Subject: rfc5378 "contribution"

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:24:20 -0800

Hi -

The discussion about RFC 5378 (what little I've been able to
understand of it, anyway) has focussed on I-Ds and RFCs.
However, the definition of "contribution" in that document
includes, among other things, mailing list discussions.

Does this mean that we need to get contributor permission
before using, for example, material from a pre-5378 RFC in
a mailing list discussion, or before including text from a
pre-5378 email posting in an internet draft?

This seems really silly, but that's what the discussion is
starting to sound like to me.

Randy

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:35:13 -0500

> pre-5378 email posting in an internet draft?

That is the plain meaning of the RFC as I read it.  What a lawyer
would tell you is perhaps a different matter.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:16:47 -0500

>starting to sound like to me.

I am not a lawyer, and one is probably needed to fully answer your 
question.  However, I think I can put some bounds on it.  But, I'd 
rather not have a parallel discussion bloom here.  Therefore, I'm 
asking you to ask this question on [email-masked].

Russ