Subject: IETF78 audio file location?

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:14:23 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I know we went round and round about this shortly after the meeting, and 
at that time, the audio files were in transit (literally in flight, IIRC) 
with an archive system failure and such complicating matters.

But I'd really like to check the audio files of my meeting and I'd really 
like to download that audio file today.  (Going to be traveling in a few 
hours.)  And I've not been successful in doing so.

The IETF78 proceedings link 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/78/materials.html is not the same 
format as previous proceedings and does not have a pointer to the audio 
stream.

Hoping for symmetry I tried the IETF77 proceedings.  The audio stream link 
there points to .... the IETF78 audio stream page 
(http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/).  (Good for me, not so good for 
those hoping to find IETF77 audio.)

The IETF78 audio stream page points to: http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/78/

The tools agenda page points to:
http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf788.m3u

That file contains:

http://nagasaki.bogus.com:8000/ietf788.mp3

And that link replies:

The file you requested could not be found.

There may indeed be a way to find the audio file, but this seems like a 
reasonable point at which to ask for help.

--Sandy

P.S.  Is it just me or is a host name in the bogus.com domain for a 
proceedings just a little off-putting?  Couldn't we at least cname it?

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:26:55 -0700

Please check http://www.ietf.org/audio/

It would of course be nice if links were updated...

Stig

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:29:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Sandy

I found the raw streams on:

   http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf78/

though the filenames are not always correct. The creation dates will give 
you a hint which day it was recorded!

Good luck!

cheers,
  Bernie

--

http://ucom.ch/
Tech Consulting for Internet Standardization

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Sandra Murphy wrote:

> I know we went round and round about this shortly after the meeting, and at 
> that time, the audio files were in transit (literally in flight, IIRC) with 
> an archive system failure and such complicating matters.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/78/materials.html is not the same format 
> as previous proceedings and does not have a pointer to the audio stream.
>

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:40:51 -0700

this  message doesn't state what meeting you're actually looking for.

beyond that it sounds like you're volunteering to do some work to make
this better, that's good because I have no time right now.

joel

On 8/20/10 10:14 AM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> at that time, the audio files were in transit (literally in flight,
> IIRC) with an archive system failure and such complicating matters.
> 
> But I'd really like to check the audio files of my meeting and I'd
> really like to download that audio file today.  (Going to be traveling
> in a few hours.)  And I've not been successful in doing so.
> 
> Hoping for symmetry I tried the IETF77 proceedings.  The audio stream
> link there points to .... the IETF78 audio stream page
> (http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/).  (Good for me, not so good
> for those hoping to find IETF77 audio.)
>

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:24:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Looking for IETF78.  That looks obvious below, so maybe you mean wg 
session - I'm looking for sidr.

I didn't intend to sound like I was volunteering.  I understand this very 
useful feature is a volunteer effort.  I don't think it should be.  The 
proceedings are part of the Secretariat/IAOC/whatever contract, are they 
not?  If the audio is part of the proceedings it should be supported under 
that contract.

Please note previous discussion on the wgchair list about minutes, relying 
on audio to pick up the details, etc.  If the audio support is a volunteer 
effort, including archives, minutes should not rely on the audio being 
there.  It is just too much to expect of our volunteers.

--Sandy

P.S.  My comments about bogus.com should not be taken as a personal 
criticism.  I know the personal effort that presently goes into IETF 
meetings (Maastricht serving as a prime example) and recognize the way 
personal details make appearances.

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:45:50 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Thanks very much!  Yes, I've got it now.

And to make my embarrassment complete, a search through the ietf site 
shows that this link was mentioned in the meeting packet.

My slides at the beginning of each meeting will henceforth point to the 
archive site.

--Sandy

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:46:47 -0500

>session - I'm looking for sidr.

When was sidr, and which room was it in?

I just listed to TSVWG's audio, which was in auditorium 2 on thursday 
morning and found the file right away at

Now, I did notice some of the files are missing (but not many at all).

James

>I didn't intend to sound like I was volunteering.  I understand this 
>very useful feature is a volunteer effort.  I don't think it should 
>be.  The proceedings are part of the Secretariat/IAOC/whatever 
>contract, are they not?  If the audio is part of the proceedings it 
>should be supported under that contract.
>
>Please note previous discussion on the wgchair list about minutes, 
>relying on audio to pick up the details, etc.  If the audio support 
>is a volunteer effort, including archives, minutes should not rely 
>on the audio being there.  It is just too much to expect of our volunteers.
>
>--Sandy
>
>meetings (Maastricht serving as a prime example) and recognize the 
>way personal details make appearances.
>

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:01:36 -0700

> session - I'm looking for sidr.

yeah ok, channel 8 on wed afternoon appears that it would be:

http://www.ietf.org/audio/ietf78/ietf78-ch8-wed-noon.mp3

and I hear rob and yourself on there so it's seems likely that's the
right one.

> very useful feature is a volunteer effort.  I don't think it should be. 
> The proceedings are part of the Secretariat/IAOC/whatever contract, are
> they not?  If the audio is part of the proceedings it should be
> supported under that contract.

it's my opinion having done it a few times during the video era that the
onerousness of post production has to be experienced to be believed,
with the understanding therefore that any improvement in the outcome
needs to be front-end loaded not bolted on as a post meeting process.

refering back to my 2008  now expired draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jaeggli-ietf-streaming-media-status-00

there are essentially three potential sets of constiutents and the
remote participation activity was the one which we built the service as
it runs today around.

   There are essentially three sets potential consituents for the
   streaming/recording of IETF meetings.  Participants local to the IETF
   monitor the activities of other working groups, remote participants
   monitor working groups in which they have an interest, and finally
   users of the archive, either for timeshifting purposes or for
   purposes of historical couriosity.  To the extent that all three
   groups were being served poorly by the the pre-62 service, our goals
   in providing a new service included increasing the usability for all
   three groups.

> relying on audio to pick up the details, etc.  If the audio support is a
> volunteer effort, including archives, minutes should not rely on the
> audio being there.  It is just too much to expect of our volunteers.
> 
> --Sandy
>

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:01:31 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Stig's pointer worked for me.  sidr was Wed afternoon, and the file name 
was ietf78-ch8-wed-noon.mp3.  I guessed the channel from the tools agenda
site's naming.  (I think there was a channel<->room map at some 
point/place, but the guess worked for me.)  Some days have a "noon" file, 
some days have a "afnoon" file.

--Sandy

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, James M. Polk wrote:

>> Looking for IETF78.  That looks obvious below, so maybe you mean wg session 
>> - I'm looking for sidr.
>
> I just listed to TSVWG's audio, which was in auditorium 2 on thursday morning 
> and found the file right away at
>

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:06:02 -0700

On 8/20/10 12:01 PM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> point/place, but the guess worked for me.)  Some days have a "noon"
> file, some days have a "afnoon" file.

the distintion is based on whether it's feasible to split the recordings
between sessions, which is a manual activity, when it's one hour
sessions with rather short breaks, and working groups that run through
or over you get one file instead of two... The software that does this
also won't overwrite it's own files so if the recorder restarted, or the
file wasn't renamed then the subsequent recording will have a .1
appended then .2 etc.

>>> is a volunteer effort, including archives, minutes should not rely on
>>> the audio being there.  It is just too much to expect of our volunteers.
>>>
>>> --Sandy
>>>