Subject: RE: How to find the audio stream for the WG meeting?

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:22:07 -0000

Hi,

Two hueristics to try to determine this.

1) channel #s are normally assigned in alphabetic order of the room
names. The rooms in Maastricht are numbered, so channels appear to
have been assigned by the numbers:
I believe this is the channel breakout:
ch1	0.1 London
ch2	0.2 Berlin
ch3	0.4 Brussels
ch4	0.8 Rome
ch5	0.9 Athens
ch6	2.1 Colorado
ch7 	Auditorium 1
ch8	Auditorium 2

2) It appears that the channel is now encoded in the audio link.
If you go to http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/78/. 
Find your session in the tools agenda, and hold the mouse over the
link to audio.
The decade live audio link is
http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf782.mpu
The number at the end of the link identifies the channel (decade was
in 0.2 Berlin - channel 2)
The link is to the live audio; You need the archive version.

The archives can be found at http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf78/
The mp3s are broken out by channel and time.
decade should be ch2-tue-am.mp3

Hope this helps,
David Harrington
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Haibin Song
> Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 4:49 PM
> To: 'WG Chairs'
> Subject: How to find the audio stream for the WG meeting?
> 
> I just found the link in the working group agenda page does 
> not work. And there are audio achieves in 
> http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/, but I don't know 
> which channel should I download.
> 
> BR,
> Haibin
>

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:36:44 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Let me be the first to say: Ouch.

We need a better mechanism for encoding the archive file name.  We need a
better data model.  Something.

Also.  Long ago archives were on the videolab site.  Then I noticed in the 
last few meetings or so that they were included in the ietf proceedings. 
But I didn't recall the "bogus.com" site.  (What a name for an archive 
site!) So I went checking previous proceedings and found that the audio 
stream link on each proceedings (ietf77, ietf76, etc) gets various errors:

ietf77: points to the latest videolab page for ietf78
which points to http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf78/. Trying
http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf77 instead finds the archived audio.

ietf76, ietf75, ietf74: points to the latest videolab page for ietf78 
which points to http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf78/. Trying 
http://nagasaki.bogus.com/ietf76 (or ietf75 or ietf74) gets a "requested 
URL not found" error.

ietf73, ietf72, ietf71: the audio stream link gets a "550 
/pub/videolab/media/ietf73/: No such file" error. (or .../ietf72 or ... 
you get the idea).

ietf70 has no "audio stream" link on the proceedings page, but there is a 
link on the meeting page http://www.ietf.org/meeting/70/ to the audio at 
http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf70.html which points to the 
ftp site for archive - but those are the files causing the "550 No such 
file" error noted before.

I haven't checked around very much to see if there are other links that 
work, but so far all the links I've found to old proceedings have failed.

This matters, because there are people (e.g., in my wg) that would like 
minutes that record only consensus and action items, not debate (you 
recall this list's discussion of minutes taking), with the claim that 
anyone who wants the details can go to the audio.

--Sandy

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:04:17 -0700

understand that while I think a lot could be done to improve the
situation with the archives, the reason that the videolab archive is
down and the 78 archive is on my personal machine is that the videolab
box has a disk array that's down and I need to reboot it to clear the
error, but I'd prefer to do that while remote hands are present.

The U of O and the NSRC have been rather generous in hosting this thing
for more than a decade but it's an aging piece of infrastrucutre.

On 8/4/10 11:36 AM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> Also.  Long ago archives were on the videolab site.  Then I noticed in
> the last few meetings or so that they were included in the ietf
> proceedings. But I didn't recall the "bogus.com" site.  (What a name for
> an archive site!) So I went checking previous proceedings and found that
> the audio stream link on each proceedings (ietf77, ietf76, etc) gets
> various errors:
> 
> ietf70 has no "audio stream" link on the proceedings page, but there is
> a link on the meeting page http://www.ietf.org/meeting/70/ to the audio
> at http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf70.html which points to
> the ftp site for archive - but those are the files causing the "550 No
> such file" error noted before.
>

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:17:11 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I appreciate the work that you and UofOregon folk have done to give us 
the audio files - in meeting and post meeting both.  The fact that they 
are valuable is what's leading to these questions.  Kind of a case of 
past performance leading to future expectations. :-)

I asked the ietf staff not long ago whether the audio stream is considered 
a supported part of the ietf proceedings, just as likely to be accessible 
in the future as the slides, minutes, etc.  I thought the answer was that 
yes, it is.

But that doesn't jibe well with links that point to the wrong places etc.

I had made it a practice in the past to download the audio file for 
sessions that interested me, on the grounds that I could not be sure 
whether they would be available when I needed them.  The answer I got 
indicated I didn't need to do that anymore.  The results described below 
says that I should keep on downloading (and maybe should have kept on 
downloading).

I just need to know.

Will they be somewhere, if so where, how to find them, etc.

Should I be directing the question to ietf-action? iaoc?

--Sandy