Subject: Beta testing of upcoming draft tracking service

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 14:28:44 +0100

Hi,

Introduction
------------

We now have an implementation of RFC 6293 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6293)
"Requirements for Internet-Draft Tracking by the IETF Community in the
Datatracker" ready for some testing.

It would be much appreciated if you would assist in testing this.

If you go to http://beta.community.yaco.es/ you'll see a pretty ordinary
datatracker first page; in order to test the new functionality you'll need
to get and use a test login.

Account Setup
-------------

You acquire a test login by clicking on the 'New Account' link at the top
of the lefthand menubar, and then follow the 'Request an account' link.
Fill in the email address you want to use, and you'll be sent an email with
further instructions.  Once you've completed those, you'll have an account
on the beta server which you can use to test the draft tracking service.

Setting up documents to track
-----------------------------

Use your account to log in.  You will now see a new link in the lefthand
menubar, under "Community ID lists": "Personal list".  Click this, and
you'll be taken to a page with 5 tabs, where you can set up the rules
for drafts you want to follow, and see the generated status page which
lists all the drafts you've chosen.

So far, so good -- it would be appreciated if you would test this out, and
send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list about what
you find.

Triggering notifications
------------------------

There is one part of the functionality which is complete, but will require
manual work by the testers in order to manifest:  Normally, email
notifications about changes to the documents you have set up for tracking
will be sent out as soon as an AD, Chair, or someone from the secretariat
goes in and changes status for a document.  As this isn't happening on the
beta server, it is required that you as a tester go in and make changes in
order to see change notifications coming.

The developer has set up a particular user which has been given authority
to change the state of any draft in any stream: 'stream_user' with password
'stream_user'.  Please use this to go in and change the state of documents
you have set up tracking for, in order to exercise the notification feature.

We are aware that this is less than ideal, but we don't currently have any
way to trigger changes in the beta server based on actions taken in the
production server.

Questions, feedback
-------------------

As mentioned earlier, please send questions and feedback to the mailing
list set up for the project: [email-masked].

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:24:32 +0100

Hi again,

One more point related to this:  When you create a test login, please
use a throwaway password, not something you'd not care for people seeing.

The reason is that although no passwords are stored in database or
apache login digest file, passwords will be visible if something goes
wrong when you set up your account and a crash log including stack dump
is created.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 18:17:28 -0500

Why does the searches tab require an extra link to actually do the search?  Couldn't the search form appear below the instructions?

Russ

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:07:32 -0800

Can we do draft submissions followed by working group acceptance of a
document?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Henrik Levkowetz
> Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 10:25 AM
> To: WG Chairs
> Subject: Re: Beta testing of upcoming draft tracking service
> 
> Hi again,
> 
> One more point related to this:  When you create a test login, please use
a
> throwaway password, not something you'd not care for people seeing.
> 
> The reason is that although no passwords are stored in database or apache
> login digest file, passwords will be visible if something goes wrong when
you
> set up your account and a crash log including stack dump is created.
> 
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> 	Henrik
> 
> > If you go to http://beta.community.yaco.es/ you'll see a pretty
> > ordinary datatracker first page; in order to test the new
> > functionality you'll need to get and use a test login.
> >
> > Account Setup
> > -------------
> >
> > You acquire a test login by clicking on the 'New Account' link at the
> > top of the lefthand menubar, and then follow the 'Request an account'
link.
> > Fill in the email address you want to use, and you'll be sent an email
> > with further instructions.  Once you've completed those, you'll have
> > an account on the beta server which you can use to test the draft
tracking
> service.
> > Use your account to log in.  You will now see a new link in the
> > lefthand menubar, under "Community ID lists": "Personal list".  Click
> > this, and you'll be taken to a page with 5 tabs, where you can set up
> > the rules for drafts you want to follow, and see the generated status
> > page which lists all the drafts you've chosen.
> >
> > So far, so good -- it would be appreciated if you would test this out,
> > and send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list
> > about what you find.
> >
> > Triggering notifications
> > ------------------------
> >
> > There is one part of the functionality which is complete, but will
> > require manual work by the testers in order to manifest:  Normally,
> > email notifications about changes to the documents you have set up for
> > tracking will be sent out as soon as an AD, Chair, or someone from the
> > secretariat goes in and changes status for a document.  As this isn't
> > happening on the beta server, it is required that you as a tester go
> > in and make changes in order to see change notifications coming.
> >
> > The developer has set up a particular user which has been given
> > authority to change the state of any draft in any stream:
> > 'stream_user' with password 'stream_user'.  Please use this to go in
> > and change the state of documents you have set up tracking for, in order
to
> exercise the notification feature.
> >
> > We are aware that this is less than ideal, but we don't currently have
> > any way to trigger changes in the beta server based on actions taken
> > in the production server.
> >
> > Questions, feedback
> > -------------------
> >
> > As mentioned earlier, please send questions and feedback to the
> > mailing list set up for the project: [email-masked].
> >
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > 	Henrik
> >

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 13:15:06 +0100

Hi Jim,

> Can we do draft submissions followed by working group acceptance of a

You should be able to, although I've not tested doing draft submissions
against the beta server.  If anything, there might be a problem with
missing draft repository directories, but we can fix that if there is
a problem.

Best regards,

	Henrik