Subject: Re: Meet-and-Greet Between WG Chairs and 1st Time Attendees

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:35:36 +0200

On 29 okt 2008, at 18.01, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> - "First time attendee" dots - could the secretariat provide these?  
> - and
>
> - "willing to help" dots - we had these informally for a couple of  
> IETFs around Seoul from the EDU team, but this faded out - could the  
> secretariat provide these, upon request at registration?

I think this is a good idea that should be used regardless of whether  
this "early opening of food etc" happens or not. What I am worried  
about regarding the early opening of the food area is that wg chairs  
that have not met since previous IETF will talk more with each other  
than newcomers. I.e. it might make the situation worse.

    Patrik

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:37:47 +0200

On 30 okt 2008, at 10.02, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> I think the newcomers concept in RIPE has worked very well, and you  
> meet new and interesting people, as well as help them. I have to  
> admit that I think the IETF must be (it certainly was for me) more  
> overwhelming and complex to understand as a firsttimer than the RIPE  
> meeting is.

But still, look at RIPE program, it works!

    paf