, and  
provides site-selection and other technical guidance to the IAD and  
IAOC.  The vendor is encouraged to take advantage of the experience of  
this team in overall design, and their specific understanding of the  
needs of the IETF community.

This is an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract.   
While the IETF has a meeting schedule through 2013 (see http://www.ietf.org/meetings/0mtg-sites.txt) 
, it is uncertain which of these meetings will require vendor  
performance as the IETF permits Host companies to perform or arrange  
for network services for IETF Meetings.  Likewise there is uncertainty  
with regard to providing similar services for the Large Interim  
Meetings, which is is being held for the first time in January 2009.   
Should a decision be taken to contract for the network services for  
the IETF meetings, it may include:

a. IETF 74 at the Hilton San Francisco, March 22 – 27, 2009;

b. IETF 75 at the Convention Centre Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden July  
26 – 31, 2009; and a

c. Large Interim Meeting, at an undecided location in North America,  
at dates in 2009 that have not yet been chosen.

Future meetings could be added to this Master Agreement from time to  
time by a mutually signed Supplemental Agreement.

Specific quotes are requested for IETF 74 and IETF 75.

The following timeline may lead to contract award:

a. RFP Issued by email:  October 27, 2008.
b. RFP Response by email due no later than 5 PM ET on November 24, 2008.
c. Response Review Period:  November 25, 2008 to December 12, 2008.
d. Notification of selection:  December 19, 2008
e. Contract Negotiation and Agreement:  January 2, 2009 to January 19,  
2009.
f. Contract Signed and Accepted:  January 23, 2009.
g. Contract Commencement: February 1, 2009.

Questions regarding this RFP may be submitted via email to the IAD, [email-masked] 
, and technical matters may be passed onto subject experts for  
response.  Telephone conferences, when necessary to discuss logistical  
matters or technical matters, will be scheduled in advance via email.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director