Subject: SpamAssassin

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:41:38 -0800

Good morning:

As some of you may know, there was a problem in SpamAssassin that was
causing mail that was legitimate to be incorrectly tagged as spam.

This problem exists globally, in all SpamAssassin installations worldwide,
and doubtless will take days or longer for every IT department in the world
to notice, research, figure out and fix.

Until every SpamAssassin installtion in a user's chain of email is fixed,
some email will continue to be incorrectly tagged as Spam.

However, THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED AT AMS, and was fixed as of January 1.

The problem in question surrounded a specific rule: FH_DATE_PAST_20XX . As
you can see from the name of the rule, it is only supposed to hit email
that was dated past 2099.  However, it turns out that the rule was hitting
all email past 2009.  Because the rule had a base score of 20, which is 
well above the threshhold of 5 used by the IETF lists, almost every email
sent was being tagged as Spam.

What I did, on January 1, in the late evening, was to apply a new score rule:

SCORE FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0

This effectively "disabled" that rule, so that 2010 mail would no longer be
tagged as Spam.

This morning, I have received a few reports that some mail is still being 
tagged as Spam.  Some of this is doubtless cascade effect, however, I do see 
that some messages from some users are scoring a bit high on the spam system.

Therefore as an extra step, I have reset the auto-whitelist and bayesian
filter control files.  That was done as of just about 15 minutes ago
(09:24 Pacific Standard Time, which I think is 1724GMT).  

If anyone continues to have problems beyond this time, it would be really
helpful if the message could be HELD in the moderation queue so I can see it.
You can email me directly at [email-masked] - that will ensure you get priority 
handling, rather than going through the ticketing system.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Glen