Subject: FW: Gordon Biersch for Wednesday evening ?

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:21:30 +0800

Hi Stig,
 
This question from one of my chairs points out that not all new chairs
necessarily understand the WG Chairs' beer evening.
 
You seem to be leading for the past few IETFs.
Can you post a notice explaining the purpose (and maybe the history)?
Of course, it would be good to focus on the cross-area and cross-wg
fertilization original purpose rather than the drinking aspects.
I have noticed that in Prague there was very little talk across
different tables, and not much attendance in Quebec.
 
Maybe the IETF should try doing this "WG chair social" internally
again, with beer and snacks available in an IETF room, rather than in
a brew pub.
 
dbh

  _____  

From: Francois Le Faucheur [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 7:57 PM
To: David Harrington
Cc: Francois Le Faucheur
Subject: Re: Gordon Biersch for Wednesday evening ?

Hi David, 

I am guessing this is for a get-together of all the WG chairs. Right?
Tx

Francois

On 14 Nov 2011, at 16:16, David Harrington wrote:

you should chnage the subject if you're changing the place, so the
subject doesn't mislead ;-)

dbh

-----Original Message-----

From: [email-masked]

[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 3:35 PM

To: Stig Venaas

Cc: Working Group Chairs

Subject: Re: Gordon Biersch for Wednesday evening ?

Try google maps and search for "金色三麥, taipei". You should see

a restaurant called "spice market" on the map where this is. It's

about 2 blocks NE of Hyatt, right south of City Hall.

Disclaimer, I haven't been there, and I'm trusting google maps...

Cool... looks good.

All: Shall we go there, Le Ble d'Or, on Wednesday?

Barry

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:43:03 +0800

is it, indeed, still GB?

What time?

d/

ps.  Given that I live in Silicon Valley and have GB's surrounding me (the 
original is in Palo Alto) the idea of going to one in Taipei is discomfiting, 
but what the heck...

On 11/15/2011 8:21 AM, David Harrington wrote:
> I have noticed that in Prague there was very little talk across different
> tables, and not much attendance in Quebec.
> Maybe the IETF should try doing this "WG chair social" internally again, with
> beer and snacks available in an IETF room, rather than in a brew pub.

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:51:06 +0800

I think the subject line should be changed, and it should probably
mention the WG Chairs beer evening, not just wednesday night.

dbh 

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave CROCKER
> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:43 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: FW: Gordon Biersch for Wednesday evening ?
> 
> is it, indeed, still GB?
> 
> What time?
> 
> d/
>

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:54:12 +0800

well, thanks for raising an issue, but i'm now thoroughly confused (rather than 
my usual state of only partially confused.)

What night?  What time?  What venue? are currently in force here?

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:21:19 -0500

> What night?  What time?  What venue? are currently in force here?

Wednesday, after the plenary, at Le Ble d'Or.  From my other note:

---------------------------------------------------

Cool... looks good.

All: Shall we go there, Le Ble d'Or (Golden Wheat), on Wednesday?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%E9%87%91%E8%89%B2%E4%B8%89%E9%BA%A5,+taipei&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=25.037005,121.564493&spn=0.010634,0.016887&hq=%E9%87%91%E8%89%B2%E4%B8%89%E9%BA%A5,&hnear=Taipei+City,+Taiwan&t=m&vpsrc=6&z=16

It's just a short walk from the Hyatt.
---------------------------------------------------

For the other questions: This is something that was arranged by Henrik
for a long time, as a way for the WG chairs to get together, get to
know each other, talk about their various WGs, trade stories and
ideas, and [drink beer (or whatever else)].  In recent times, Henrik
has stepped out, but others are trying to step in, sometimes tripping
a little on the way (and I don't mean "tripping" in the late-1960s
sense, no).

Tim Chown has checked out the venue and says that it looks good and
has room.  So, let's all walk over there after the plenary, and see
what we have to say to each other over some food and drink.

Barry
(chairing appsawg, marf, oauth)

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:39:44 -0500

> Wednesday, after the plenary, at Le Ble d'Or.

More information...

>From RCWang:

Le Ble d'Or is at the B1F of the Eslite Book Store. Just walk toward
the MRT station and turn right at the SongKao Rd. The book store is at
your left hand side before the department store.
Open from 12:00-24:00. And the happy hour is 15:00-17:00. Buy 1 and
get another for free in this period.

>From Tim Chown:

金色三麥  Le Ble d'Or
110 Taiwan Taipei City Sinyi District松高
http://www.lebledor.com.tw/index.php
Lies within 10-15 mins walk from the Hyatt, just past city hall and on
the first floor under a shopping centre. Quite dark, lots of room with
probably a couple of hundred seats. The waiters are dressed in German
beer festival style.  A good range of food, and four main local brew
beers: a dunkel, a lager beer, a honey beer and a seasonal beer.  The
honey and seasonal beers were pretty good.  Ask for tasters and you'll
get some samples.  Some pics:
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/ArgyleGuy/Travel/IMG_2695.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/ArgyleGuy/Travel/IMG_2700.jpg

Barry

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:45:06 -0800

> Wednesday, after the plenary, at Le Ble d'Or.  From my other note:

I went there last night (with Tim Chown). The location is indeed what
I wrote below. It's 1 level below ground (B1). It's a big space which
can easily accommodate everyone. The beer was pretty good IMO. There
is also food.

The place has kind of a German atmosphere.

Stig

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:46:46 +0800

>> Wednesday, after the plenary, at Le Ble d'Or.

Or just follow the large crowd of WG chairs as they stream out of the 
plenary... :)

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:42:16 +0000

> can easily accommodate everyone. The beer was pretty good IMO. There

If we head for the tables towards the rear, there's lots of scope to talk and move between tables, to address the problem mentioned earlier. The tables near the front are more compartmentalised and so less 'social'.

Tim

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:37:37 +1300

Question: At one time, Henrik always invited the Gen-ART reviewers
to this delightful soirée. Shall I relay the invitation to the Gen-ART crew?

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2011-11-15 14:21, Barry Leiba wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> BOFCHAIRS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bofchairs

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:33:33 -0500

> to this delightful soirée. Shall I relay the invitation to the Gen-ART crew?

Bien sûr.  We're not an exclusive club, here!

Barry

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:59:53 -0800

> Bien sûr.  We're not an exclusive club, here!

Just a little heads up here. The place is inside the basement of a
shopping centre. Until 8-9pm some time you can easily enter at any
door and head down to the basement.

However, it seems that after that, there is only one entrance open,
which leads directly to the pub. This entrance is near the SW corner
of the building (on the south side). So if you walk north on Songzhi
road, there is until 8-9pm an entrance directly in front of you. But
later on you would have to head west just a little bit, to find the
one open entrance.

This is not as hard as it sounds. The main thing is that if you hit
a locked door, the place is still open, you just need to find the
right door.

Stig