Subject: WG Chairs beer evening on Wednesday

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:42:14 -0500

The working group chairs have generally gathered for beer, food, and
networking on IETF Wednesday evenings.  It's a good opportunity for
the chairs to get to know each other, share stories and hints and
tips, and otherwise schmooze.

Does anyone have a good idea of a place to go to do this here?  We
usually look for someplace with a good selection of locally brewed
and/or craft beers, and with decent food and enough space to
accommodate us.

Barry

---

From: "Moriarty, Kathleen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:47:04 -0500

I went to Ted's near the downtown Marriott for lunch and the food was great!  Bison burgers are thief specialty and they accommodate dietary restrictions well.  Someone else would have to weigh in on the beer list, I didn't look at it.

Kathleen 

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:51:50 -0500

http://whiteoakkitchen.com/cocktails/beer/
Two blocks, nice atmosphere, has a private room, but that's probably
better for dinner.

Meehans, in the Westin, is an Irish pub with a good collection of food and
brews, too.

Lee

>and/or craft beers, and with decent food and enough space to

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:54:56 -0500

There are a number of potential options:

* Max Lager and Gordon Biersch -- brewpubs, but IMHO not necessarily all
that good or local.

* Taco Mac -- a local chain that's known for a decent selection of beers
on tap and good "wings" (there's one on peachtree st in Midtown), near the
Midtown MARTA

* 5 seasons brewery in West Midtown.  IMHO good beer and good food.  They
could probably handle the group if someone called ahead but I'm not 100%
sure about that.  However it's not easily accessible from MARTA.

* The Brickstore in Decatur -- ~24 beers on tap and ~1000 beers in
bottles. I think we could reserve a section of the restaurant.  It's
accessible from the Decatur MARTA stop on the east side.

There may be other options but these are the first that come to mind.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:58:56 -0500

I checked out this place a couple of weeks ago, and would strongly 
recommend it for chair beer. It's a short walk from the hotel, and has 
an impressively large selection of German beers on tap (along with a 
reasonable selection of bottles from other countries, like Belgium):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/der-biergarten-atlanta

They seem to have a lot of space, and weren't overly crowded.

/a

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 16:06:10 -0500

> * Max Lager and Gordon Biersch -- brewpubs, but IMHO not necessarily all

re: local: wasn't there a Gordon Biersch in Taipei?

cheers, Brian

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:17:14 -0500

> re: local: wasn't there a Gordon Biersch in Taipei?
It's a chain of brewpubs.

it's local to the san jose area perhaps.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:38:52 -0500

> it's local to the san jose area perhaps.

The first GB is the one in Palo Alto, CA.  at its start, it targeted 
better-quality food than the average place.  No idea what the one in 
Atlanta is like.

d/

-- 
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:21:02 -0500

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I checked out this place a couple of weeks ago, and would strongly recommend
> it for chair beer. It's a short walk from the hotel, and has an impressively
> large selection of German beers on tap (along with a reasonable selection of
> bottles from other countries, like Belgium):
>

This sounds promising.  Derek, what do you think?

Someone also suggested, off list, TAP in Midtown, near the Midtown
MARTA station: http://www.tapat1180.com/home.php

Thoughts?

b

---

From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:42:26 -0500

On Mon, November 5, 2012 5:21 pm, Barry Leiba wrote:
>> recommend

I've never actually been there, so I don't know.

> MARTA station: http://www.tapat1180.com/home.php

My feeling is that while I really like TAP, I don't know how well they
would be able to handle a group our size.

-derek

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:17:32 -0500

Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:
    AR> on tap (along with a reasonable selection of bottles from other
    AR> countries, like Belgium):

    AR> http://www.yelp.com/biz/der-biergarten-atlanta

sounds good to me.

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 08:53:47 -0500

went to Max Lager last night.
It was good.  

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 16:26:03 +0200

> went to Max Lager last night.

What a coincidence! So did I.

> It was good.  

Yes, but I'm not sure they can handle all of us. How many of us are there (statistically speaking)?

Yoav

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:51:46 -0500

> Yes, but I'm not sure they can handle all of us.
> How many of us are there (statistically speaking)?

Yeh, that's a problem: it's really variable, and hard to tell.  I
usually figure we'll have 30 to 40, but sometimes it's fewer, and
sometimes more.

Barry

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:23:49 -0800

> went to Max Lager last night.

I've been there a couple of times too now. Fairly good and
easy to get to. Probably the best option near the hotel.

Stig

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 14:17:06 -0500

>> went to Max Lager last night.

    YN> What a coincidence! So did I.

    >> It was good.

    YN> Yes, but I'm not sure they can handle all of us. How many of us
    YN> are there (statistically speaking)?

I think, if we don't all arrive at exactly the same time, and we give them
warning, it will be okay.

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:52:59 -0500

> warning, it will be okay.
...
> easy to get to. Probably the best option near the hotel.

OK, this seems to have the most positive comments so far.  I'll give
them a call and see if they can accommodate a large group.

I'll confirm here after I call.

Barry

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 07:35:12 -0500

> I'll confirm here after I call.

Damn... I didn't get to calling.  I'll try to do it when they open
today.  But maybe we should just plan to head over there, and use what
space they have.  So, Max Lager [ http://maxlagers.com/about/location/
] after the plenary tonight (Wednesday).

Barry

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:55:01 +0100

Hmmm, Max Lager's seems to be quite good. Please test Ruination and Back in Black ( theAC/DC brew). And some please have an Arrogant Bastard for me :). I've only seen that "oaked" for a couple of years,  this seems to be the original ! 

Skickat från min iPhone

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Nov 2012 16:28:00 -0000

>] after the plenary tonight (Wednesday).

The IRTF dinner is tonight, but we'll swing by afterwards if you're
still there.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:21:23 +0000

> ] after the plenary tonight (Wednesday).

Was there for lunch, six of their own beers, good food.  Quite an amount of space.

Tim

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:04:27 -0600

> Was there for lunch, six of their own beers, good food.  Quite an amount of space.

We went there at lunch, so, cold sober for the people at my table, but 
my food was good, everyone else's looked good, and I didn't hear any 
complaints (of about 16-18). They were willing to do individual checks 
for us (with gratuity added - 18 percent).

I'd go again.

Spencer

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:57:00 +0000

On 7 Nov 2012, at 20:04, Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We went there at lunch, so, cold sober for the people at my table, but my food was good, everyone else's looked good, and I didn't hear any complaints (of about 16-18). They were willing to do individual checks for us (with gratuity added - 18 percent).

Ooops, I gave a tip too. No wonder the guy was happy :)

Tim

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:08:50 -0600

Yes - the food was quite good and they were able to prepare it to meet my
needs (GF).  They can adjust any of the salads (and my guess is entrees) to
accommodate dietary restrictions.

Mary.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Spencer Dawkins
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>>> space they have.  So, Max Lager [ http://maxlagers.com/about/**location/<http://maxlagers.com/about/location/>
> We went there at lunch, so, cold sober for the people at my table, but my
> food was good, everyone else's looked good, and I didn't hear any
> complaints (of about 16-18). They were willing to do individual checks for
> us (with gratuity added - 18 percent).
>
> I'd go again.
>
> Spencer
>