Subject: Web-based email list archive search and browsing tool ready for use

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:18:16 +0200

Chairs:

The tool realizing the requirements we developed in RFC 6778 is ready for your use. We are announcing it to the working group chairs first to bring the load onto this new service incrementally. We will send an announcement to the entire community later this week.

You'll find the service at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/

If you choose to log in, use your datatracker credentials.

If you encounter problems or have suggestions for future improvements, please file a report using http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket 

If you find spam, please send a request to remove it including a link to the message to [email-masked].

We are still working towards providing IMAP access to the archives. That is not part of the tool at this time. The old archives will continue to receive new messages and will be available in their current locations until further notice.

Early testers have reported this tool to be very useful. I hope you also find it to be so.

Jari

---

From: "Bradner, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:27:10 +0000

seems slow even with out many people using it

how far back does the database go?  (I did the normal ‘search-for-myself’ and only found postings since July 1996)

Scott

---

From: "Bradner, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:32:40 +0000

also seems to be quite incomplete - I find a number of responses to messages I sent on various lists but
do not find the messages themselves

Scott

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:35:00 -0600

(removing IETF chair from the recipient list)

Thanks Scott -

These go as far back as the existing archives go. If you can find a 
message in either the mbox files or the mhonarc archives that's not 
here, please send a reference to it and we'll see why it's not here.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:37:04 -0600

It looks like newer messages haven't been imported in the last few days 
(the most recent I'm seeing on several lists is from Jan 14).
We'll find out why and get this up to date.

RjS

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:08:51 -0500

You had better luck then I did!

After clicking date to sort search results:

Server Error (500)

Lou

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:46:43 -0600

Hi Lou -

Is that repeatable? If so, can you send me the URL your browser is 
pointed to just before you hit that sort?

RjS

---

From: "Bradner, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:12:02 +0000

for whatever its worth, a grep through my archives of just the ITEF list (never mind the many other lists)
comes up with 25K hits (more than one per message in some cases) but the search tool only gets about 6.4K messages
across all lists 

Scott

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:58:30 -0600

As you might have already noticed, this was addressed, as was the 500 
issue Lou was running into.

Scott notes that he has found several messages for ietf@ in his archive 
(and that are in the mbox files) that don't show here.
They are not lost - they are moved away. The load into this archive used 
the contents of mhonarc as a filter since we
have several years of work of spam being identified and suppressed 
there. If mhonarc wasn't populated correctly for those
very old messages, we can adjust.

If you find (particularly for very old lists) that there are messages 
missing that you think _should_ be there, please look
for them in mhonarc. If you find them there, please send me a note with 
a pointer to the message in mhonarc.
If you find they're not there, please open a ticket - if it's easy to 
see a date before which the import into mhonarc looks wrong,
include that in the ticket.

Thanks for your help,

RjS

On 1/21/14, 10:37 AM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> It looks like newer messages haven't been imported in the last few 
> days (the most recent I'm seeing on several lists is from Jan 14).
>> The tool realizing the requirements we developed in RFC 6778 is ready 
>> for your use. We are announcing it to the working group chairs first 
>> to bring the load onto this new service incrementally. We will send 
>> an announcement to the entire community later this week.
>>
>> If you encounter problems or have suggestions for future 
>> improvements, please file a report using 
>> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket
>>
>> We are still working towards providing IMAP access to the archives. 
>> That is not part of the tool at this time. The old archives will 
>> continue to receive new messages and will be available in their 
>> current locations until further notice.
>>