Subject: Re: WebEX in WG Sessions

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:55:52 -0400

--On Tuesday, April 13, 2010 03:11:38 PM -0600 Cullen Jennings 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> 3) This was the big value prop of using webex. In my mind it has not
> worked and we should be careful about expanding webex use until a
> solution is found that works. The issues of room echo and echo
> cancelation have not yet been solved in the way we are using webex. How
> we do floor control is not really been figured out yet. Currently remote
> people that want to participate have better luck just using the jabber
> channel and having someone read their question at the mic. When that
> beats your audio solution, you know the audio solution needs some work.

[Cullen, I know you know some of this, but not everyone does...]

In no small part, this is why a trained volunteer is needed.  The 
arrangement that has been used to bring WebEx into IETF meetings is 
(necessarily) somewhat complicated.  There are several interdependent level 
adjustments involved, some of which I was surprised to find available.  It 
is possible to get good levels for the webex participants into the physical 
room, the in-room participants into webex, and both into the audio 
recording, all while avoiding feedback and most of the echo (though less so 
in large rooms, as Cullen has explained), but doing so requires knowing how 
the system works and what the available adjustments do.  Having some 
advance time to check everything out doesn't hurt, either.  Unfortunately, 
while many WG's want to support remote participation, most don't have 
anyone who knows anything about sound or the specific arrangements at IETF. 
Hence the need for some training.

-- Jeff