Subject: Re: New discussion of WG documents in the Tao

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:44:50 -0700

On 5/26/2010 9:37 AM, Tony Li wrote:
>
>
>
>> Assuming that the list agreed with the room, then no, the chair does not
>> have that right.
>
> Agree in general, but there have to be some bounds.  If the WG has agreed on
> something that clearly violates process, law, or morality, then the chair
> should step in.
>
> Chairs also have a responsibility to ensure that the WG is operating within
> its boundaries.  When that conflicts with the will of the WG, the WG might
> be in the wrong.

AFAICT, that implies that the chair (and AD) can veto some emerging 
consensus, or call for additional discussion and recheck consensus, but 
at best all this can result in would be NOT taking on a WG item.

I don't see how the chair can use that power to take an item on. (NB: 
such has occurred in the past, e.g., when an item was take on by a WG by 
IESG edict, but that should *never* happen, and AFAICT this was admitted 
as a mistake of process).

Joe