Subject: WebEx and Remote Presentations

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:50:21 -0400

Dear WG Chairs:

WebEx has proven a very useful tool for interim virtual meetings, and we
will continue to make WebEx available for this purpose.

The IETF has tried a WebEx experiment for remote presentations at IETF
meetings.  For the most part, this experiment has been a failure.  Too
much time is spent getting WebEx and the room audio system to cooperate.
 And, when it does not, there can be loud obnoxious disruptive noises.
As a result of this situation, the IESG has decided to limit the WebEx
offering at IETF meetings to outbound audio and slides.  If a presenter
is unable to attend a meeting, they will have to arrange for someone
else to make their presentation.  They can listen on streaming audio or
WebEx, and they can help answer questions in jabber.

The IESG is willing to consider the remote presenter experiment again in
the future if there is evidence that the outcome might be different.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley
  IETF Chair