Subject: Opening BCP 79 (was: Re: encouraging compliance with IPR disclosure rules)

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:09:59 -0400

--On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:46 -0400 Marshall Eubanks
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Tim and I would welcome feedback from WG chairs regarding
>> this draft.
>> 
>> 
> It is my understanding that a revision of BCP 79 is just
> beginning; I suspect that this effort should be folded into
> that.

Marshall,

I heard one hint of interest in this in Quebec.  While I
certainly believe that BCP 79 and its penumbra could use some
work, I've seen nothing resembling an announcement of a BOF,
proposed WG, of other open and public process for doing so.
Since developing a proposed revision in private and then
presenting it to the community would, IMO at least, lie
seriously outside the charter of the IETF Trust, I assume that
isn't happening.

So, could you share what causes you to believe that such a
revision effort has begun?

    john