Subject: 1st Time Attendee / WG Chair Meet-and-Greet in Minneapolis

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 21:27:07 -0800

WG Chairs,

First, thank you everyone for your thoughtful and considered input on  
the Meet-and-Greet idea. Since most of the feedback seemed to support  
this experiment, we are moving forward with a WG Chair & 1st Time  
Attendee gathering for Sunday, November 16th between 1600-1700, just  
prior to the official IETF Welcome Reception. While holding the Meet- 
and-Greet at the same time as the Document Lifecycle and Security  
tutorials isn't ideal, there aren't any other times that seem to work.  
If we decide that the Meet-and-Greet should be repeated at future  
meetings, we will try to find a time that does not conflict with the  
tutorials.

A couple of other details:

In order to make things simpler logistically, we will not hold the  
Meet-and-Greet in Salon D (where the Welcome Reception is taking  
place) but instead in another meeting room nearby.  As soon as we  
finalize the location, I will let all of you know.

We plan to offer all 1st Time Attendees a special badge banner that  
says "First Time Attendee" at check-in; however, we will not pre-affix  
the banner to the badge holder in case there are new attendees who  
would prefer to maintain their anonymity.

For the Meet-and-Greet, we will provide WG Chairs with a peel off  
stickie-label that you can place on your badge holder, over your  
official IETF badge. On this label you can write your name and the  
WG(s) you chair.  Then, after the Meet-n-Greet, you can peel it off  
and throw it away. In addition, we will be providing 1st timers with a  
printout that explains WG acronym, Chair, full WG name, Area it  
belongs to, etc.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.  
Otherwise, I'll be in touch with all of you soon with more information.

Regards,
Alexa

-----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 07:17:46 -0500

May I suggest also sending an e-mail directly to the first-timers  
before IETF so they know it would be really good if they arrived early?

On Nov 3, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Alexa Morris wrote:

> WG Chairs,
>
> First, thank you everyone for your thoughtful and considered input  
> on the Meet-and-Greet idea. Since most of the feedback seemed to  
> support this experiment, we are moving forward with a WG Chair & 1st  
> Time Attendee gathering for Sunday, November 16th between 1600-1700,  
> just prior to the official IETF Welcome Reception. While holding the  
> Meet-and-Greet at the same time as the Document Lifecycle and  
> Security tutorials isn't ideal, there aren't any other times that  
> seem to work. If we decide that the Meet-and-Greet should be  
> repeated at future meetings, we will try to find a time that does  
> not conflict with the tutorials.
>
> says "First Time Attendee" at check-in; however, we will not pre- 
> affix the banner to the badge holder in case there are new attendees  
> who would prefer to maintain their anonymity.
>
> and throw it away. In addition, we will be providing 1st timers with  
> a printout that explains WG acronym, Chair, full WG name, Area it  
> belongs to, etc.
>

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 07:03:55 -0800

Yes, we are planning to do so. We have created a 1st timers mailing  
list for purposes like this, and I will be sending them information  
about the Meet-and-Greet today.

Alexa
On Nov 3, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Eric Burger wrote:

>> support this experiment, we are moving forward with a WG Chair &  
>> 1st Time Attendee gathering for Sunday, November 16th between  
>> 1600-1700, just prior to the official IETF Welcome Reception. While  
>> holding the Meet-and-Greet at the same time as the Document  
>> Lifecycle and Security tutorials isn't ideal, there aren't any  
>> other times that seem to work. If we decide that the Meet-and-Greet  
>> should be repeated at future meetings, we will try to find a time  
>> that does not conflict with the tutorials.
>>
>> affix the banner to the badge holder in case there are new  
>> attendees who would prefer to maintain their anonymity.
>>
>> and throw it away. In addition, we will be providing 1st timers  
>> with a printout that explains WG acronym, Chair, full WG name, Area  
>> it belongs to, etc.
>>

-----------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:51:10 -0500

It is somewhat unfortunate that this will take place during the  
Document Lifecycle tutorial, which is recommended for newcomer's to  
learn about how documents are produced at the IETF.  If we decided to  
do this again in the future, we may want to do something to avoid that  
conflict.

Margaret