Subject: "Working Group Chair Notes" on WG I-D submissions

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:02:06 -0400

There have often been times when I've coordinated with document
editors on their draft update submissions, so that I could post a
message to the mailing list either immediately before or immediately
after a new draft version is submitted.  Sometimes it's an explanation
of why a new version was posted just then, sometimes a request for
review of a specific section of the new version, sometimes a note that
the document is going into WGLC with this revision, sometimes an
admonition that with this version a certain topic is now out of scope
for further discussion.  I'm sure other chairs have other reasons, as
well.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a way for chairs to put in "Working
Group Chair Notes" against a WG document, which notes would
automatically be included in the next update note sent out?  That way,
tight coordination wouldn't be necessary: I could prep the note and
post it, and when the editors submitted the revision my notes would
show up in the notice that gets posted to the mailing list.

Would other chairs like this?  Should we be suggesting it "officially"?

Barry, who chairs four working group and would LOVE this.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:29:54 +0200

> post a
> after a new draft version is submitted. 

+1

(Sometimes I'd even like the presence of such a message to be a precondition for a new version being submitted...)

Gruesse, Carsten