Subject: Announcement of the new Trust Legal Provisions (TLP 4.0)

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:22:26 -0500

Season's Greetings!

This message is to announce that the IETF Trustees have adopted
on a new version of the Trust Legal Provisions (TLP), to be effective 28
December, 2009. The Grace period for old-boilerplate will begin on  
that date,
and last through 1 February, 2010.

The new document updating the Trust Legal Provisions is available in  
PDF and HTML formats from

http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html

and the PDF version is available directly at

http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf .

Please note that this URL always points to the current TLP. A
stable URI for the TLP effective 28 December, 2009 is

http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy-20091228.pdf  .

The new document updating the Trust Legal Provisions was approved by the
Trustees after a consideration of "last call" comments in a telechat on
December 17, 2009, subject to there being no further substantive  
public comments.

Informally, this version has been referred to as "TLP Version 4.0."
The requests for comments for this change were issued on November 25,  
2009
4:34:48 PM EST in a message entitled "Request for comments on proposed  
changes
to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)." An editorial change to this  
document
was proposed on December 7, 2009, 4:23:24 PM EST in a message entitled  
"Proposed
Editorial Change to the Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents  
(TLP)."

The Trustees would like to thank everyone who participated in the  
vigorous
discussion about these changes.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks
Chair / IETF Trust

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:02:08 -0500

>>>>> "Julian" == Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> writes:

    Julian> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
    >> ...  This message is to announce that the IETF Trustees have
    >> adopted on a new version of the Trust Legal Provisions (TLP), to
    >> be effective 28 December, 2009. The Grace period for
    >> old-boilerplate will begin on that date, and last through 1
    >> February, 2010.  ...

    Julian> So, unless xml2rfc gets updated in time, people using that
    Julian> tool won't be able to submit Internet Drafts after February
    Julian> 1 without additional post-processing? Why the early cut-over
    Julian> date, compared to the last change (which had a 2+ month
    Julian> transition period)????

I'd like to take this a step further: why do we need to update our
boiler plate at all?  It's my understanding that the incoming rights
have not been changed at all here; that should and I think does require
a BCP.

The trust is updating what rights they give others outside the IETF
process.  I guess Ic can see why that might affect the boiler plate the
RFC editor uses.  However, I don't understand why I as an internet draft
author should have to join the boiler plate of the month club.  I
thought one reason we set up the inbound vs outbound split was to avoid
exactly this sort of mess.

--Sam

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:00:58 -0500

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> ...
>> ...
> So, unless xml2rfc gets updated in time, people using that tool  
> won't be able to submit Internet Drafts after February 1 without  
> additional post-processing? Why the early cut-over date, compared to  
> the last change (which had a 2+ month transition period)????
>

Because it was the date you suggested in your email December 2, 2009  
10:00:47 AM EST :

>
> For rfc2629.xslt, the answer is "I'd prefer not to". The reason  
> being that cutover dates on day 1 of a month will be much easier to  
> maintain in the long term, and also I'd like to see all boilerplate  
> related changes (see draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-08)  
> being done at the same time. So for rfc2629.xslt, I'd potentially  
> support a cutover date for *both* on Feb 01.

If we need more time, we can certainly do this, however I raised this  
issue with the tools team a month ago and February 1 was the latest  
date suggested.

Regards
Marshall

> Best regards, Julian