Subject: RFP for IETF Meeting Network Services

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:17:33 -0800

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC), on behalf of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF), announces this Request for Proposals for IETF Meeting Network Services.  The successful bidder 
will enter into a contract with the Internet Society.

The IAOC is seeking vendors to perform network services for  (IETF) meetings beginning in 2013 for a 
three-year (3) period, with an opportunity for two (2) one-year extensions. Generally, the services would
include: performing a pre-meeting site survey; developing a detailed network design; installing all equipment; 
conducting tests; and providing operations, systems management; user support functions during the meeting; 
and storage of IETF equipment. This is an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract.

The IETF conducts three, one-week meetings a year throughout the world.  Attendance is in the range of 
1,100 to 1,300 per meeting.  The meetings are typically conducted in March, July and November.  Meeting 
venues include hotels with conference space (the preference), as well as standalone conference centers.  
Meeting space requirements are typically 40,000 square feet, comprised of 8 meeting rooms holding between 
100 – 500 people; one Plenary room holding 1,000 people; a 120-seat terminal room; 8 offices; and a 
registration area.  

Generally, the wireless network must service all meeting rooms, terminal room, offices, the registration area, 
and public spaces.  Limited wired services are required in the meeting rooms and registration area, however,
the terminal room requires upwards of 150 drops.  Audio streaming and Jabber conference rooms are provided 
in addition to the wired and wireless network services for the meeting.

Connecting the IETF meeting to the Internet is done through a pair of redundant circuits. These circuits 
historically consist of a highspeed primary link and a lower speed backup link.  These links are generally
brought in specifically for the event, though existing venue links can sometimes be utilized for backup 
purposes.  

The IETF has equipment available to be used by the vendor, which is subject to change over time.  Vendor is 
to provide all other networking equipment including network servers, routers, switches, access points, and
cabling, and any equipment required by its staff in fulfilling the requirements of this contract.

Performance goals of the network are support of up to 2000 simultaneous connected devices with connectivity 
availability of at least 99% during the hours when session meetings are in progress, as well as the provision of 
Internet connectivity for headquarters hotel IETF guest rooms.

The RFP can be found at: <http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html>

The anticipated schedule is as follows:

	a. RFP Issued:  November 13, 2012.

	b. Questions must be submitted by November 26, 2012 to [email-masked].
	Responses will be posted by December 3, 2012 at 
	< http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html>

	c. Proposal submitted by email due no later than 5 PM ET on December 17, 2012.

	d. Proposal Review Period:  December 17 - 31, 2012.

	e. Notification of selection:  January 10, 2013

	f. Contract Negotiation and Agreement:  January 14 - 28, 2013.

	g. Contract Accepted:  February 14, 2013.

	h. Contract Commencement: March 1, 2013.

Proposals must be received via email at [email-masked] no later than December 17, 2012 5:00 P.M. ET.  All 
questions/inquiries must be submitted in writing and must be received no later than midnight, November 26, 
2012.  Responses to questions and inquiries shall be posted online at:  <http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html> by 
December 3, 2012. 

The point of contact regarding this RFP is the IETF Administrative Director, Ray Pelletier, [email-masked].

Ray Pelletier