Subject: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:28:24 -0400

To quote from Wikipedia: "Most national laws of the People's Republic
of China do not apply to the Special Administrative Regions of Hong
Kong or Macau. There are no known cases of the Chinese authorities
censoring critical political or religious [Internet] content in those
territories."

I am opposed to the IETF meeting in China except in Hong Kong or
Macau. While one could argue endlessly about how likely such IETF
documents as RFC 1984 and RFC 2804 or such politically and culturally
sensitive issues as language tags, "internationalization" of
protocols, issuance of advice/requests to international authorities in
reference to country codes, etc., will be a problem, it seems to me
that the risk is too great.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    > From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
>
>    > Has the SAR (Hong Kong) been considered?
>
> Excellent idea. Does HK have the same 'Great Firewall of China' issues
> (which I would assume would be a fairly significant problem for many
> IETF members)?
>
>        Noel
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>