Subject: Several ways you can publish I-Ds with pre 5378 content - TODAY

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:19:13 -0700

Method 1: (Not recommended)

Go read the BCP and Trust statement and edit your .txt to have the  
right text.

Method 2: (Recommended for people using word template)

Go look at a draft that did work, such as
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jennings-http-srv-01

And copy the Copyright Notice section into your draft

Method 3: XML2RFC approach recommended for folks that run xml2rfc  
locally

Get the very hacked version at
http://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/xml2rfc/1.34pre2-fluffy/xml2rfc.tcl

This will soon be obsoleted when the real xml2rfc tool gets updated.  
Don't worry, Julian, Bill, and Marshal are working on that. They will  
produce something much better than my hack of xml2rfc

Set the ipr attribute in the <rfc> element to ipr="pre5378Trust200902"  
and it will produce a txt file that id submission tool will accept.

Method 4: XML2RFC approach for folks that run xml2rfc on the web

Use the experimental version from http://xml.resource.org/experimental.html 
. You can download the zip or tgz file on this page or use the online  
version at this page.

Make sure you have

<?rfc strict="no" ?>
somewhere above the <rfc> element.
In the <rfc> element, set the ipr attribute to ipr="trust200811"
Change your abstract to use a note. Do this by changing
<abstract> <t> This draft is about ... </t> </abstract>
To
<note title="Abstract"><t> This draft is about ...</t> </note>
And before this not insert a note like
<note title=""> <t> This document may contain material from IETF  
Documents or IETF Contributions published or made publicly available  
before November 10, 2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in  
some of this material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to  
allow modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards  
Process. Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s)  
controlling the copyright in such materials, this document may not be  
modified outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of  
it may not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to  
format it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages  
other than English. </t> </note>

You can seen the XML for an example I-D that does this at
http://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/fluffy/example.xml

That should work - good luck