Subject: wrt httpstate session audio IETF-77 Anaheim

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:24:41 -0700

Ok, so I found <http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf777.m3u>  in 
various links on the tools.ietf.org pages, but that (if it were working) is the 
compendium of all the sessions that occurred in the room we were in (Palos 
Verdes) ?

And yeah, I can't get that link to stream back any audio to me.

Apres meeting, are the audio tracks chopped up into their individual sessions 
or left as just big week-long-per-room audio tracks?

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jaeggli-ietf-streaming-media-status-00> 
implies that it is left in monolithic state.

thanks,

=JeffH

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 08:40:23 -0500

On 04/05/2010 06:24 PM, =JeffH wrote:
> Apres meeting, are the audio tracks chopped up into their individual
> sessions or left as just big week-long-per-room audio tracks?

Funny you should ask since I have been having this discussion
with the outgoing RAI AD for a while and the incoming APPS AD
much recently.

The audio tracks are simply maintained as a big MP3 file
corresponding to the specific WG/RG/BoF meeting in that
room at the specific time.

What I have been doing for the last few IETFs is chopping up the
audio stream into its individual components for the WG I co-chair
(ALTO) and the ones I do most of my work in (DISPATCH, SIPCORE).
These spliced audio files are merged into the minutes and slides
to present a cohesive summary to the attendees.

For an example, take a look at the latest ALTO minutes
(see http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/10mar/minutes/alto.html)
or the latest SIPCORE minutes (see
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/10mar/minutes/sipcore.html).

I have a script that is not quite ready for prime-time yet
(will be soon), but it renders the act of creating the
spliced files almost automatic.  You do have to provide it
some input, though.

The script needs the start and stop times for each agenda item being
discussed during the working group meeting.  Given this piece of
information, it will chug through the raw (and large) audio file
and splice it into its individual constituents.  The Jabber
scribe -- or more appropriately, one of the chairs -- needs to
meticulously note the start and stop time for each agenda item
and provide that to me.  If they do so, it is a simple matter of
running the script.

What the automated script cannot do right now is to splice a media
stream that spanned two recordings (i.e., a working group goes so
long that there are two raw mp3 files representing the working
group's time slot, and a specific working group item spanned the
two recorded mp3 files.)  For this degenerate case, I do the
splicing manually; but thankfully, this particular occurrence
happens once in a blue moon.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:09:18 -0400

Hi,

The audio archives are broken into files that identify the channel
(which is associated with a specific room), and a session time (monday
am, for example). 

I have requested that the channel-room mapping be published; I have
not yet determined if that was done for ietf77. In Hiroshima, the
channels were assigned to the rooms in alphabetical order; that
heuristic might help you find your sessions faster.

Some chairs already review the audio archives for their session to
help make sure the notes are complete and accurate, and put a URL to
the archive file into their minutes, and note the time offset into the
archive for the start of the session.

Some go further, and provide offsets for the start of specific agenda
items, or discussions that are contained in the minutes. Vijay, I
encourage you to continue refining your scripts and making them
available.

The audio archiving has been a volunteer effort. As more WG chairs
find the archives useful, and make recommendations or develop their
own scripts, I expect more tools will emerge to improve the ease of
use of these archives.

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Vijay K. Gurbani
> Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:40 AM
> To: IETF Working Group Chairs
> Subject: Re: wrt httpstate session audio IETF-77 Anaheim
>

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:13:25 -0500

> encourage you to continue refining your scripts and making them

David: Yes, I intend to.  I am trying to get them ready by Maastricht,
and if I end up attending the whole week there, I can give a quick
demonstration during the WG chairs lunch.

Thanks,

- vijay

---

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:56:58 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF Working Group Chairs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: wrt httpstate session audio IETF-77 Anaheim

> (ALTO) and the ones I do most of my work in (DISPATCH, SIPCORE).

if ietf can chopping up the  audio stream into its individual components for every WG, that will be fine for every listener.

Jiankang Yao

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:25:47 -0400

On 4/6/2010 8:56 PM, YAO Jiankang wrote:
> From: "Vijay K. Gurbani"<[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF Working Group Chairs"<[email-masked]>

Sounds like we have a volunteer... I can provide upload access to my 
copy of the repository for anyone who is inclined to engage in 
post-production.