Subject: Re: Conference spam

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:07:09 -0800

We moderate the non-subscribers.

Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]> wrote:

>How do other chairs do with the ubiquitous calls for papers to various conferences, often pertaining to topics that have *nothing* to do with the WG?
>
>Regards,
>
>
>--
>Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/
>
>
>
>

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:52:08 -0500

>> How do other chairs do with the ubiquitous calls for papers to various conferences,
>> often pertaining to topics that have *nothing* to do with the WG?
>

It might not help, Mark, that your mailing list is at w3c.org, rather
than at ietf.org.  I'm guessing you might even get more of those sorts
of things over there.

The moderation can be a pain at times, but it's effective.

Barry

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:58:51 +1100

Yep. *sigh*.

Thanks,

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:58:02 +0100

Noone has mentioned criteria for acceptance. I expect posters to show the relationship to advancing at least one of the milestones of the working group.

As regards persistent posters, sometimes they do respond to requests to wg email lists from their bulk mailing lists.

Regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark Nottingham
Sent: 26 January 2011 02:59
To: Barry Leiba
Cc: WG Chairs
Subject: Re: Conference spam

Yep. *sigh*.

Thanks,

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:28:46 -0500

> Noone has mentioned criteria for acceptance. I expect posters to show the relationship
> to advancing at least one of the milestones of the working group.

I'm a little more flexible: a clear connection to the work of the
group, even if it doesn't address a specific milestone, is sufficient
for me.  But I do require that they ask a chair before they post.
Just blasting off a post without asking is a sure way to get me to
reject it in the moderation queue, however closely related to the WG
it is.

> lists from their bulk mailing lists.

Missing word, apparently:  "requests to REMOVE wg email lists".  Yes,
it's worth asking them.

Barry