Subject: Background on IETF 79 Decision

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:40:20 +0900

Earlier today the IAOC announced its decision to hold IETF 79 in  
Beijing China.  This email is intended to provide some background  
concerning that decision.

During the course of contract negotiations with the hotel the  
community was asked via email lists and by survey about a specific  
provision in the contract.  Your feedback guided us in our efforts.   
We are happy to report that the provision has been removed from the  
contract.

Minutes are forthcoming, however the text of the motion that the IAOC  
passed unanimously by a roll call vote is below.

In response to concerns that the discussion of some IETF topics may  
violate the law, the IAOC has been assured by the Host that a normal  
IETF meeting can be legally held in China and that no pre-screening of  
material or monitoring of session content is required or will be done.

The IAOC is confident that a successful IETF meeting can (and will) be  
held in Beijing; that it will be run in the fashion that it always  
has, using the tools that it always has, discussing the usual topics,  
and with a critical mass of the traditional participants.

We are looking forward to the IETF's first meeting in the People's  
Republic of China.

Bob Hinden
IAOC Chair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

IETF 79 Beijing Venue Motion Adopted by IAOC 29 October 2009

Whereas the Shangri-La Beijing Hotel is able to provide qualified  
meeting space, technical infrastructure, and guest rooms under one  
roof for IETF 79,

Whereas the costs for guest rooms, meeting space, and food and  
beverage are judged reasonable,

Whereas the Special Agreements provision of the Hotel contract that  
had been the subject of a community survey and on IETF lists has been  
removed and thus the objection of many to onsite participation,

Whereas the Host has negotiated a contract with the Venue under terms  
and conditions that are now acceptable

Whereas the Host has assured the IAOC that 'a normal IETF meeting can  
be legally held in China and that no pre-screening of material or  
monitoring of session content is required or will be done,'

Whereas the IAOC, based on the assurances of the Host and a history of  
the venue successfully hosting major international conferences that  
relate to our industry, believes a normal IETF meeting can be held at  
the venue.

Whereas the IAOC heard all arguments made on the list, and made its  
determination on the ability to hold a successful meeting i.e. run it  
in a fashion as we always have, using the tools that we always have,  
with a critical mass of the traditional participants, discussing the  
usual topics.

Whereas the Meetings Subcommittee has recommended the approval of the  
Hotel contract by the IAOC,

Resolved that because the special provisions in the hotel contract  
have been removed and the IAOC has received assurances from the host  
that it can hold a normal IETF meeting as described above, the IAOC  
approves the venue contract between the Host and the Hotel and  
authorizes the Host to execute the contract with the Hotel, and

Further, that the IAOC approves Beijing, China as the site for IETF 79  
in November 2010 upon the execution of the venue contract and an  
Agreement between the Internet Society and the Host regarding the  
responsibilities and roles of the Internet Society under the hotel  
contract.

-------------------------------------------------------------------