Subject: Question about ietf mailman

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:04:55 -0600

I got a message that was held because

Reason: Message has implicit destination

What does this mean?

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:08:12 -0400

It means that you bcc'ed the list.

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:20:42 -0400

W

-- On May 1, 2009 9:04:55 AM -0600 Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 
wrote regarding Question about ietf mailman --

> Reason: Message has implicit destination

What it means is the message does not have the list address in the To: 
or Cc: field of the message.

This is an option in Mailman and all IETF lists are configured to 
require the email address of the list in the To: or Cc: field.  There 
is also an option to specify "aliases" for the list address for those 
lists that are migrated from elsewhere and are having messages 
forwarded.

The use of this option is helpful in identifying SPAM and shouldn't 
ordinarily be a problem, unless you have people that like to Bcc the 
list with messages.

Jim

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 10:25:18 -0500

> Reason: Message has implicit destination

I Bcc'd a WG list recently to prevent a response storm cacading
across many lists.  On a Bcc, I got the above message from the
mailman manager responsible for that list.  I think it has to do
with whether or not the list destination is specified in To: or
the Cc:  If it is specified in neither, you will get this warning.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:46:33 -0600

makes sense - thanks.