Subject: audio recordings of last meeting

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:41:19 +0100

Dear all,

I used to fix unclear or missing parts of the WG session minutes
by checking the audio recordings. Now, with the new structure of
the web pages I can't find anymore the audio recordings of the
last meeting in Hiroshima. (All older ones are available in the
audio archives folder.)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

    Juergen

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:43:47 -0500

Hi Juergen,

I had similar problmes. I think they move the links way too soon,
assuming work associated with the meeting is concluded. That is
obviously not true for chairs et al.

In your old link, change ietfXX in the URL to ietf76.
(or if your old link has something in /72/ format, change that)
http://limestone.uoregon.edu/ftp/pub/videolab/media/ietf76/

As always it is done by channel.
I wish the archive page gave us the channel-to-room mapping. I suspect
somebody already knows what physical room the physical microphones had
been put into. I had to listen to each channel and compare it to an
agenda to try to figure this out the hard way.

These apparently are the channel to room mappings

channel	room
1	acacia east
2	acacia west
3	camellia
4	cattleya east
5	cattleya west
6	orchid east
7	orchid center
8	orchid west

The agenda has the room to WG session mappings.
The agenda for ietf76 can be found by selecting "Past Meetings" in the
left frame of the ietf.org main page, and then "ietf76"
this will give you the ietf page that was posted before ietf76, with 
the links to the Agenda, BoFs, tutorials, meeting materials, Jabber
sessions, audio recordings, etc.
(The audio recordings link doesn't work because that points to the
live feed; the URL above points to the archives)

I also check the minutes taken against the audio archives. I wanted to
download some audio archives so I could listen to them on my mp3
player while on the 12 hour plane ride home, but couldn't find them in
time on the new ietf web site. I really wish they would not move the
links off the main page until two or three weeks after a meeting ends.

Just to be clear, I think the audio archives are a valuable service
and I thank those who setup all the equipment and provide archive
storage. I also thank those who are working to make the ietf web pages
better. 

I think the two recommendations (provide a channel-to-room mapping,
and keep the links around longer) would make these features more
useful to the WG chairs, and other people who use them.

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen Quittek
> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:41 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: audio recordings of last meeting
> 
> Dear all,
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:54:18 +0100

> useful to the WG chairs, and other people who use them.

As a workaround until perhaps the tools people have created a nice
solution, I did include the URL for the audio stream of the ISMS
meeting in the meeting minutes. This way only one person had to figure
out the right location of the audio recording and it is recorded
nicely where the minutes are.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 07:00:31 -0500

Good point.

I also try to include the time within the recording for the start of
the meeting, since the mikes are enabled much earlier than the meeting
actually starts, especially for morning sessions. That way only one
person has to listen to the dead air time to find the starting point.

dbh

> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 6:54 AM
> To: David Harrington
> Cc: 'Juergen Quittek'; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: audio recordings of last meeting
>

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:46:31 -0600

> nicely where the minutes are.

What I have been doing for ALTO (WG that I co-chair) and
SIPCORE and DISPATCH (WGs I am involved in) is to splice
the audio file and put links to the discrete pieces
corresponding to the agenda item under discussion (see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/trac/wiki/Ietf76 for
an example.)

But this is a manual process and takes time, although
I have developed heuristics to minimize the time.  I wish I
had the time to write a tool to do this, but it is on the
list of things to do.

Before the Hiroshima IETF, I had a brief email chat with
IETF administration on how I do this, but there has not been
any follow-up since then.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:52:44 -0800

> 8	orchid west

That's accurate, they were in strict alphabetical order until someone
renamed orchid middle to orchid center...